What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

Clifferd

Coach
It doesn’t make sense that he isn’t playing in the main game.

We will run into massive problems if both naquaima & zelezniak r in the Nrl side in 2 weeks time.They r both substandard & ought to b playing for the magpies.We deadset have depth issues in the 3/4’s.Our best 3/4 line is Nofa Marsters Milne & Fonua/Thompson.We get hit by major injuries to the 3/4’s we will b in massive trouble !

It’s only trials but Naiqama playing centre 2 weeks in a row gives me a sick feeling he’ll start round 1

The guy has consistently underperformed for 3+ years at the club. Idc if he’s a good bloke or shredded to the bone, he should only be used as depth

Tiger Ted

Bench
It’s only trials but Naiqama playing centre 2 weeks in a row gives me a sick feeling he’ll start round 1

The guy has consistently underperformed for 3+ years at the club. Idc if he’s a good bloke or shredded to the bone, he should only be used as depth
I will b shocked if Milne & Fonua or Thompson r not ahead of 2 of the most inept outside backs in the nrl in Naiqama & zelezniak.Neither one of these 2 defense challenged impostors deserves to ever play NRL.

For us to have any chance of considering playing finals we need a monumental improvement in our kicking game & our outside backs must stop chronically leaking soft brain dead riddled tries.Naiqama & to a slightly lesser extent zelezniak have demonstrated time & time again that they r imbeciles in defense.

In IC I trust that the best 17 will b chosen each week !

Vozzy

Juniors
- on wests tigers forum I guy was saying before the first trial was even played that Corey Thompson was putting pressure on lolahea for the fullback spot.

- Kevin Naquama is so rocks and diamonds but seems to always get picked.

- also heard MWZ is massive in size this year so maybe guys in the past have worked on fitness/strength and have obviously trained better then others and have been picked.

- slot of these guys could be on last chance to prove yourself therefore have been picked. Lolahea may be a lock in for round 1 plus he is like our only goal kicker aswell.

gordsy

Juniors
I read else where that someone had raised the point that If Liddle cops an Injury he could see Reynolds moving to hooker and Benji coming in to play alongside Brooks/ Gamble (If Brooks continues to Impersonate a half back )

Personally I don't see that happening , nor would I like to but it would gives us better kicking options than the tripe Brooks serves up.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I read else where that someone had raised the point that If Liddle cops an Injury he could see Reynolds moving to hooker and Benji coming in to play alongside Brooks/ Gamble (If Brooks continues to Impersonate a half back )

Personally I don't see that happening , nor would I like to but it would gives us better kicking options than the tripe Brooks serves up.
The supreme dunce Brooks is the most pathetic impersonator of a halfback in the NRL ! He can’t kick can’t pass can’t set up play has zero vision & he’s a speed hump in defense !

Moses is a shitbag of a person with zero integrity but the undeniable fact is he’s light yrs ahead of our gump no. 7 in every aspect of a game managers essential attributes !

Vic Mackey

Referee
Geez I thought guys like Thompson and Rochow wouldn’t get near first grade this year and now it looks like they might be in our starting 13. I like that Cleary is picking on form but those guys don’t fill me with any confidence.

If that’s our spine in round 1 it’s comfortably the worst in the league, and we’ll be up against probably the best.

I like that Cleary is picking on form
but Vic, what form is there?
This is the 2nd and last trial and perhaps IC knows who's playing in Rd 1 and just wants to see and make sure. Maybe Cronulla will start their best team and IC wants to see how some of those guys like NaIqama, Watene-Zalezniak, Rochow, go from the start.

Look at other teams for the trials, there's no way the team announced by Dean Pay is the Rd 1 team but their opponents the Riff, would be their team.

I still have faith in IC ;)

Vic Mackey

Referee
but Vic, what form is there?
This is the 2nd and last trial and perhaps IC knows who's playing in Rd 1 and just wants to see and make sure. Maybe Cronulla will start their best team and IC wants to see how some of those guys like NaIqama, Watene-Zalezniak, Rochow, go from the start.

Look at other teams for the trials, there's no way the team announced by Dean Pay is the Rd 1 team but their opponents the Riff, would be their team.

