What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theme Songs

Dougie

Juniors
meltiger said:
Dougie said:
i used to know of this one site that had great AFL Club theme song parodies....if only i could find it now! :lol: :lol:

LOL

Anyone of the Melbourne clubs supporter groups could come up with a dozen different variations on every clubs song,

When Carlton cop it it's normally the best :)

i remember one part of an infamous club parody song very clearly....it goes something like this.....*clears voice*

"We'll finish top, top, top....
then we'll flop, flop, flop....
Its the True Port Adelaide Tradition..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Amazing though, it's only because of one line that people think it's so great :)

"Unlike the Tigers of old, they're hot and they're cold..."

ChiaPete

Juniors
Wild Man From Borneo said:
It's a shame that the NRL club songs arn't played after each game. Although I'm not proud of my club's song (bulldogs)...its fair dinkum disco music and it really doesn't suit football.

The Old Bulldogs Theme Song I like :D The new disco peice is sad.

My favourite AFL is by far the Lions, you can't help but join in a verse when at the Gabba :) Besides I don't know any others.

Pete
GO BULLDOGS

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
meltiger said:
Amazing though, it's only because of one line that people think it's so great :)

"Unlike the Tigers of old, they're hot and they're cold..."

lol :) Won't be forever mate!

Especially if they make the had decision and trade either Richo or Bowden.... One of the 'untradeables' going may be enough to shake the rest of the club up and show the players they will now be held accountable. Either one of them going will come back to hurt us somewhere along the line butit has to be done.

We'll see at the end of next month whether they have the guts to do it...

riccardo

Juniors
Carlton (Lilly of Laguna) - Turn of the (19th) century tune
Collingwood (Goodbye Dolly Gray) - Boer War song
Essendon (?)
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions (La Marselliese) French National Anthem
Geelong (?)
Hawthorn (Yankee Doodle Dandy) - US traditional
Melbourne (Grand Old Flag) - Pretty sure its a US Civil War anthem
North Melbourne/Kangaroos (?)
Richmond (?)
South Melbourne/Sydney (Notre Dame Fight Song) - US Collegiate anthem
St Kilda (When the Saints go Marching in) - Traditional Hymn
Western Bulldogs/Footscray (?)

The anthems have been part of Aussie Rules culture since the VFA days in the late 19th Century. Most, as described above are corruptions of popular songs at the time, and they do change (eg - St Kilda used a version of "By The Seaside" in the early days)
Alot of the expansion clubs anthems are just not the same, at least not for me.

riccardo said:
Why do they (promoters, or whoever's job it is) have this attitude that they "have to cater for young people", by using rock/pop music for club songs (Freo & WC). It defeats the purpose. Club songs are meant to be tradtional. It doesn't matter how lame they might sound, they still have meaning, and younger supporters relise this and still sing it and are proud to do so. The use Rock/Pop sounding club songs particulary applies to the NRL clubs. I like rock music in general. I have herd the "old club songs" from the roosters and 'dogs and they're much better than the current "Rooster Man" :x or that disco/dance song :x :x from the 'dogs. How do you sing these as a chant at the game..oh that's right, the B**t**ds don't even bother to play them at the game!!

PB

Bench
Wild Man From Borneo said:
riccardo said:
Why do they (promoters, or whoever's job it is) have this attitude that they "have to cater for young people", by using rock/pop music for club songs (Freo & WC). It defeats the purpose. Club songs are meant to be tradtional. It doesn't matter how lame they might sound, they still have meaning, and younger supporters relise this and still sing it and are proud to do so.

Spot on mate. The songs are all about instilling passion and tradition. Its what makes the afl supporters more tribal and more passionate about their game than the majority of RL supporters. Its the same in England where it is just the norm to sing away.

I am a Sydney supporter and sing my club song loud and proud, but i would say the other i enjoy watching is the Richmond tune, and watching the kids chime in with the "yyyellow and Black".

Parramatta has a reasonable tune which they brought back a couple of years ago (to the tune of Click goes the sheers). Even used to put the words up on the scoreboard after the game to help people sing the song, but much to the frustration of the more passionate eel fan, not enough people join in.

dimitri said:
national anthems are so much better than club theme songs

give me an anthem anyday

not some stupid theme song that the players scream when they are on the piss

So "When the Saints go marching In" has to go. I bet you wouldn't go to OKI Doki Stadium and tell everyone it's overrated and it has to go.

Melstar

Juniors
The only one I know is the Brissie one, so I cant really comment on which is better.
I actually love watching the dressing room wrap where the players sing their club songs.

Latest posts