What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wit and Wisdom of Jason Taylor

Hopefully we will beat the Knights this weekend so we wont have to bang on about JT for another week,and if we dont we are really going to be in a world of hurt about our seasons prospects.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Hopefully we will beat the Knights this weekend so we wont have to bang on about JT for another week,and if we dont we are really going to be in a world of hurt about our seasons prospects.

Looks like Taylor has opted for another plodder in Milone this week.

I don't like our chances.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Put Rankin into centre and promote Addo-Carr and give him a run. Or give Chance Peni a run at centre.

Didn't know where to post this but thought this thread was as good as any.

WHEN the Tigers were winning in swashbuckling style, Jason Taylor’s decision to shelve his ego and give his talented young playmakers more rope was widely applauded.

“Credit to JT, he’s sort of swallowed his pride a bit and is letting the guys play a bit of footy,” Kevin Naiqama said after his side’s 36-22 trouncing of Manly a month ago.

Clearly Taylor’s off-season decision to put his previous coaching philosophy second and give his talented young playmakers more rope was a hit in the Wests Tigers sheds.

At times the attack is still easy on the eye, but gaping cracks have since appeared in the Tigers’ fresh game plan that looked to be reinventing them in the opening weeks of the season.

It only goes to highlight the concerns Taylor had with letting loose the reins to begin with.

But now that he’s given his young guns a licence, can he take it away again without completely losing the confidence of the dressing room?

After two enterprising wins to start the season, the Tigers have since slumped to four losses on the trot.

There was plenty to like in a competitive loss to Cronulla, but for the most part they’ve floundered in losses to the Titans, Eels and now an ugly defeat to lowly Newcastle.

Against Newcastle an unlikely win looked a possibility. But the impossible play was gambled on by Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks and lost repeatedly.

Passes missed their mark. Kicks for the sideline sailed over them.

With three minutes to go and a number of last tackle options at his disposal, Moses punted for the lowest percentage — a cross field kick for an out of position winger. It ended the way you’d expect.

Tigers fans have seen this caper plenty of times. But word is teammates and coaches have seen it all too often themselves when game scenarios are run at Concord.

Taylor said as much during his post match press conference.

“We are trying to play a style of footy that can’t be sustained in the NRL,” he told the press.

“I just want us to be tougher. We need to be tougher. That’s the simplest way of putting it.

“We need to train tougher, we need to be harder on each other at training and we need to be tougher on the field.”

Ex-Tigers under 20s coach Brett Kimmorley hit the nail on the head in analysing the Tigers’ most recent loss, which featured 13 errors from Taylor’s side.

The free reign the Tigers youngsters have been enjoying saw the actual reins slip from their grasp.

It’s been par for the course in 2016, with their 12.3 errors per game behind only the Eels (12.8) and the Dragons (13).

“They were pretty disappointing,” Kimmorley told Fox Sports News.

“After two weeks, how exciting were they to watch?

“How good is this, they’re playing the footy, they’re throwing it around, they’re a great brand of football, all the dramas seem (to) be in the past (but) there was no care for the football.

“It was a bit about last year’s football. On their day we always say the Tigers are great.

“Well over the last four weeks on their moments they’re good in the game but there’s some horrible moments that come in and out of the game. That needs to be addressed very quickly.”

Compounding their ill-discipline with the ball is similar infringements without it.

At 8.7 penalties a game, the Tigers rank among the NRL’s worst offenders, equal with Manly and the Warriors and behind only Newcastle.

And in the past fortnight t a 7-12 count against them as they went down to the Sharks, followed by a 4-8 count against the Knights, left them playing well and truly off the back foot.

So with the extra defence those penalties bring, and the field position they take away, every time the freewheeling style goes astray, pressure mounts.

How Taylor turns his side around, and how it affects a dressing shed all too familiar with drama, will make for compelling viewing.

The current format needs a tinker. And Taylor’s comments at the weekend suggest that’s about to happen. Moses and Brooks could well be put back in their box.

A creative type’s confidence is a delicate thing. Especially a young ones.

And pride is a funny thing in league. Not enough of it in your jumper and you may as well not put it on.

Too much of it managed the wrong way, and it’ll tear the fabric of a club apart, as the Tigers know all too well from last year’s Farah fiasco.

When Taylor gave his young tyros greater creative control they responded publicly, welcoming the extra responsibility and the vote of confidence.

It was no small thing. Former Bears teammates of Taylor describe him as more controlling than your average hands-on halfback.

He led breakout planning sessions outside of regular playing duties. At all times he wanted to know exactly where his side was going no matter where they were on the park.

Taylor was one of the game’s greatest ever goal kickers because of a meticulous approach.

He churned through 194 first grade appearances on the trot in the same way.

To put the ego in the back pocket, and give licence to two players occupying the opposite end of the play making spectrum was in equal parts a bold and humble move.

