What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ultimate QLD Origin Dream team - one big problem

Michael W

Juniors
Hi JamesRustle,

The team I tentatively had in mind was:

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Billy Slater
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Israel Folau
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Allan Langer
8. Arthur Beetson
9. Cameron Smith
10. Shane Webcke
11. Brad Thorn
12. Bob Linder
13. Wally Lewis

14. Petero Civonoceva
15. Gorden Tallis
16. Trevor Gillmeister
17. Wendell Sailor

As it is getting late, I don't have time to do a detailed analysis of this team, but maybe sometime in the next few days I can make some comments on my tentative dream team.

Michael

Michael W

Juniors
Hi mozza91,

I'm a big believer in free speech but your comment sounds like a threat. Look, clearly something is going on that I'm not aware of. I joined up to have an intelligent respectful conversation about Rugby League - the main reason I joined up was specifically to discuss best of time teams. Clearly with whatever is going on it won't be productive for me to do this. As such, I will simply make a comment sometime on my tentative Queensland dream team in the next few days (it is late now and I really need to get to bed) and then after that I will cancel my account on this site since it appears that with whatever is going on I won't be able to have a meaningful conversation on here.

Michael

myrrh ken

First Grade
Mw, you need to gauge the waters before swimming with sharks. Your long winded first post is reminiscent of many trolls on this forum.

There is an interstate sub forum that you should have posted in. Better yet, join an existing discussion. This one I'm sure has been visited many times before.

Your team is fine. Picking the qld team is pretty easy and non controversial.

But seriously Jason smith deserves a go. Otherwise he will be forgotten.

Danish

Referee
I'd leave Langer out, personally. Largely because I always liked him as a player and I'd want to spare him from the merciless beating that would be incurred at the hands of the ultimate NSW origin side in this hypothetical match up.....

mozza91

Coach
Hi mozza91,

I'm a big believer in free speech but your comment sounds like a threat. Look, clearly something is going on that I'm not aware of. I joined up to have an intelligent respectful conversation about Rugby League - the main reason I joined up was specifically to discuss best of time teams. Clearly with whatever is going on it won't be productive for me to do this. As such, I will simply make a comment sometime on my tentative Queensland dream team in the next few days (it is late now and I really need to get to bed) and then after that I will cancel my account on this site since it appears that with whatever is going on I won't be able to have a meaningful conversation on here.

Michael
We really have something Michael. Don't leave me.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Hi JamesRustle,

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Billy Slater
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Israel Folau
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Allan Langer
8. Arthur Beetson
9. Cameron Smith
10. Shane Webcke
11. Brad Thorn
12. Bob Linder
13. Wally Lewis

14. Petero Civonoceva
15. Gorden Tallis
16. Trevor Gillmeister
17. Wendell Sailor

As it is getting late, I don't have time to do a detailed analysis of this team, but maybe sometime in the next few days I can make some comments on my tentative dream team.

Michael
Kiwis and NSW people abound. Shock....

no name

Coach
Hi JamesRustle,

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Billy Slater
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Israel Folau
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Allan Langer
8. Arthur Beetson
9. Cameron Smith
10. Shane Webcke
11. Brad Thorn
12. Bob Linder
13. Wally Lewis

14. Petero Civonoceva
15. Gorden Tallis
16. Trevor Gillmeister
17. Wendell Sailor

Michael
No room for the great John Folau?

Michael W

Juniors
hi myrrh ken,

Thanks for shedding some light on why I was getting some not so nice replies. Sorry, I didn't realize that I should have posted my post in a different forum. Sorry also if my first post was too long - it's been years since I have joined any internet forum and so I am not up to date on what the usual way of doing things are. Still, some of the replies I was getting were uncalled for. Anyway, will still be a man of my word and will delete my account from this forum sometime in the near future - I will at some stage make some comments on the team I picked, leave it for a few days for any people who are interested to comment on my analysis, and then will just delete my account - already promised I would.

Michael

Canard

Immortal
hi myrrh ken,

Thanks for shedding some light on why I was getting some not so nice replies. Sorry, I didn't realize that I should have posted my post in a different forum. Sorry also if my first post was too long - it's been years since I have joined any internet forum and so I am not up to date on what the usual way of doing things are. Still, some of the replies I was getting were uncalled for. Anyway, will still be a man of my word and will delete my account from this forum sometime in the near future - I will at some stage make some comments on the team I picked, leave it for a few days for any people who are interested to comment on my analysis, and then will just delete my account - already promised I would.

