What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They cannot persevere with Wade.

Timbo

Staff member
His keeping has gone f**king backwards and I didn't realise that was possible.

The argument that Nevill is not a good enough batsman doesn't hold water - Wade averages 25 with the f**king bat after 60 ODIs.

f**k right off back to Victoria you momentum murderer.

typicalfan

Coach
Wade has dropped his batting and keeping. I remember him being a fairly decent limited overs batsman opening up and was aggressive. Now he is trash.

Nevill could work seeing the aggressive guy around him.

chigurh

Besides all the dropped catches, he fumbles so many return throws. Just doesn't have good hands fullstop.

undertaker

Coach
Very interesting to read this article 3 years later. Looks like some things never change

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...n-ian-healy-says/story-fn2mcu3x-1226552468704

Australia Test wicketkeeper Matthew Wade's mistakes costing team, former gloveman Ian Healy says

The former Test vice-captain lashed the Victorian gloveman's basics as unacceptable, overriding his 42.5 average and two centuries in his first nine matches since taking over from Brad Haddin in the Caribbean in April.

Healy told radio RSN's Breakfast program that Wade's several missed stumping opportunities and tough dropped catches when standing up to the stumps added pressure to others trying to make their way in international cricket.

"Even some of the basic stuff that he's not tidying up - he's not getting to the stumps, he's not taking returns well (and) he's not sharpening up the fielding effort," Healy said.

"So even those basic disciplines weren't being created, let alone missed dismissals. I'm pretty sure Nathan Lyon wouldn't have been that happy - there were four or five chances missed from his bowling and he's getting criticised for not taking wickets. So these are all the little internal conflicts of an under-achieving wicketkeeper."

Healy said Australia selectors should consider taking Haddin as a second keeper on the Ashes tour.

"They haven't (taken a back-up) for a while, but they might do that again," he said. "I think Matthew could do with a practice partner and he could do with someone breathing down his neck to make sure he gets all those things done."

Healy said the unrivalled batting of his successor Adam Gilchrist had changed expectations of the national keeper to being an elite batsman.

But he said Gilchrist had a luxury Wade wasn't afforded - total "relevance to his team".

"He was appropriate for the team they had (at the time)," Healy said. "He had a team with a great bowling attack that created more chances than you needed.
"Now we haven't got an attack like that, we've got an attack that if you need 20 wickets in a Test, they might create 18 and you'd better take a half-chance here or there, or a great run-out, and you might get over the line.

"That's where you don't need a wicketkeeper missing stuff.

"And right now, the Australian cricket team in its Test form, needs the best wicketkeeper and we've got to find out who that is - someone who's not making mistakes."

Healy said he was unsure why Haddin, who was keeper in Friday's one-day international, had not been reinstated to the Test role.

He also downplayed Tasmanian Tim Paine's chances as an alternative with Healy preferring Chris Hartley as the country's top wicketkeeper.

undertaker

Coach
Btw, interestingly, Wade is 170cm, Nevill is 182cm.

No wonder why Wade is so short to reach for balls that go just over his hands!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He's easily the worst aussie keeper i have seen since Wayne Phillips, he was always a part timer but at least he could bat. f**k him off.

Timbo

Staff member
They'd be better off picking Dunk or Bancroft. They may not be great keepers, but at least they'd be better with the bat if that's what they're looking for.

El Diablo

Post Whore
CZKJGk3WkAEGu-m.jpg

lockyno1

Post Whore
Wade shouldn't be there, but the answer isn't Nevill who has a relatively poor 50 over record.

Paine- possibly, but has the time passed? Can he do what he does opening down the order?
Dunk- dreadful form
Whiteman- injured at the moment but he would be my pick.
Hartley- NO.
Ludeman- Just no thanks.

The options are fairly thin. Nevill is average in 50 over cricket. Do you give the gloves to a Bancroft for instance and hope he can keep better than Wade in the meantime?

Rabbits20

Immortal
His keeping has gone f**king backwards and I didn't realise that was possible.

The argument that Nevill is not a good enough batsman doesn't hold water - Wade averages 25 with the f**king bat after 60 ODIs.

f**k right off back to Victoria you momentum murderer.

24.57 avg actually.

Only 7 fifties from 50 innings.

5 ducks he's made too.

Yes his wicket keeping is deteriorating further.

Nevill should be in the ODI team instead.

His wicket keeping would be a lot better and he'd probably average about 23 with the bat.

lockyno1

Post Whore
To be fair he is batting at 7 or 8. You wouldn't expect a keeper batting at 8 to average 50. The issue is his glovework, it is getting worse if that was possible.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
How is ben dunk in bad form. He averaged 60 in the matador cup and is the leading run scorer in the sheffield shield. His problem is that he is a batsman who can keep a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No doubt Marsh will have his eye on Wade. I'm not really sure that a high strike is so important when Wade hardly ever bats in ODIs, surely a decent gloveman is more important. When you have such a crappy gloveman as Wade you dont need to chase so many runs sometimes.

If Neville is not the right man then fair enough but there are plenty more to pick from and I think Dunk should be worth a go.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
To be fair he is batting at 7 or 8. You wouldn't expect a keeper batting at 8 to average 50. The issue is his glovework, it is getting worse if that was possible.
Wade has batted up the order quite a bit in his career. He's just junk and did absolutely nothing at all to get back in the side. His form was was then when he was dropped. With the side stacked with all rounders and power hitters throughout the 11 we just need the best keeper. Which Nevill is, he can bat we have all seen it. It's not like we have a Gilly floating around who just gets picked no matter how he keeps.

I'll take a keeper who's a 99% chance of taking the catch with an average of 20 over a gumby who spills everything and averages 35-40.

Keepers win you games with the gloves, not the bat. Gilly was an aberration, a glitch in the matrix, we'll be lucky to see a batting keeper like him again (as far as Australia is concerned.)