What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The very best - fullbacks

DiegoNT

First Grade
I always wondered why Tim Brasher never features in these best fullback chats. Was my favourite player as a kid and i always thought that maybe because i was a kid maybe i overhyped him in my mind. Brett Mullins always gets mentioned but didn't he really only have a handful of good years in the mid 90s and even then Brasher regularly outplayed him.
Matthew Ridge is another that seems to be forgetten although i think his reputation and supposed personality rubbed people the wrong way

Mullins exploded in 94 when moved to fullback.It was just one of those freakish years, and he rose to the Kangaroo #1 jersey. He was outstanding again in 95. Unfortunately SL kept him out of the NSW and Kangaroo sides so he never played fullback for NSW, and lost his jersey to Brasher at test level. He was great again in 96 but was shifted to wing for NSW where he killed it at Origin level. In 97 his body began breaking down, and Ken Nagas was shifted to fullback and was absolutely killing it. I think Nagas scored like 7 tries Vs Halifax in the WCC that year. When Mullins returned, Nagas kept him out of the #1 jersey for a while. Over the next 2 years he suffered further injuries and was a shell of his former self. He was shifted back to fullback for 2000, and he played well enough to have Bob Fulton calling for his recall to the NSW side. He never got that chance, and he left the Raiders at the end of the year for the ESL. His return to the NRL in 2002 was successful (albeit on the wing), and I was happy for him that he won a 2nd premiership and finished his career off well after the few years of setbacks he went through.

His form from 94-96 was a real purple patch though. It was probably on par with Hayne 09.

Reactions: Vee

Iafeta

Referee
Come on JJ, please show some sensitivity and take this thread seriously.

I often wonder how David Seage didn't play Origin. If ever there was a player you wanted as the last line of defence, it was David Seage. If you wanted to see a player sweeping out the back to create the overlap it was David Seage.

If you are the opposition of course.

He'd be called the Maroochydore Mauler. If he was from Maroochydore. And a mauler.

Great play by both fullbacks here

That was such a shocking moment at the time, and people talked about it constantly at school in the weeks/months/years after. Looking at the video again, if Mullins swerved a little further to his left in the last 10 metres and clapped on the pace he probably would've made the line. He ran too straight towards the end, probably due to the confidence he had in his speed.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Russell Fairfax was one of the most gifted fullbacks I have ever seen till he broke his leg late in 1975 when Mark Harris fell on top of him in an Amco Cup match, he was never quite the same player after the break.

Modern day, Billy Slater was good but loses points for how he used his legs to slide in and stop tries.Anthony Minichiello in full flight was a thing of beauty to watch, his 100 metre try as the half time siren was sounding against Saints at the SFS will always be remembered.

One of my all time favourites but will never come up in the all time best discussions is Marty Gurr, loved watching him play for the Roosters, in 1983 him and Kevin Hastings had such a great understanding with most of Hasting's kicks ending up in Gurr's arms for tries. Was gutted when he left the Roosters at the end of 1983 to go to Souths, in 1985 he went to Manly and had a few of good years there.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That was such a shocking moment at the time, and people talked about it constantly at school in the weeks/months/years after. Looking at the video again, if Mullins swerved a little further to his left in the last 10 metres and clapped on the pace he probably would've made the line. He ran too straight towards the end, probably due to the confidence he had in his speed.

Yes, watching the clip again , he does seem to straighten in his run at the end probably to make the conversion easier, had he kept on veering to his left I'm sure he would have made the try line, still it was a mighty chase from Seers to bring him down though.

wibble

Bench
I'm very biased, and he didn't get the rep chances a player of his talent should, in my opinion, but I always loved Peachey.

Maybe he wasn't as safe as the very best fullbacks and that was why he didn't represent much. But he was just delightful to watch, always attacking, always gliding around the field looking dangerous.

typicalfan

Coach
Slater fets criticised for using his feet but Minichiello and many other fullbacks used to do the same

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm very biased, and he didn't get the rep chances a player of his talent should, in my opinion, but I always loved Peachey.

Maybe he wasn't as safe as the very best fullbacks and that was why he didn't represent much. But he was just delightful to watch, always attacking, always gliding around the field looking dangerous.

I used to like the Peach, he was a great fullback, I remember watching a game between the Roosters and Cronulla at the SFS and it was just after Richie Barnett came over to the Roosters, he dropped a simple kick on the goal line which gifted Cronulla a try, all the Cronulla supporters were giving us and Barnett heaps, then almost like an identical incident in the 2nd half Peachey dropped a simple kick and gave us an identical try, Roosters won 18-14.

Peachey usually gave the Roosters a bit of trouble when he played against us, just like Wesser used to in his Penrith days.

horrie hastings

First Grade
His return to the NRL in 2002 was successful (albeit on the wing), and I was happy for him that he won a 2nd premiership and finished his career off well after the few years of setbacks he went through.

He did play his first few games at the Roosters at fullback but shifted back onto the wing for Luke Phillips, I am so glad we got good value out of Brett even though it was at the end of his career, I still remember his father Roosters winger and legend Bill Mullins wanted Brett to play at the Roosters and Ron Jones virtually laughed in his face, I still shake my head about that decision from Jones:confused:, Canberra were the winners there.

No love for Rampaging Roy Bell?

Seen plenty over the decades, but Slater (As much as I dislike the dirty little f**k) is up there for mine. I also reckon that arsewipe Tedesco will be mentioned quite a bit in the future....unless he is lumbered with a career-ending injury....Come on karma..

Vee

First Grade
Does Matthew Ridge deserve a mention?
Was a time I thought he was as good as any, particularly with his goal kicking. Today, I put him just a touch below the best but can't really explain why my opinion has changed, probably just good old Aussie bias.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Slater the best (begrudgingly).

Haters gonna hate, and personally I am incredibly disappointed with how he f*cked his legacy the last 2 years, but Brett Stewart was a freak too.

Positional play was perfect and his ability to chime into the backline was brilliant. Before a couple of knee recons, his speed was electric also.

Loved Tim Brasher too. Great fullback.

moffla

Bench
Slater the best (begrudgingly).

Haters gonna hate, and personally I am incredibly disappointed with how he f*cked his legacy the last 2 years, but Brett Stewart was a freak too.

Positional play was perfect and his ability to chime into the backline was brilliant. Before a couple of knee recons, his speed was electric also.

Loved Tim Brasher too. Great fullback.

As much as I hated Stewart (when he wasn't wearing a blues jersey), he was a very good FB. Ended up as 6th all time try scorer too.