What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things you want to see on a dedicated nrl channel.

jim_57

Staff member
  • Dedicated shows to discuss/review/preview the International season.
  • All clubs could do their own half hour segment each week/fortnight on the happening in and around the club.
  • QLD Cup & NSW Cup games
  • Any Internationals available to buy the feed Worldwide.
  • Filler with classic matches, Origins & Test matches.
  • PMXIII Game

roofromoz

First Grade
How about some RL over Spring/Summer

There may be the return of those club membership days, where each day is dedicated to a particular team and classic matches are shown. Last summer, it was 8-10 matches per team, back to back - iirc it was sometime in December.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I was going to start a separate thread on this topic, but thought I would answer it here based on what I remember at the time and from what I have seen/researched online in the years since then. If anyone lived in any of the other teams' home regions at the time could fill us in with more details, please respond:

Yes, in their first two seasons (1995/96), but only home games. There was the rare away game that WIN covered, most notably vs Illawarra at Wollongong, the Cowboys first ever win as a club in Rd 8 '95:

If you recognise, the caller is Jason Costigan, who also called Warriors home matches for Sky NZ during 2001-10. I'm assuming this game was covered because WIN tv is based in Wollongong, which is where the match was played.

As someone who lived in the Hunter region at the time I started following the Knights in the mid-90s, I know home games were covered by NBN (called by Mike Rabbitt) from at least the beginning of 1992 after NBN was taken over by Ch9 and incorporated Ch9 programs. Broadcasts of Knights away games not covered by Ch9 started in 1994 (most notably Andrew Johns first game at halfback vs Souths at SFS, where he scored 23pts). When Fox/Optus started covering matches from the SL-war onwards, NBN telecasts started decreasing and instead of providing their own commentary/tv cameras as in the past, NBN simply simulcasted the Fox/Optus telecast. However, there was a dispute in 1999 after the Homebush double header in the opening round which saw that agreement with Fox/Optus cancelled and NBN went back to doing their own telecasts with their own tv cameras and commentary, but abandoned it at the end of the year as by that stage it was deemed too expensive. From 2000 until beginning of 2003, NBN went back to simulcasting the Fox/Optus coverage of Knights games not shown on Ch9. Rd 4 2003 vs Storm was the last game before the NBN arrangement with PayTV was terminated IIRC, as I can only assume that by that stage, Fox subscription base had grown quite substantially and they wanted too much money from NBN to continue using their coverage of Knights games.

Yes, Broncos fans in Brisbane have been the luckiest of all the non-Sydney teams to receive tv coverage for matches not covered by Ch9/10 Sydney. All home matches and most of their away games that Ch9/10 Sydney didn't broadcast were covered by Ch9/10 Brisbane. This occurred right up to as recently as the end of 2006. It ended with the new tv rights deal at the beginning of 2007.

To summarise everything I just typed, in addition to the usual classic matches that Fox Sports have replayed that were either broadcasted in the past by Ch9/Ch10/ABC/Fox/Optus, I'm 99.9% sure that

- NBN has archives of Knights games they broadcasted and produced during 1992-99
- WIN has archives of Cowboys home games during 1995-96
- Ch9 Perth has archives of Western Reds games during 1995-96 (called by David Morrow. All Reds away games were also covered in '95)
- Ch9 Adelaide has archives of Adelaide Rams home games from 1998 (I would love to see the Tony Iro running the ball back over the goal-line incident again, which isn't in this clip:
- Sky NZ has archives of Warriors home games since 1995

Now to other coverage of non-Sydney teams:

- I'm pretty sure Gold Coast Chargers matches were also covered by NBN. I do distinctly remember one Sunday arvo watching Canterbury vs Gold Coast at Belmore in '96 with Mike Rabbitt from NBN calling it (this was after Ch9 canned Sunday football in favour of Monday night games in the 2nd half of that year). Otherwise, I have no idea why this game was shown on NBN in the Hunter region.
- I've seen several South Queensland Crushers home games during 1995-97 that were called by Andrew Voss, albeit 1hr highlights. I can only assume this was only broadcasted into Brisbane.
- Not sure about Canberra Raiders or Illawarra Steelers matches, although I have found several of their clips with the late-Rex Mossop calling:

I recall being on the Central Coast in 2002 at someones house and we watched NBN, the match between Newcastle and Warriors, but they picked up the Foxtel Feed. Obviously this would've only been shown on the Hunter/Central Coast.

I don't know if you remember this, but in Newcastle did they show Crushers/Knights in 1995?

The game was in Brisbane and I'm pretty sure it was on Ch 9 in Brisbane as well. I have seen footage of news on Ch 9 where Andrew Voss is commentating and the same footage on Big League video, although for some reason Vossy's commentary is being overdubbed.

There were a few Crushers home matches on Ch 9, however their first ever win against the Bears wasn't.

Im not sure whether this was because Ch 9 Brisbane only called one game, so that means that the Broncos would've been playing that day as well.

But did this happen every week for Ch 9 Brisbane that year, either covering a Broncos/Crushers match.

Because whenever either Fox or Ch 9 bring up Lockyer's debut, which was the dreaded 60-14 win over the Eels, its only ground footage.