Michael

What's your favourite concert venue?

Altamont or San Alto??

isaiah

Bench
How great would it be for there to be a State of Origin series between Queensland and New South Wales dream teams where every player is playing at their prime best. I have been thinking about what the best QLD team would be, but there is one massive selection problem:

Wally Lewis, Johnathan Thurston, Allan Langer.

There are only two halves positions. What do you do?

It seems almost absurd that any of these players would be left out of the team - do you try to fit them all in by playing one of the players out of the halves. Could Wally Lewis be the dream team's lock? Would he be as awesome at lock as five-eighth? (I could be corrected, but I think Wally Lewis did play lock in the first Origin or two). Could Johnathan Thurston play at centre? Again, would he have as big an impact at centre as he does playing in the halves? And remember to take into account defense as well as attack - while Thurston is brilliant in attack he isn't exactly a noted defender - would him playing in the centres make the defensive line weaker than him defending in his usual halfback or five-eighth position? The only position I can think of that Allan Langer could play outside of the halves would be hooker but would Allan Langer really beat Cameron Smith or Steve Walters for the position of hooker?

I think the ultimate QLD dream team would be awesomely dangerous in attack if it had all three players - Lewis, Thurston, and Langer in the team - can you imagine the headache for NSW and the confusion in could cause in their defensive line if it had to contend with the playmaking threat of Lewis, Thurston, and Langer all at the same time?

So back to my question: Lewis, Thurston, Langer - two halves positions - what do you do?

Michael W
Wally was a lock for valleys when he first started. Norm Carr was so entrenched as the qld lock and the state was so weak in five eighths that Lewis was selected as a 6 without playing much top grade there

Canard

Immortal
Wally was a lock for valleys when he first started. Norm Carr was so entrenched as the qld lock and the state was so weak in five eighths that Lewis was selected as a 6 without playing much top grade there

1100% incorrect. Maybe the most incorrect post in LU history.

Alan Smith was the first ever QLD Origin 5/8th as he was playing for North Sydney in this role.

Thus Wally was selected at Lock for QLDs first Origin game.

isaiah

Bench
1100% incorrect. Maybe the most incorrect post in LU history.

Alan Smith was the first ever QLD Origin 5/8th as he was playing for North Sydney in this role.

Thus Wally was selected at Lock for QLDs first Origin game.
My facts were about Lewis for valleys and Carr for the 79 qld side and the first two interstate games of 1980

isaiah

Bench
Hi JamesRustle,

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Billy Slater
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Israel Folau
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Allan Langer
8. Arthur Beetson
9. Cameron Smith
10. Shane Webcke
11. Brad Thorn
12. Bob Linder
13. Wally Lewis

14. Petero Civonoceva
15. Gorden Tallis
16. Trevor Gillmeister
17. Wendell Sailor

Michael
No way did brad thorn do enough to even make the second best squad of 17

isaiah

Bench
How is that related to State of Origin??
I was replying to michael's comment about Lewis playing lock in the first one or two origin games by explaining what position wally generally played and what the interstate side needed. Wally was one of a kind. The game was different positionally then in defence too. The halfback would defend in behind the line. Wally would play there in defence, forcing mark Murray to defend in the front line.

Michael W

Juniors
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back with comments on my team - had so many things to do the last few weeks. So here are the few brief comments that I promised I would give:

I decided that the best way to fit all of Thurston, Langer, and Lewis in the team was to put Lewis at Lock - the prospect of having someone with the ball skills like Lewis playing in the forwards seemed better than moving Thurston to the centres.

I picked Israel Folau on one of the wings. What got him over the line was his ability in the air. A lot of the consideration for my selections isn't just the question of who are the best players in and of themselves - it was trying to get the best balance in the team - for example as many different types of attacking threats as possible - so Folau gets in based on his great skills in the air.

Likewise it was Brad Thorn's high jumping ability that got him over the line in to my team. Not only would NSW have to contend with Israel Folau jumping above the rest out on the wing under the high ball but they would also have to contend with Brad Thorn jumping above the rest if the high ball were to be put out in the centre of the field.

While Wendell Sailor is the utility back in my team, I would actually like to have him playing some time in the second row. I think having someone of his size and speed in the more centre part of the field for a bit of the game would be a bonus for QLD - he could cause havoc of a short perfectly timed pass to him playing in the second row.

Anyway there just a few of my comments - obviously I could write a lot more analysis on this team but I think I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for reading.

Latest posts