To take it back will require similar fortitude. Not just from Taylor, but his young side as well.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...m/news-story/19870cfc4b304a4eda628dd7ce026c26

simmo05

Bench
I for one, have had a c##t full. Its his job to make them tougher, or bring in players who are!! Maybe sign everyone to 1 year deals, players these days seem to play out of their skin when they're about to negotiate. Bring in some proper tough old 1st graders to teach them how to be hard. Maybe try sign a few nutcases? If we cant win at least make it so other teams hate playing us.

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks appears to be doing his best to pull his contract dollars down a lot. I don't think it has anything to do with not playing footy. I think it has to do with all around poor execution.

I don't see why Moses is copping it as if he is to blame for Brooks mistakes though.

WHETHER the Wests Tigers have it in them to see what coach Jason Taylor really meant is now the thing.

Their future might depend on it, though.

There are mixed messages coming out of Camp Tiger right now.

After their bright start to the season Taylor and his Tigers were applauded for their approach.

Assistant coach Craig Sandercock arrived in town, so the narrative went, and one of his first decisions as the incoming attacking coach was to ask his chief playmakers how they wanted to play their football.

Beautiful.

Everybody knew the potential of James Tedesco, Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses, guided by the experienced hand of Robbie Farah, and given the chance to do things their way bright days were tipped.

Many lauded Taylor for his ego strength. Not every coach has the ability to put his ego in his back pocket and let the playmakers shape their attack.

That all said, the Tigers went on and beat the Warriors 34-26 in round one and Manly 36-22 the following week.

Plenty of points. Plenty of plaudits.

Taylor has now squashed that after Sunday’s loss to Newcastle.

“That’s all been reported fairly inaccurately,” he said.

Suddenly, he sounded like the Grinch.

Taylor sat at the Tigers’ press conference and seemed to be in no mood for cheap excuses after yet another awful afternoon.

The Tigers had just lost their fourth straight after their early good start and all that easy applause was long gone.

It was not reported inaccurately, though.

Well before the season, on February 18, Taylor told The Australian: “I make no excuses for the fact that we started really structured last year but the plan was to always loosen that once the boys understood what

their roles were and once we got to know them as players.

“There’s a lot of talent there and it’s important to get it to a point where everybody feels that they can play a part.”

At the same time Farah said of Sandercock: “He’s introduced a lot of stuff back into our structure that we enjoy and we think works best for us individually.”

James Tedesco said similar on Fox Sports. Mitchell Moses has also been quoted pushing the same message.

So what is Taylor’s problem?

The same as it is for every coach.

Losses. read more here http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wes...e8615d020b3e7b

macnaz

Staff member
Ivan Cleary.

The players would chew him up and spit him out like all the others. I really think there is more to it than just Taylor . The culture is power to the players , and when JT was given full power unlike Potter , we get Oneill come in and undermine his directives. What chance has any coach got with a system like that ?
Unitl a Bellamy , Bennet or Toovey type of no nonense character takes charge i cant see anything ever changing.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Unitl a Bellamy , Bennet or Toovey type of no nonense character takes charge i cant see anything ever changing.

Hasler would be my dream.

I agree though I think the only way this team will change is if someone comes in who already has respect. Our team is full of pri madonnas who are used to doing whatever they want. Guys like Potter and Taylor might be the best coaches in the world but they bring zero reputation with them and to me when they try to come down hard the players say ?who do you think you are, we run this club!? and they end up getting their way. No decent player would come to the Tigers at the moment. From my memory we haven?t signed someone who was consistently playing first grade since Adam Blair in 2012. That?s four years without signing a first grader!! A known coach will stop that.

Harry needs to stop talking to the papers saying he is going to help out and actually do it. Put your money where your mouth is and buy a known coach. No more rookies who will be chewed up and spat out.

we get Oneill come in and undermine his directives. What chance has any coach got with a system like that ?
great point, can you imagine the team selection meeting this afternoon.

JT wanting Buchanan at prop and captain and O'Neill getting wind of it and starts to get involved in team selections.

macnaz

Staff member
Doubt it though , but my point was about having a coach trying to enforce policies and be undermined by Mark Oneill because the players didnt like it . Also Oneill was part of the boys club culture , so why appoint someone like him if the club is trying dismantle that culture ? I suppose i could say it doesnt make sense , but when does anything at WT's ever make sense.

The Rosco

Bench
So when I heard on the radio today that Woodsy is out for multiple weeks, I nearly speared off the railway bridge at Lewisham.
All I could see were the names Buchanan and Milone. Then it all went black.

Tigerm

First Grade
I have been against Taylor from the start, he just seemed a bad fit? but imo we just need someone to start picking on form now because as always, we never drop anyone, only replace when injured. We have nothing more to lose, our season is nearly all but over.

To me, the likes of Sironen, Brooks, Naiqama, Halatau, Rankin (though we do need a goal kicker) just don't seem to be cutting it & I cant understand why Taylor is so hesitant to change, his career is on the line.

Latest posts