What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a serious side.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If you think that Smith and DeBelin cancel each other out then I’m assuming you forget just how good Smith was for us. He owned the field. He provided more intimidation and monger than our current pack combined. The guy was an animal and was our biggest loss after winning that GF.

Sims providing more mongrel than Creagh doesn’t mean much. Creagh was far more reliable in defence and provided much more in attack. His lines, offload and complete lack of self preservation running off Hornby was a massive part of that left edge being so potent.

Will have to agree to disagree on Weyman vs Vaughan. IMO, Weyman is amongst our best props as a JV. He provided the go-forward and impact of Vaughan as well as leadership of Graham. A current Sharks/SOO forward I’ve spoken to said that he was amongst the top 2 scariest blokes in the league to tackle back then (with the other being Fuifui Moimoi). But I’d definitely take Vaughan and Graham over Costigan.

Will also have to disagree on McInnes vs Fien. Fiens defence was fine, and he provided more spark in attack than many hookers these days. His shorter minutes were tactical, as Dean Young played the utility role that Havili should have played for us last year. Different style of hooker, but I froth imagining what a 2010 Fien could do in our current team.

Fair call re: Prior vs Ah Mau. And probably fair about Merrin, he was effectively on debut in 2010 similar to Luc now.
I would actually take DeBelin over Smith. DeBelin is the best front on defender in the game. I have previously said that he should not bother with trying to ball play, but he is even improving that part of his game recently. DeBelin and Smith are both very tough. Roach said that DeBelin is our best player. Others are saying that he is the form forward in the competition. I do agree that Smith was a vital part of our 2010 team.

Carlton

Juniors
Soward was one of the most over rated players ever. The only part of his game that was better than Widdop's was his long kicking game.

Surely you can't believe that Widdop's long ball to the winger is better than Sowies or Widdop is better at field goals or Widdop was as quick as Sowie. Widdop has his own skills but he is not better than Sowie at a lot of things just as Sowie wasn't as good as Widdop at some things.

Without Sowie we wouldn't have won a premiership.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I honestly can’t see another point being scored against us all year, such is our supreme dominance and absolute superiority over the rest of the comp in every aspect of rugby league. In fact, all opposing team may as well not bother playing, there is only one outcome.

I’m surprised that they haven’t already sent the Provan-Summons trophy to the engravers and put in the order for 17 Clive Churchill medals (it’s not fair to single out one player when a team goes through the season undefeated and wins the GF by a million points).

Now, where did I put my 2009 Premiers t-shirt and winnings from my 2011 Minor Premiers payout...
Gallen said on 9 the other night that the sharkies do video sessions on our game to I prove theirs

Belta

Juniors
If the NRL competition was compared to a 400 metre race, the race has just started we are in the lead half way down the first straight, there's a long way to go. The winner will come from the pack once we have negotiated the bends and came down the final straight, it's here in its final leg, when it really counts that the true champion will surge away from the pack and claim the winners trophy. That's all anyone will remember.

Oddly enough, NO-ONE will remember who ran out infront at the beginning.

BennyV

Referee
Soward was one of the most over rated players ever. The only part of his game that was better than Widdop's was his long kicking game.
An interesting take. Once again, I'd have to (respectfully) disagree but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

The only aspect that Widdop holds strongly over Soward is defense, and Soward's defence was greatly exaggerated based on his dive against the Dogs and getting steamrolled once by GI (because he's the only player this has happened to!).

Sowards kicking game, both short and long, shits all over Widdops - and that's saying something, because Widdop is a great attacking kicker. But Soward had the ability to completely control a game with his boot alone. What's more than that, if the forwards were being matched in an arm wrestle, Soward's kicking game was what got us over the top of the opposition. Widdop has looked fantastic when our forwards are dominating, but cannot take control of a game the way Soward did in 2010 and 2011.

Sowards ball playing is sometimes overlooked because of the potency of our left edge, but I defy Widdop to throw some of the bullet passes that Sowie did to create tries! Overall, I'd rate them about even in this regard, maybe Widdop pips him based on his left edge when we are on top.

In terms of ball running, there's no comparison - Sowie had it all over Widdop! When he was on, he was near unstoppable. I'd be very interested to compare line break stats but I can't find any for Jamie from those years. But the 'quickest man over 40m' could blow a game open with his running game, something we've not actually seen from Widdop.

Jamie was a confidence player, for sure, but Widdop isnt exactly a shining beacon for consistency. Unless the team has been completely dominant then Widdop hasnt stood out, whereas Soward has single handedly won us games in that period. And if there's 10 minutes to go in a game and we are tied (or 6 points ahead!) then there's very few Dragons halves you'd want in the team over Soward. Im a big Widdop fan but Sowie's da man!

BennyV

Referee
2010/2018 Mash Up :)

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Weyman
9. Young
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Creagh
13. DeBelin

14. Soward
15. Scott
16. Smith
17. Graham
I'd go
1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale (2010 version)
6. Soward
7. Hunt
8. Weyman
9. Fien
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Creagh
13. Smith

14. Graham
15. Ah Mau
16. Scott
17. Young

Coach: Bennett

Issue is, who wears the 'C'. Of both squads, the most natural captain is Hornby but player wise, I cant see where he fits. Unless you start Graham over Vaughan and give him the captaincy. Or Creagh? Or start Young with the captaincy?

watatank

Coach
An interesting take. Once again, I'd have to (respectfully) disagree but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

The only aspect that Widdop holds strongly over Soward is defense, and Soward's defence was greatly exaggerated based on his dive against the Dogs and getting steamrolled once by GI (because he's the only player this has happened to!).

