What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Party Payments ~ a crock or what!?

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Notice the NRL have indicated they will regulate TPPs.....for all the reasons we outlined here ad nauseam!

Masters of Reaction
But better now than never I guess....

.... and arent those 4-5 clubs who "managed" the system over recent years and reaped the rewards having a chuckle ....

Life's Good

Coach
If the NRL takes control of TPA agreements it won't be long before some clubs will invent a way around that.
Sad but true. BUT also an indicator that better run clubs(just like businesses)focus on doing what it takes to prosper.
Our mob has racked up a $6m debt that they seemingly have no way of paying off.

SBD82

Coach
This thread has turned into another example of what's gone wrong with our club. Excuse making is rife in management, from our coaches, and now apparently, from our fans.

Instead of whinging about how it's not fair, we should be on the front foot, taking every advantage we can get, and leave the other clubs in our wake. If TPAs are unregulated, we should be utilising them to their full extent.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
This thread has turned into another example of what's gone wrong with our club. Excuse making is rife in management, from our coaches, and now apparently, from our fans.

Instead of whinging about how it's not fair, we should be on the front foot, taking every advantage we can get, and leave the other clubs in our wake. If TPAs are unregulated, we should be utilising them to their full extent.

I think that was a theme expressed ~

The stark reality is the door opening connections of some clubs board members are often built up and fostered over a lifetime or the unique interest of a hollywood star only comes along once in a while.....

Neither are replicated easily.

That said we cudda and shuda have done better with regard to TPPs~~

SBD82

Coach
I think that was a theme expressed ~

The stark reality is the door opening connections of some clubs board members are often built up and fostered over a lifetime or the unique interest of a hollywood star only comes along once in a while.....

Neither are replicated easily.

That said we cudda and shuda have done better with regard to TPPs~~
I don't even want to hear cudda and shuda.

I want to hear can and will.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
I don't even want to hear cudda and shuda.

I want to hear can and will.

This underlines the fundamental reason TPPs need regulating, that being in their current format they will never lead to a level playing field.

Irrespective of what we want and expect the reality is it can only be delivered to a high level by a few, no matter how hard the rest try....

SBD82

Coach
This underlines the fundamental reason TPPs need regulating, that being in their current format they will never lead to a level playing field.

Irrespective of what we want and expect the reality is it can only be delivered to a high level by a few, no matter how hard the rest try....
You misunderstand me.

I don't want a level playing field.

I want other clubs supporters complaining that it's not fair how well our club is run, while we enjoy massive success.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
You misunderstand me.

I don't want a level playing field.

I want other clubs supporters complaining that it's not fair how well our club is run, while we enjoy massive success.

I am not talking about performance!

I am simply advocating a cap on TPPs and a requirement they are registered with the NRL for transparency and appropriateness.

How you spend your TPP and the value you extract is then the performance element and agreed, that is where the Dragons need to be top of the tree and the envy of other clubs.

SBD82

Coach
I am not talking about performance!

I am simply advocating a cap on TPPs and a requirement they are registered with the NRL for transparency and appropriateness.

How you spend your TPP and the value you extract is then the performance element and agreed, that is where the Dragons need to be top of the tree and the envy of other clubs.
You still don't seem to understand.

I don't want to go crying to the NRL that the other clubs have an unfair advantage.

I don't want to whinge about level playing fields.

I don't want the rules changed. I want our club to be ruthless in the pursuit of success.

f**k transparency. f**k appropriateness. I want our club to be the subject of envy again.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
You still don't seem to understand.

I don't want to go crying to the NRL that the other clubs have an unfair advantage.

I don't want to whinge about level playing fields.

I don't want the rules changed. I want our club to be ruthless in the pursuit of success.

f**k transparency. f**k appropriateness. I want our club to be the subject of envy again.

Oh, I think I do.......you want anarchy.

Good luck with that ~~

SBD82

Coach
Oh, I think I do.......you want anarchy.

Good luck with that ~~
No. There are existing rules.

I don't want to take the attitude that we need the rules changed to be successful. This is the attitude of losers.

Winners take responsibility for their own success.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
If it's such a relaxed rule, why don't we take advantage of it?

Good point and I wish we had, but the harsh reality is that the heavy hitters with the connections to lock down the big money deals from the big end of town that I assume are behind the major player TPPs are not sitting on every club board or exec office, certainly not ours in recent years.

And we don't have a Hollywood star ...

Doust didn't perform but I would think he is up against it knocking on those doors!

