What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's 70 Aboriginal players in the AFL

Canard

Immortal
This is a serious post, so I'm not have a go at Goodes.

But was he investigated for an allegation of sexual assault early in his career with Sydney, somehow I remember there was a player investigated of such an incident in Vic before he joined the Swans but I can't remember who the player was. Not that there were any charges laid in the end.

They all look the same

POPEYE

Coach
I'm not up with AFL, are Indigenous the more naturally gifted players in the sport like they are in League, do their numbers per capita far outweigh any other representation as well . . . maybe AFL can do without the Indigenous, League would certainly be f**ked without them

DiegoNT

First Grade
They're have been many indigenous players in the afl, but the few that have made a stand against racism like goodes, long and winmar get booed the loudest.

The whole 'there's 70 other indigenous players in the comp, how come they don't get booed' argument is flawed. Goodes doesn't get booed because he's aboriginal, he's booed because his stand against racism. That's what makes this a racial issue.

Imagine if a guy threw eggs at the mardi gras and tried to use the excuse 'I'm not a homophobe, I only threw eggs at the guys (and girls) because they are flogs and I don't like the way they put their rainbow imagery in my face. There's hundreds of thousands of gay people in Australia but I only threw eggs at the flogs in the parade so it can't possibly be about homophobia. I got my son to shout out FAIRIES!!. because they actually resemble fairies not because it's been a long term phrase to abuse gay people'

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
Is there at leaat a small chance this figure of 70 is more AFL BS? They do this a lot you know!

DiegoNT

First Grade
Is there at leaat a small chance this figure of 70 is more AFL BS? They do this a lot you know!

There's apparently 71 indigenous players on afl teams list.
Each team has 44 players on their list. There are 18 teams.
44 × 18 = 792 listed afl players
Throw in 1 pacific islander ( Nic Natnui), 1 African ( Majak Daw). And a handful of players from other ethnicities.
Throw in the consideration that most of the indigenous players were scouted by the 'one white parent' policy and you gotta admit afl is an incredibly white sport.
No wonder an outspoken indigenous man gets so much trouble.

LESStar58

Referee
This is a serious post, so I'm not have a go at Goodes.

But was he investigated for an allegation of sexual assault early in his career with Sydney, somehow I remember there was a player investigated of such an incident in Vic before he joined the Swans but I can't remember who the player was. Not that there were any charges laid in the end.

Michael o'loughlin who was at Sydney at the time.

there's a transcript to a 4 corners story called "fair game" somewhere over in the fight club. Deals with both league and AFL but of course every one forgets about the latter.

magpie4ever

First Grade
They all look the same

Geez Canny, you must be on the longest period of all time.

What I was getting at that, is when you see Goodes on the news (not as an AFL player) I see a large amount of internal sadness. I was wondering if that allegation had had an effect on him (but apparently it was not him).

The man is a very very sad person, like the world is on his shoulders. I wonder why?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I suggest all Goodes related threads be moved to the AFL forum.

Getting very sick of hearing about Ozzie rules and it's problems on a Rugby League forum.