What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

Vic Mackey

Referee
We need to fill our 30th spot with a centre ASAP. Marsters and Miline are both right centres, even so these are literally the only two centres we have if Suli is constantly injured.

Fonua and Kev can both play there, Kev was pretty decent at left center at the back end of the year. His defence was much better then when he was next to Nofa.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Interesting to hear Reynolds say that he will be playing both sides of the field in 2018. Is excited cause at the Dogs he was stuck on the right and he always felt his left foot step was his strongest weapon that couldn’t be used to as good effect on that side. Sounds like we’ll be playing a more traditional 1st/2nd receiver which IMO will suit both players

Tiger05

First Grade
Won’t surprise me at all if he’s captain too. From the looks of it he seems to be worth the $$$ so far

I think I'll wait until we see how he performs. I think he could be a terrible signing but I hope I'm wrong.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Interesting to hear Reynolds say that he will be playing both sides of the field in 2018. Is excited cause at the Dogs he was stuck on the right and he always felt his left foot step was his strongest weapon that couldn’t be used to as good effect on that side. Sounds like we’ll be playing a more traditional 1st/2nd receiver which IMO will suit both players
This was from that NRL podcast right?

I found it interesting the differences in training between the dogs and us. They did more long distance stuff where as Tigers are more about shuttles and stop start training. Hope it pays off.

Clifferd

Coach
This was from that NRL podcast right?

I found it interesting the differences in training between the dogs and us. They did more long distance stuff where as Tigers are more about shuttles and stop start training. Hope it pays off.

Didn’t listen to the podcast but I find that could indicate we will be throwing the ball around a lot this year aswell as playing a power game through the middle (have the forwards to do that now)

Vic Mackey

Referee
I called into the open training session yesterday. It was really only the backend of it with 10-15mins of drills.

Anyways they seemed to have a probable v possibles. Most interesting thing to me was that ET was at lock with McQueen and Lawrence on the edges. I much preferred ET on the edge with the size of Eisenhuth starting in the middle however seems Cleary might start the year with experience.

simmo1

First Grade
I called into the open training session yesterday. It was really only the backend of it with 10-15mins of drills.

Anyways they seemed to have a probable v possibles. Most interesting thing to me was that ET was at lock with McQueen and Lawrence on the edges. I much preferred ET on the edge with the size of Eisenhuth starting in the middle however seems Cleary might start the year with experience.

Was Suli there? I read from a possibly dubious source that he was training with NSW Cup due to coming back nearly 20kg overweight?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Was Suli there? I read from a possibly dubious source that he was training with NSW Cup due to coming back nearly 20kg overweight?

Nope. Didn’t see him, Benji or Gamble.

McQueens a lot bigger then I realized.

The McIntyre kid on the development contract looked real good. Lanky back rower with plenty of pace.

At the end Lolohea, Milne and Marsters hung around to practice goal kicking.

Tiger05

First Grade

This is interesting. I don't like the smaller backrow of ET, McQueen and Lawrence. Like you I want Eisenhuth at lock.

Still we have so many options now I think we have to give Cleary some time to try different options. I think ET is better at lock but we don't have massive edge backrowers.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This is interesting. I don't like the smaller backrow of ET, McQueen and Lawrence. Like you I want Eisenhuth at lock.

Still we have so many options now I think we have to give Cleary some time to try different options. I think ET is better at lock but we don't have massive edge backrowers.

Like I mentioned mate McQueens a lot bigger then I realized. For instance I’d say he’s a bigger dude then Twal. Those 3 in the back row are probably more of a lack of impact as opposed to size.

Tiger05

First Grade
Like I mentioned mate McQueens a lot bigger then I realized. For instance I’d say he’s a bigger dude then Twal. Those 3 in the back row are probably more of a lack of impact as opposed to size.

I didn't pick that. You are correct in that we need impact from our backrow but also from those middle 3 players. ET is great but he isn't great at getting metres up the middle. He is more of that old school defensive ball playing lock forward.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I didn't pick that. You are correct in that we need impact from our backrow but also from those middle 3 players. ET is great but he isn't great at getting metres up the middle. He is more of that old school defensive ball playing lock forward.

Yeah agree. That’s why most of us on here liked ET on the edge and Eiso in the middle. As good as ET is in the middle he gives away 100ms on most other 13s in the game along with a physical presence. Eiso gave us both of those and can still throw a decent pass. Whilst I trust Cleary I think it would be crazy to go back to ET in the middle.

Clifferd

Coach
It was only a few years ago McQueen played SOO. Wasn’t a fan when we signed him, but I reckon he might surprise a few if he gets back to full fitness

How did the backs line up? Marsters/Milne in the centres?

Vic Mackey

Referee
It was only a few years ago McQueen played SOO. Wasn’t a fan when we signed him, but I reckon he might surprise a few if he gets to full fitness

How did the backs line up? Marsters/Milne in the centres?

A couple of my best mates are souffs fans. They reckon getting rid of McQueen was a huge mistake. Seems like he’s kinda like Reynolds in that he’s a great club man, extremely professional trainer etc. Plus as mentioned he’s played SOO, grand final, test matches etc. He might not get back to his Origin form, but he’s not the type of bloke who will let you down.

Backs were

Tui

LW Fonua
LC Kev
RC Marsters
RW Nofa

Reynolds
Brooks

Clifferd

Coach
A couple of my best mates are souffs fans. They reckon getting rid of McQueen was a huge mistake. Seems like he’s kinda like Reynolds in that he’s a great club man, extremely professional trainer etc. Plus as mentioned he’s played SOO, grand final, test matches etc. He might not get back to his Origin form, but he’s not the type of bloke who will let you down.

Backs were

Tui

LW Fonua
LC Kev
RC Marsters
RW Nofa

Reynolds
Brooks

I just think Gold Coast is career suicide. Nobody really stands out there tbh, hence why I won’t judge his performances there

Naiqama at centre is interesting but not surprising considering Suli is injured and Milne is a bit inexperienced

the beavers

Juniors
I think eisenhuth will be on bench and replace et at lock
He will make up for the loss of size etc wen packer and matalino are replaced

With Macqueen and Lawrence likely to play 80 mins that means you can rotate packer matalino et twal eisenhuth sue through the middle.... should mean consistent go forward

Also great flexibility with most of those blokes also capable on the edge