What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

Clifferd

Coach
Seeing as it’s mainly a new squad I reckon there’s a fair chance some of the top squad might be there.

Having Lolohea, Brooks, Reynolds and Macca/Liddle mainly on the field for 20-30 mins couldn’t hurt

Need to test combinations ASAP.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Seeing as it’s mainly a new squad I reckon there’s a fair chance some of the top squad might be there.

Having Lolohea, Brooks, Reynolds and Macca/Liddle mainly on the field for 20-30 mins couldn’t hurt

Need to test combinations ASAP.
Don’t think Liddle will b ready to return for a while coz I’m sure he had an operation I think on shoulder not that long ago.

I really hope Gamble proves to b a star recruit & hence places enormous pressure on Brooks.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

unless by a sudden twist of fate, Reynolds goes into dummy half to receive a play the ball from Lolohea, and he passes into the head of a non-looking Luke Brooks..

the ball goes high, and Lolohea, Reynolds, Brooks & Liddle all run in to catch it, colliding with each other and rupturing 4 ACLs.

oh the humanity.

Das Hassler

Bench
See that Fittler has Reynolds as a definite maybe for another shot .....if it happened we will be very thankful we have benji to slip straight into the no. 6 as was Bennet last year

Clifferd

Coach
Not quite sure why Reynolds was even dropped from origin in the first place. Last origin half to win a series

But it might be a tad late to bring him back into it, unless he absolutely kills the 1st half of the season

BrotherJim05

Bench
Reynolds was huge in Origin. He may not have the talent of some other options that have been available but he plays like its life or death and didn't take his foot off the gas once...which is more than I can say for a lot of the other halves we have had over the years

Clifferd

Coach
Reynolds was huge in Origin. He may not have the talent of some other options that have been available but he plays like its life or death and didn't take his foot off the gas once...which is more than I can say for a lot of the other halves we have had over the years

Would rather have a guy who plays for every single play (reynolds) than a guy who plays to some boring robotic structure (mythchell piss).

This is why Pearce gets found out at origin level. He is so used to just cruising around at club level that he thinks he can play the same when it comes to origin. Players generally grow an extra leg at origin level (Queenslander nuffies for example; gagai, myles, guerra) while I’m pretty sure Pearce grows a vagina and hides.

super_coach

First Grade
Looking at our roster there is no way we will get anywhere near the top four and to be blunt top eight is unlikely. What Cleary has done has got players that will lay the foundations and if next year and the few after we can add some real class, we will have a team that might camp itself in the top four, for a few years.
This year was about targeting players that you knew what you were going to get week in and week out, it would have been nice to nail a real x factor player but that might be next year.

My hopes as far as wins and losses are not high, but I think teams will not enjoy playing us and we will be a hard nut to crack, but lack of speed and class will bites us

There is talk that RTS is unhappy at the Warriors and wants out with a possible move to union or the Wests Tigers,now if he could recapture his past form he would be handy for us.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Looking at our roster there is no way we will get anywhere near the top four and to be blunt top eight is unlikely. What Cleary has done has got players that will lay the foundations and if next year and the few after we can add some real class, we will have a team that might camp itself in the top four, for a few years.
This year was about targeting players that you knew what you were going to get week in and week out, it would have been nice to nail a real x factor player but that might be next year.

My hopes as far as wins and losses are not high, but I think teams will not enjoy playing us and we will be a hard nut to crack, but lack of speed and class will bites us
Agree.We definitely will b ugly to play against however we have an obvious lack of the X factor necessary to b a contender & our spine is not strong enough.In particular our 1 & 7 are shithouse !

HyperActive1

Juniors
Agree.We definitely will b ugly to play against however we have an obvious lack of the X factor necessary to b a contender & our spine is not strong enough.In particular our 1 & 7 are shithouse !
Not convinced our 1 is shithouse. I think Tui could be our X factor. He said in recent interview he's been working on linking up with backline. If marsters & Milne are chosen in the centres they gunna draw in defence being big boys. It's gotta create room for Tui and he's got pace. Think he's in for big year.

Clifferd

Coach
Not convinced our 1 is shithouse. I think Tui could be our X factor. He said in recent interview he's been working on linking up with backline. If marsters & Milne are chosen in the centres they gunna draw in defence being big boys. It's gotta create room for Tui and he's got pace. Think he's in for big year.

Agreed. I think Tui will go alright with the ball in hand, and his step is as good as I’ve seen since RTS from the Roosters days pre acl. my main concern is how he’ll go under the high ball

Brooks isn’t really as bad as what everyone says imo, the only major flaw in his game was 5th tackle options (which coincidentally is probably the most important aspect of being a halfback haha) but I don’t think it’s a hard fix at all if he’s committed

Last edited:

magpie_man

Juniors
Brooks isn’t really as bad as what everyone says imo, the only major flaw in his game was 5th tackle options (which coincidentally is probably the most important aspect of being a halfback haha)

Yep, I still have hope for Brooks, last season clearly showed that our team is better with him in it than out.
He has this season to prove himself: take control of his team, steer them around the field and close it out with better 5th tackle options.

HyperActive1

Juniors
Agreed. I think Tui will go alright with the ball in hand, and his step is as good as I’ve seen since RTS from the Roosters days pre acl. my main concern is how he’ll go under the high ball

Brooks isn’t really as bad as what everyone says imo, the only major flaw in his game was 5th tackle options (which coincidentally is probably the most important aspect of being a halfback haha) but I don’t think it’s a hard fix at all if he’s committed
That's the million dollar question "how's he under the high ball?" I guess having Ivan & Hodgo coaching him can't hurt. I also agree about Brooks, since the other three tosses left, everyone needed a new whipping boy and Brooksie is it. He'll find his feet this year.

super_coach

First Grade

super_coach

First Grade
Kicking game will make or break us. You can practice it for hours but at the end of the day you either have it in your D&A or you dont