What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ultimate QLD Origin Dream team - one big problem

Michael W

Juniors
How great would it be for there to be a State of Origin series between Queensland and New South Wales dream teams where every player is playing at their prime best. I have been thinking about what the best QLD team would be, but there is one massive selection problem:

Wally Lewis, Johnathan Thurston, Allan Langer.

There are only two halves positions. What do you do?

It seems almost absurd that any of these players would be left out of the team - do you try to fit them all in by playing one of the players out of the halves. Could Wally Lewis be the dream team's lock? Would he be as awesome at lock as five-eighth? (I could be corrected, but I think Wally Lewis did play lock in the first Origin or two). Could Johnathan Thurston play at centre? Again, would he have as big an impact at centre as he does playing in the halves? And remember to take into account defense as well as attack - while Thurston is brilliant in attack he isn't exactly a noted defender - would him playing in the centres make the defensive line weaker than him defending in his usual halfback or five-eighth position? The only position I can think of that Allan Langer could play outside of the halves would be hooker but would Allan Langer really beat Cameron Smith or Steve Walters for the position of hooker?

I think the ultimate QLD dream team would be awesomely dangerous in attack if it had all three players - Lewis, Thurston, and Langer in the team - can you imagine the headache for NSW and the confusion in could cause in their defensive line if it had to contend with the playmaking threat of Lewis, Thurston, and Langer all at the same time?

So back to my question: Lewis, Thurston, Langer - two halves positions - what do you do?

Michael W

Michael W

Juniors
To JamesRustle and mozza91,

I thought I signed up to a forum in which I could have respectable discussions on the great sport of Rugby League. I hope you are not representative of other members of this forum.

Michael

Nice Beaver

First Grade

I thought I signed up to a forum in which I could have respectable discussions on the great sport of Rugby League. I hope you are not representative of other members of this forum.

Michael

Welcome aboard Michael W.

Please remember when you switch accounts to stay in character.

Bombs away!

Oh, and JR and Mozza - spot on fellas.

Michael W

Juniors
Hi Burwood,

Great point about Lockyer - I actually have him as fullback in my dream team but good point to bring him up - he was great at five-eighth!

Michael

Michael W

Juniors
Hi Nice Beaver,

I'm confused - is there another member with a similar username you are confusing me with? This is the first time I joined up - I've never been on this forum before.

Michael

Michael W

Juniors
Hi myrrh ken,

Yep Jason Smith was a great player but, with due respect, I don't think he is as good as Lewis, Thurston, or Langer.

Michael

Clifferd

Coach
Up until today I think Lockyer/Thurston in the halves

A modern day players skill set is just far superior to those of the older eras, just the way the games evolved

No doubting Lewis/Langers toughness though

Charlie124

First Grade
Ingredients
Serves: 10

• 1 whole chicken
  • 4 carrots, halved
  • 4 stalks celery, halved
  • 1 large onion, halved
  • water to cover
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Preparation:5min › Cook:2hours › Ready in:2hours5min

1. Place the chicken, carrots, celery and onion in a large soup pot; cover with cold water. Heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken meat falls off of the bones (skim off foam every so often).
  2. Take everything out of the pot and strain the stock. Pick the meat off of the bones and chop or shred. Chop the carrots, celery and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return the chicken, carrots, celery and onion to the pot, pouring back the stock. Reheat and and serve.

JamesRustle

First Grade

Michael
Hi Michael,
What is your squad by position and why and which players/positions did you agonise over... and what did you do with your halves dilemma. Gives us a bit of material to respectfully discuss.... or shred to pieces.
Fond regards

Pedge1971

First Grade
How great would it be for there to be a State of Origin series between Queensland and New South Wales dream teams where every player is playing at their prime best. I have been thinking about what the best QLD team would be, but there is one massive selection problem:

Wally Lewis, Johnathan Thurston, Allan Langer.

There are only two halves positions. What do you do?

It seems almost absurd that any of these players would be left out of the team - do you try to fit them all in by playing one of the players out of the halves. Could Wally Lewis be the dream team's lock? Would he be as awesome at lock as five-eighth? (I could be corrected, but I think Wally Lewis did play lock in the first Origin or two). Could Johnathan Thurston play at centre? Again, would he have as big an impact at centre as he does playing in the halves? And remember to take into account defense as well as attack - while Thurston is brilliant in attack he isn't exactly a noted defender - would him playing in the centres make the defensive line weaker than him defending in his usual halfback or five-eighth position? The only position I can think of that Allan Langer could play outside of the halves would be hooker but would Allan Langer really beat Cameron Smith or Steve Walters for the position of hooker?

I think the ultimate QLD dream team would be awesomely dangerous in attack if it had all three players - Lewis, Thurston, and Langer in the team - can you imagine the headache for NSW and the confusion in could cause in their defensive line if it had to contend with the playmaking threat of Lewis, Thurston, and Langer all at the same time?

So back to my question: Lewis, Thurston, Langer - two halves positions - what do you do?

Michael W

Lot of time spent setting up a thread NSW would murder anyway GW.

mozza91

Coach

Michael
I gave you several options mate don't be greedy. If not I'm sure there's an aquarium somewhere we can go to sort it out.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Hi Nice Beaver,

I'm confused - is there another member with a similar username you are confusing me with? This is the first time I joined up - I've never been on this forum before.

Michael

Hi Michael

Don't be confused, pet.

You are having the time of your life at the moment! Having cooked up another alt that will have all the punters fooled.

You dastardly bastard, you.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I gave you several options mate don't be greedy. If not I'm sure there's an aquarium somewhere we can go to sort it out.

Ohhhhh aquarium challenge!!!

I like the cut of your jib.

Say hi to Awesome Person aka Michael aka GW for me.