What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things you want to see on a dedicated nrl channel.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
something for the juniors to learn from, 30 minutes episodes dedicated to strength/conditioning/injury maintenance etc

nrlnrl

First Grade
National FG, RG and NYC all matches

Then match of round for all state cup competition's

Schoolboys cup

Match of the round U18 and U16 matches

All RL internationals. All U20 or U18 internationals

All ESL matches. Match of the round ESL second tier

Match if the round from NZ, France and USA

Magazine shows focused on ESL one on state Cups. One on Europe non UK, Americas, Asia-Pacific

We have RL games all the way back into 60s

So classic matches from this week 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 years ago and last year. After 10 years repeat.

And a classic match titled last time they met

Each club should have a 30 min magazine show talking about last match, interviews, news and next weeks team

Daily NRL news show. World overnight news

Plus 2 replays of the weekends NRL games

Great effort to put so much thought int this topic. For what it's worth:

You would never have the facilities to cover all 3 grades in broadcast quality. They have single camera coverage of NSW Cup & NYC games not shown on tv available on the net. (I guess they have the same for QLD Cup ?
They already show previous games involving teams playing in the upcoming round.

I don't know how many games have been kept from the 60's & 70's plus there's limited coverage - even the 80's & 90's up to 1997 only had a few games per week covered. The rest were just single camera coverage that would've only kept a minute or so for news bulletins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only have full coverage of about 3 or sometimes 4 Super League games per week - the others are just single camera coverage . They show tries on the highlights show with a voice over them for the single camera games.

They've been showing Schooboys Cup game for about the past month & show finals for SG Ball & Harold Matthews.

I don't know what coverage there is of all internationals - especially in developing rugby league countries.

It'll be interesting to see how much content the clubs will provide as they'll want traffic on their own social media. It would be interesting for dedicated league fans to see all the other clubs as well though.

siv

First Grade
One camera for non NRL covered games is enough. Cheap camera technology is now very good as shown by live web streams

For NRL aligned matches you already cameras

In regards to internationals you will find almost all Tier 2/3 internationals are being live web streamed or available on youtube

undertaker

Coach
One camera for non NRL covered games is enough. Cheap camera technology is now very good as shown by live web streams

Well, if one camera was good enough for first-grade games pre-1999 that weren't broadcast on tv (the camera being high in the western grandstand on the 50m line to capture the best angle and detail), it is more than good enough these days for other lower-grade games with the higher screen quality/pixelation that has developed since 1999.

Reactions: siv

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
- FA Cup style knock out of all clubs under NRL level who want to put a team in.

Nothing on a Wednesday night and if some people watch the Sokka FAA Cup, then I'm fairly certain people will watch Dandenong West battle it out with Cabramatta. Or Perth play Albury-Wodonga.

Do it in state / regional pools early on to cut travel costs.

Sell it to Fox and regional FTA affiliates.

$1million first prize and a sweet cup.

Federated Australian Rugby-League Clubs (FARC) Cup [just jokes...but I like it].

Sounds like an amco cup...

Perth Red

Post Whore
After this year on fox i think the channel will be a bit of a dud. Basically fox has its ten or so ex players and journos and just rotates through them for every show. It's like Groundhog Day turning on a RL show on fox this year.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Live high school footy, similar to what Sky TV does with 1st XV rugby games in NZ for the rugby channel.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
a doco series about sides/clubs that are no longer with us. Be cool watching the history, highlights from the first game, highlights of best/worst loss etc for the mariners, reds, rams, crushers etc.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
a doco series about sides/clubs that are no longer with us. Be cool watching the history, highlights from the first game, highlights of best/worst loss etc for the mariners, reds, rams, crushers etc.

Just have an hour long loop of the broncos killing them off out of fear of competition.

bnie7349

Juniors
I went to the Matty Johns show last Monday. When the show finished, Matty told the audience that he will have a new show next year on either Thursday or Sunday night.

Brutus

Referee
Two QLD Cup games need to be shown. One live on Fox and the replay game from channel 9 actually shown on the night it is played not the following Wednesday.

undertaker

Coach
I don't know how many games have been kept from the 60's & 70's plus there's limited coverage - even the 80's & 90's up to 1997 only had a few games per week covered. The rest were just single camera coverage that would've only kept a minute or so for news bulletins.

Excluding the major matches such as finals games and GFs, not much RL footage would be in the archive vaults of Ch7/ABC pre-1980. Like many renown tv shows from that time such as The Tonight Show during the Johnny Carson era, most of the tapes of episodes during the 1950s-70s no longer exist, as they were wiped, which was standard practise in the tv industry at that time.

However, there were many great games from the '90s (when I grew up watching footy) that won't see the light of day if Fox decides to replay old matches. It will simply be the ones that they've already shown on Chooseday Night Football or matches that the media regularly mentions.

I know that NBN (Ch9 affiliate in the Hunter) have Newcastle Knights games they broadcasted during 1992-99 in their archives, as that was where footage used in Andrew Johns DVD of his 23pt haul debut at halfback vs Souths 1994 came from. Likewise, WIN tv would have Nth QLD Cowboys matches in their archive etc.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
unfortunately for fox... a 24 hr channel costs a lot of moolah...

They need to get more talent, and you dont have to have played 300 games to be good on tv..

and some good documentaries about players backgrounds, they are some awesome stories out there, segeyaro for example..

Good luck fox..

nrlnrl

First Grade
Excluding the major matches such as finals games and GFs, not much RL footage would be in the archive vaults of Ch7/ABC pre-1980. Like many renown tv shows from that time such as The Tonight Show during the Johnny Carson era, most of the tapes of episodes during the 1950s-70s no longer exist, as they were wiped, which was standard practise in the tv industry at that time.

However, there were many great games from the '90s (when I grew up watching footy) that won't see the light of day if Fox decides to replay old matches. It will simply be the ones that they've already shown on Chooseday Night Football or matches that the media regularly mentions.

I know that NBN (Ch9 affiliate in the Hunter) have Newcastle Knights games they broadcasted during 1992-99 in their archives, as that was where footage used in Andrew Johns DVD of his 23pt haul debut at halfback vs Souths 1994 came from. Likewise, WIN tv would have Nth QLD Cowboys matches in their archive etc.
Did WIN TV cover the early Cowboys home games? I didn't know they had facilities for that. As for those Knights games, it would've just been home games. I know one of the Brisbane channels covered all the Broncos home games for a few years.

I know Fox show quite a few old games between teams that are playing in an upcoming round. ( normally between 9am & 5pm on Fridays). I think this will happen more with the dedicated channel. The panel shows will get priority when more people are watching at night, but things like Chooseday Night Football, other themes or new shows will pop up.

I think this past month has been a bit of experimentation to see what sort of shows work. The channel will be like a 24 hour pub that you know is open. The weekends will be the most popular (with the live games & Matty Johns shows), but I think the other nights will have their things to attract casuals as well as the regulars.