What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wheels have well and truly come off the billy cart but there is light at the end of the tunnel

FlameThrower

Bench
I've tried so hard to defend the coach and Club. I hoped that 2017 was finally a turning of the corner..with JDB, Vaughn, Frizzel and a bunch of promising juniors.. we looked so good and we're scoring points, had structure and signing Hunt was the icing on the cake. But once again we've reverted back to years gone past. There is an attitude problem and mental toughness we lack. The coaching staff can't seem to drill in the importance that each game is a must win. The importance of winning to stay in finals contest. I'm absolutely gutted after last night and have lost all faith in this team ever being more than a flash in the pan for a part of the season, but when it counts we fade away.

peeeko

Juniors
I've tried so hard to defend the coach and Club. I hoped that 2017 was finally a turning of the corner..with JDB, Vaughn, Frizzel and a bunch of promising juniors.. we looked so good and we're scoring points, had structure and signing Hunt was the icing on the cake. But once again we've reverted back to years gone past. There is an attitude problem and mental toughness we lack. The coaching staff can't seem to drill in the importance that each game is a must win. The importance of winning to stay in finals contest. I'm absolutely gutted after last night and have lost all faith in this team ever being more than a flash in the pan for a part of the season, but when it counts we fade away.
true, seems so similar to 2015

peeeko

Juniors
I see Dufty as a real positive. He should have scored one try, if Mann looks inside. He made a clean break through the middle, which would have lead to a try lead to a try, if not for a Souths player getting a hand to the ball. He provided a try assist. He is showing, that he can do what he was doing in the 20's in first grade.

I am looking forward to Hunt's arrival next year. I think Hunt and Dufty are going to add a lot to our attack next year.

Maybe Zac Lomax can even take a centre position next year? I think he will 18 at the start of next year. I recall many good young backs debuting as 18 year olds.

I am starting to think that we need 2 new wingers. Vunivalu would be at the top of my shopping list. He is big, fast and good under the high ball.
yet we waited until round 20 to play him?

Gareth67

First Grade
I have often wondered over the last couple of months , that if the team did possess that 1 player who knew how to talk to his teammates , wether we would had be able to turn losses into wins ?

I am of course referring to a leader that would be able to ' gee ' his players up , when needed . To push them just that little bit further , when they had all but given up . With respect to Gareth Widdop , he unfortunately is not that player and I believe never was .

Undoubtedly a great honour to be chosen as a captain of any sporting team , however without the ability to really lead your teammates , it amounts to nothing more then a title .
I am not laying the blame at his feet , as the man has mainly played tremendous footy this year until injured .

However , the Joint Venture must search high and low , until they find a player that can both lift and inspire his teammates , for the Dragons to breathe fire once again .

Old Timer

Coach
I have supported Widdop for ever and a day through thick and thin and TBH he has played much better this year but has proved he is certainly no captain.
He needs to have complete freedom and removed of all responsibility for the team.
If Hunt is the man to take on the line then he is the man to be captain as well because in the side at this present time their isn't even a captains bootlace.
Yes JDB and Thommo are hard nuts and dedicated but brainless IMO and you need someone who will be on the field shouting instructions without fear or favour.
If Hunt can't do it then next year will be far worse than this one.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Packer, Frizell, Vaughan, De Belin and Dugan are all playing injured and Millward has not recruited suitable replacements as Lawrie and Sele are not up to it this year and Marketo and Matthews are past it along with Mc Crone. I would like to see Hutchison and Hind given a run who have good ability. Mc Crone is no half- back.

I have supported Widdop for ever and a day through thick and thin and TBH he has played much better this year but has proved he is certainly no captain.
He needs to have complete freedom and removed of all responsibility for the team.
If Hunt is the man to take on the line then he is the man to be captain as well because in the side at this present time their isn't even a captains bootlace.
Yes JDB and Thommo are hard nuts and dedicated but brainless IMO and you need someone who will be on the field shouting instructions without fear or favour.

I'd make McCrone captain, cause your taking the piss by selecting every week so you may as well make a bird of it and give him the captaincy

JDHD

Juniors

This is an excellent observation. The captaincy was a burden on Widdop last year, and while he flourished earlier this year, he's gone backwards ever since the knee injury. I'd be okay with JDB, but Hunt...I'm not sure. He seems similar to Widdop in terms of mental strength, he can float in and out of games depending on his mindset. It's a real pickle.

That light is a f*ckin bus.

Because one thing is sure when you follow the Dragons, weather it's putting 50 points on a potential top four team or losing to the teams coming dead last and third last in consecutive weeks, when you wake up the day after the game you feel like you've been hit by a bus, muttering to yourself....."well I didn't see that one coming"

denis preston

First Grade
If Mary gets sacked would that save Doust

I agree . Part of me hopes that all the excuses and perceived successes are not there for Mary to bullshit on about , like " our work in progress " .That's why it may be best that we didn't make the 8 as it may ( particularly if we don't win a game from here ) force the boards hand. I'd like to go up to a board member at the game and ask why, why , why ? but I don't know what most look like as they are in hiding and always hide behind Doust. I'd Love an explanation from them.

