What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thommo & Timmo

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Thompson and Timmins have given 10+ years service to the Dragons therefore shouldn't the Dragons get a 50k concession for these guys?

Same with Baz when his contract is up.

With the new 2 marquee player rules in place you would thing Coops and Gaz will be the 2 players therefore they should get some concessions as well.

If Saints win the comp or come very close to it I don't think anyone will leave the club next year. Why would they?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Slippery Morris said:
If Saints win the comp or come very close to it I don't think anyone will leave the club next year. Why would they?

Salary cap will force them out by 2007.

Slippery Morris said:
Thompson and Timmins have given 10+ years service to the Dragons therefore shouldn't the Dragons get a 50k concession for these guys?

Same with Baz when his contract is up.

With the new 2 marquee player rules in place you would thing Coops and Gaz will be the 2 players therefore they should get some concessions as well.

Surely the real issue here is junior dispensation.

Why does it not exist, and why has is disappeared from the agenda?

drake

First Grade
Daithi O'Conaill said:

City Ford says "No!" more often these days...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Daithi O'Conaill said:

I agree. But its obviously in the too hard basket.
In the minds of some clubs, discounts for developing juniors would create an uneven playing field.
Much better to have other club develop juniors and then wait until salary cap sees them join other clubs with little or no junior development.

It may be that we'll simply have to wait until these other clubs get their feeder arrangements properly recognised. A club like Melbourne for example is probably considered a 'growth area' - I know it sounds odd. But it may be the view of the NRL that the Storm need time to develop any local Melbourne juniors as well as their feeder arrangements within the QRL. The ultimate prize being a larger slice of the Melbourne audience.

I don't think any such excuse should exist for other current NRL clubs which have had generations to sort out their junior and feeder development. If they are waiting for other NRL clubs to develop players for them, then they should relocate or merge.

SHD

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Only one player, I think, is allowed the $100,000 ten year discount.

It's simply $100,000 discount to spread over as many 10 year players as you like, so yeah it might we well be 100k limited to the one.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Willow said:
I don't think any such excuse should exist for other current NRL clubs which have had generations to sort out their junior and feeder development. If they are waiting for other NRL clubs to develop players for them, then they should relocate or merge.

Such as the Roosters to a degree Souths.

One Inner-Sydney team, not two.

• Saints took the South Coast,
  • Manly the North Coast (although IMO they should relocate to Gosford),
  • Wests went further west with Balmain in tow,
  • Parramatta and Penrith have big chunks working well,
  • Brisbane scour most of Qld, as do the Cowboys,
  • NZ have a whole country,
  • Canterbury have excellent development of their juniors,
  • Newcastle have their own nursery,
  • Raiders have the Southern part of NSW,
  • Cronulla is iffy, but has the Shire, so that counts for something.
Get rid of Souths and/or the Roosters. A team that claims Ryan Cross, a union convert, as a junior, is clearly not producing enough home-grown material.

Saint 60

Juniors
Easts have a decent millionaire holding them up
Souths have a very big Souths juniors holding them up
Both have other incomes like film stars and the like and good luck to them lol

its going to be very interesting in the next 5 - 10 years..maybe longer

just my op.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Drew-Sta said:
  • Saints took the South Coast
  • Well it was always there. Illawarra has been a junior nursery ('a big backyard' as it used to be called) since the 1920s.
    Drew-Sta said:
    [*]Brisbane scour most of Qld, as do the Cowboys
    Sort of. The SE Qld Franchise agreement between the NRL and the Broncos is well over now. I should imagine things will change with Gold Coast coming in.
    Drew-Sta said:
    [*]Cronulla is iffy, but has the Shire, so that counts for something.
    Perhaps, but they seem to consistently looking for marquee players.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
100k....Why isn't Peachy staying at the Sharks then. He looks the only player who has played 10+ years at Cronulla?

Latest posts