SBD82

Coach
Good point and I wish we had, but the harsh reality is that the heavy hitters with the connections to lock down the big money deals from the big end of town that I assume are behind the major player TPPs are not sitting on every club board or exec office, certainly not ours in recent years.

And we don't have a Hollywood star ...

Doust didn't perform but I would think he is up against it knocking on those doors!
Those "heavy hitters" didn't get to where they are by complaining about fairness.

possm

Coach
Payments outside the cap by non club sponsors are allowed??

I think that is the rule when you aren't serious
While ever TPA/TPP are coincidental to the signing of a player contract, especially a player contract that provides a significant discount to a Club. E.g. Tedesco signing a player contract for a reported 700k, when his reported offer/value was 1200k and a sponsor just happens to make that offer - not while he was at the Tigers but after he decided to join the Roosters is a good example of TPA/TPP rorting.

However, put the arrangement of TPA/TPP in the hands of a player manager and have it registered by the NRL - under strict criteria - Tedesco may have decided to move to a Club he paid him more out of the salary cap e.g. say 900k plus the TPA/TPP.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL talking to clubs to publish figures on TPA's
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 19 Feb 2018, 07:44 PM

The NRL will retain third-party agreements outside the salary cap but is considering publishing the total amount each club's players earn through private sponsorship deals.

NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said player's individual earnings would not be disclosed but he believes greater transparency would help dispel many of the concerns about the amount some clubs are able to attract in third-party agreements.

Club chief executives were last week shown a breakdown of third-party agreements, which revealed only three clubs had players whose combined earnings from private sponsorships exceeded $500,000 in 2017.

The club with the most valuable private sponsorship deals - understood to be Melbourne Storm - has players earning a total of $788,000, while Brisbane Broncos and Penrith Panthers stars have combined third party agreements of about $550,000 each.

That order is likely to change this season following the departures of Matt Moylan and Bryce Cartwright from the Panthers.

The fourth club, believed to be based outside of Sydney, has third party agreements totalling just above $300,000, while another two had private deals worth more than $200,000 each and six clubs were below $100,000, with the lowest being $26,000.

Sydney Roosters are believed to be mid-table.

"There is a lot of misinformation around about third-party agreements and part of our job as the governing body is to address that," Weeks said. "We have got some discussions with the clubs and players to advance that.

"We are open to a range of measures to increase understanding and transparency around the cap, including potentially making those figures available."

Those discussions revolve around the publication of the amount each club's star players earn through third-party agreements, which include:

• Marquee player allowances, capped at $600,000 per club;
  • Whole of game sponsorship leveraging, often with State of Origin sponsors or government organisations;
  • Tools of trade, usually contra deals for boots or headgear; and
  • Arm's-length agreements, which are private deals between players and sponsors.
The total amount of third-party agreements in 2017 was $9.6 million spread among 198 players.

Of that amount, $3.76m is paid by the private sector and goes to 93 players. However, eight players earn 50 per cent of that figure.

Among the most well-known third-party agreements are Melbourne Storm star fullback Billy Slater, with Australian Bananas and Powerade, and his club and representative captain Cameron Smith's deal with VB.

Broncos forward Sam Thaiday is another player with high profile third-party agreements and has secured deals with a number of government and indigenous organisations in Queensland as he heads towards the end of his career.

"I think it is important that private information about player remuneration is retained in confidence," Weeks said.

Since the Parramatta Eels salary cap scandal in 2016, the amount of third-party deals in comparison to the salary cap has dropped from 12% to 6%.

Private sponsorship deals comprise 53% of all third-party agreements and this is the area most likely to cause concern for the NRL salary cap auditors.

nrl.com_tpas-graphic-002.jpg

However, the fact that 83% of all private sponsorship deals are with State of Origin stars or New Zealand and England Test representatives provides comfort, while the other 17 per cent are mostly young players with a high profile.

"We've adopted some changes in recent years that have arrested some of the trends we have seen around third-party agreements," Weeks said.

"We will continue looking at ways we can refine the process but I don't see any other option which would result in a wholesale change to the current system."

Weeks said that the effectiveness of the salary cap was demonstrated by the fact that 12 clubs have won the grand final since 2000, a figure which suggests the NRL is the most closely contested competition of any football code in world sport.

"What we have seen is 75% of our teams have won the competition since 2000 and that is significantly higher than any other major sports league in this country or around the world," Weeks said.

In comparison, the percentage of winning teams over the same period in AFL is 56%, Super Rugby 50%, the NFL 34% and EPL 25%.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/19...to-publish-figures-on-third-party-agreements/

Latest posts