Packer, Frizell, Vaughan, De Belin and Dugan are all playing injured and Millward has not recruited suitable replacements as Lawrie and Sele are not up to it this year and Marketo and Matthews are past it along with Mc Crone. I would like to see Hutchison and Hind given a run who have good ability. Mc Crone is no half- back.
Lawrie and Sele are not upto it they are in their first year of top grade football and need time.

Hutchison should not and won't play first grade this year the gy has basically missed the entire season and is so far off the pace it would do nothing for his confidence.

Hind isn't part of next years plans so he won't see any first grade again his contract was a token one to make the club look like they rewarded Illawarra players from last year for their season.

Nona and lewis got moved on and Dodd got injured but was never going to see first grade.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I agree . Part of me hopes that all the excuses and perceived successes are not there for Mary to bullshit on about , like " our work in progress " .That's why it may be best that we didn't make the 8 as it may ( particularly if we don't win a game from here ) force the boards hand. I'd like to go up to a board member at the game and ask why, why , why ? but I don't know what most look like as they are in hiding and always hide behind Doust. I'd Love an explanation from them.
Mate where Im finding it hard lately is a few weeks ago when we rolled Manly even though they scared us early in tbe second half I looked methodically at the team and stupidly thought you know what this game might just be the catalyst for us to kick start our season again....and now this......even though we are not world beaters .they give you a glimmer of hope and then they break your heart again......I dont think I have been as frustrated and angry after the full time siren as I was last night....and even though the players faulted I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of McGregor....in those last 10 to 12 mins.I could see the momentum building for Souths and it was evident some of our blokes had slackened, thats when the message should have gone out to the captain via the coach to adjust and rectify the situation.....he just doesnt get how to close out a game....and imo never will

Even if the message got out would the players even listen.

I can say i never saw Hornby or Young slacken off as much as the players do now especially some one like Nighty for such a reliable player in years past now he is unreliable and looks like an utter goose at times.

Widdop is by far one of the worst captains the clubs had in some time he himself is so inconsistant its annoying and imo i have never thought much of him and he should never have been kept.

The players themselves again have let the club down just as much as the coaching staff and i think most bar a few don't give a shit.

slippery5

Juniors
The problem is when we were winning, some thought that was good enough, instead of continually tuning your engine to get better performance ,Mcnoidea was happy to keep a winning team each week & not risk losing power, instead of injecting the likes of Dufty, unfortunately we were running on low fuel & was in need for some preventative maintenance before we blew an engine.
I gave up suggesting Mann should be in at 7 ahead off McCrone & given time to work on his game before it is too late.
Now it is tooooo late. Cut & paste next weeks team Unless injuries come into play.

rasaint

Juniors
Yes we have gone off the boil a bit. OK no argument and as a dragon fan I want to see us winning.

We are not getting thrashed of late just not closing out. Think Raiders game also. Teams are getting 50 put on them. BTW we almost pulled off a last 15 sec miracle against the rabbits.

It looked as though we were gassed against Souths at the end and just didn't close out.
I think we have a few really struggling with injury but getting on the park.

I note some on the forum blame a 'power game' approach. Every team plays a power game and has big forwards trying to lay the platform.

Widdop played well on the weekend. Sublime pass for Nightie try, diffused bombs, tackled well, looked dangerous and kicked conversions from sideline. Duffed one clearing kick nesr the end. He is a class player.

Dufty is looking good in both games. Nice move for the last Dragons try and Mann missed seeing him back up inside. Boy did u see that back up acceleration made up 2 metres in 10. Took bombs well.

We are not done for 8 yet. Half the teams are behind us.

Blake Lawrie looks a tough no nonsense type to me.wouldnt write him off.

blacksafake

First Grade
Yes we have gone off the boil a bit. OK no argument and as a dragon fan I want to see us winning.

We are not getting thrashed of late just not closing out. Think Raiders game also. Teams are getting 50 put on them. BTW we almost pulled off a last 15 sec miracle against the rabbits.

It looked as though we were gassed against Souths at the end and just didn't close out.
I think we have a few really struggling with injury but getting on the park.

I note some on the forum blame a 'power game' approach. Every team plays a power game and has big forwards trying to lay the platform.

Widdop played well on the weekend. Sublime pass for Nightie try, diffused bombs, tackled well, looked dangerous and kicked conversions from sideline. Duffed one clearing kick nesr the end. He is a class player.

Dufty is looking good in both games. Nice move for the last Dragons try and Mann missed seeing him back up inside. Boy did u see that back up acceleration made up 2 metres in 10. Took bombs well.

We are not done for 8 yet. Half the teams are behind us.

Blake Lawrie looks a tough no nonsense type to me.wouldnt write him off.
Good on ya mate for being so positive.
I wish I could be as well but I'm afraid the negatives outweigh the positives. They have finally worn me down these last 4 years. I have supported them since late 60's & will always support them.However I won't be getting caught up in the hype again until I see a more consistent team & club changes.