Sowards kicking game, both short and long, shits all over Widdops - and that's saying something, because Widdop is a great attacking kicker. But Soward had the ability to completely control a game with his boot alone. What's more than that, if the forwards were being matched in an arm wrestle, Soward's kicking game was what got us over the top of the opposition. Widdop has looked fantastic when our forwards are dominating, but cannot take control of a game the way Soward did in 2010 and 2011.

Sowards ball playing is sometimes overlooked because of the potency of our left edge, but I defy Widdop to throw some of the bullet passes that Sowie did to create tries! Overall, I'd rate them about even in this regard, maybe Widdop pips him based on his left edge when we are on top.

In terms of ball running, there's no comparison - Sowie had it all over Widdop! When he was on, he was near unstoppable. I'd be very interested to compare line break stats but I can't find any for Jamie from those years. But the 'quickest man over 40m' could blow a game open with his running game, something we've not actually seen from Widdop.

Jamie was a confidence player, for sure, but Widdop isnt exactly a shining beacon for consistency. Unless the team has been completely dominant then Widdop hasnt stood out, whereas Soward has single handedly won us games in that period. And if there's 10 minutes to go in a game and we are tied (or 6 points ahead!) then there's very few Dragons halves you'd want in the team over Soward. Im a big Widdop fan but Sowie's da man!

Soward was fast and a great kicker but I Dont think he was a particularly good ball player. He could throw a long cut out pass if you have him plenty of time but pretty much never passed short or took the ball to the line which we know Widdop does.

Carlton

Juniors
Soward was fast and a great kicker but I Dont think he was a particularly good ball player. He could throw a long cut out pass if you have him plenty of time but pretty much never passed short or took the ball to the line which we know Widdop does.

I think that Widdops short passing game is not that good and is one of the reasons our block plays suffered in previous years. You very rarely saw a secondrower or center running an in line and being put through a gap. And we did have players who ran those lines consistently, Joel Thompson being one of them. This may be more to do with the coach but I would have liked to have seen us using Dugan off a short ball.

mickeylane

Bench
I'd go
1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
6. Soward
7. Hunt
8. Weyman
9. Fien
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Creagh
13. Smith

14. Graham
15. Ah Mau
16. Scott
17. Young

Issue is, who wears the 'C'. Of both squads, the most natural captain is Hornby but player wise, I cant see where he fits. Unless you start Graham over Vaughan and give him the captaincy. Or Creagh? Or start Young with the captaincy?
Lol Soward over WIDDOP!
Soward the human speed bump compared to the tackling machine of WIDDOP
Soward goal kicking capabilities vs WIDDOP ?? Really?
WIDDOP is a world class player - Soward was never considered a world class player
Widdop sets up an average of 2.4 tries a match for the dragons - Soward? Lol
Widdop is the English captain over the likes of Graham, Burgess and the rest
Soward would rate behind Mundine, Barrett and MANN IMO!!

mickeylane

Bench
I'd go
1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
6. Soward
7. Hunt
8. Weyman
9. Fien
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Creagh
13. Smith

14. Graham
15. Ah Mau
16. Scott
17. Young

Not Soward!! What's he doing in that team anyhow?? I

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bingo and Soward only ever ran the ball, when opposition players could not lay a hand on him.

Soward didn't put any grubbers in for us to get repeat set either. Widdop does.

I think Benny V is romaticising about Soward. lol

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
I think that Widdops short passing game is not that good and is one of the reasons our block plays suffered in previous years. You very rarely saw a secondrower or center running an in line and being put through a gap. And we did have players who ran those lines consistently, Joel Thompson being one of them. This may be more to do with the coach but I would have liked to have seen us using Dugan off a short ball.

I think we have seen Widdop do it. Just last week he set up sims and he did set up Thompson a few times last year. He has a decent number of line break assists don’t have the exact numbers though. Could have done it more often, I agree but the ability is there and I think a lot of that was coaching. I can’t think of an instance where Soward makes a play like that no matter how long he can throw a pass

My point is that Soward has his obvious strengths and it was a key part of winning a premiership but was not a good ball player. Widdop is a more rounded ball player

The Damo

Juniors
People consistently underrated Soward when he played for us, and apparently still do. For those 3 years he had the best kicking game in the Comp, and it was daylight second. He broke so many teams as even if they were making good yards in all their sets and containing our forwards they’d still have to start off their ten metre line. Again, and again, and again.
And that acceleration, those line breaks and intercepts!
BennyV was right in the rest of his comparisons so I will leave it, except to reinforce that the complaints about his defence were way overstated largely based on his early days and that Inglis highlight. For those years he was no worse a defender than Thurston at the same time.

BennyV

Referee
Bingo and Soward only ever ran the ball, when opposition players could not lay a hand on him.

Soward didn't put any grubbers in for us to get repeat set either. Widdop does.

I think Benny V is romaticising about Soward. lol
Not at all. Soward has a far greater effect on, and was a far more important player within our 2010 side than Widdop has on our current team.

best side I've seen since 2010. love how our own supporters death ride us. go fk yourselves. where is the straight shooter flog?
You won’t hear from him till we lose 4/5 in a row then he’ll resurface saying how right he was all along and taking delight in the losing streak but based on present form I can’t see us going on a losing streak that dramatic so hopefully we don’t hear from him at all lol

slippery5

Juniors
I told you so. We may lose some games coming up, but I don't have to wait until mid season to have an opinion that this is a serious side. Not saying we are certain premiers, just a serious side!!!!!!!!!