I still have faith in IC ;)

I don’t know mate, if I think Tuis done something wrong, to not even be on the bench really makes me think somethings up

Clifferd

Coach
Could be a number of reasons for lolohea not playing firsts tbh

Ivan Throwing smokescreens

Not fit enough to handle 80 mins at fullback just yet (most likely)

Disciplinary reasons off field

I’m not a coach but I’m pretty sure you’d want the make up of your round 1 team playing in your final pre season hit out. Which makes me believe Lolo won’t be there rd 1

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Here is a theory:

Lolohea has impressed Ivan enough to take the fullback spot, howerver his goalkicking is a liability.

He has put him with the reserve graders to carve it up and get as much practice kicking goals in a real game as possible.

super_coach

First Grade
I would say bar injuries and players who are injured who might be fit by round 1, the side that has picked for the Sharks game will be the round one team.
Cant believe Tui is not a better no1 tham Tomo and Milne has to be in the team. Have heard Benji will be playing 14 come round one and Reynolds will be giving Killer a break.

Saturday nights teams is as exciting as a session of root canal therapy. Although its hard not to have some faith in Cleary and his strategy.

Tiger05

First Grade
I would say bar injuries and players who are injured who might be fit by round 1, the side that has picked for the Sharks game will be the round one team.
Cant believe Tui is not a better no1 tham Tomo and Milne has to be in the team. Have heard Benji will be playing 14 come round one and Reynolds will be giving Killer a break.

Saturday nights teams is as exciting as a session of root canal therapy. Although its hard not to have some faith in Cleary and his strategy.

The team doesn't fill you with confidence does it but Cleary seems to know his shit.

I'd have Fonua and Marsters on the left and Milne and Nofo on the right. Tui at the back.

Aloiai and Felise have to be in the top team and I'd even consider Mikaele or however you say his name. I thought Mikaele and Felise were our best forwards last week.

Clifferd

Coach
Mikaele can’t play 1sts this year because he’s on a developement contract, but agree he was a big standout

Tiger05

First Grade
Mikaele can’t play 1sts this year because he’s on a developement contract, but agree he was a big standout

They could promote him. He looked good. I probably wouldn't play him in the first game as we have too many other options but I can see him getting a spot at some point over the next couple of seasons.

super_coach

First Grade
No Liddle for the first month at least we need all the flair we can get our hands on. The old hard physical game based on a team of experienced hard heads is not enough to get the bacon these days. You need a mix of flair and the hard stuff. Anyway gagne first two months was always going to be a tall order who ever we pick

Tiger05

First Grade
1. Tui Lolohea
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Taane Milne
4. Esan Marsters
5. Mahe Fonua
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Elijah Taylor
10. Ben Matulino
11. Josh Aloiai
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Matt Eisenhuth

Interchange:
14. JJ Felise
15. Alex Twal
16. Chris McQueen
17. Tyson Gamble

I'd run with this team for our first game but I think we will run out pretty similar to the team picked to play Cronulla this weekend.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Wests Tigers fullback Tui Lolohea admits coach Ivan Cleary has told him he has "things to work on" in a reserve grade trial for the Magpies this weekend as club-mate Corey Thompson assumes the No.1 jersey for the top squad against Canterbury.

Former Bulldogs winger Thompson is back in the country after an impressive two-season stint with Widnes in the UK where he scored close to a try per game and played on both flanks with a few games at fullback.

Thompson was also one of the team's best in a 30-16 trial win over the Cowboys in Cairns on Saturday, including a second-half stint at fullback which was one of the team's best passages of play for the match.

The 27-year-old has been rewarded with the No.1 jersey this weekend, leaving Lolohea to contemplate a serious challenge to the fullback role many assumed he would simply inherit from now-Rooster James Tedesco.

"I've had a good chat with Ivan and there are some things I need to do," Lolohea told NRL.com.

"I'm really excited for this weekend and I can't wait to rip in with the boys. I'll be meeting some of the boys this week for the first time but I'm looking forward to having a consistent 80-minute game and just getting an 80-minute game under my belt."

The chance to play big minutes at the back to work on a few things was part of the reason for his demotion, according to Lolohea, but he was reluctant to expand on what exactly he needed to work on.

"I've had a good chat with Ivan and there are some things we've talked about. It's a good chance for me to put those things into practice," he said.

"I just kind of want to keep that between ourselves, that's the chat we've had and that's how it's going to stay."

After some inconsistent seasons at the Warriors where he was constantly shuffled around, including into a wing role where he openly admits he was not comfortable, followed by a half-season in the black and gold No.6 jersey, Lolohea was at least relishing the chance to focus on one position through the pre-season.

"It's good to stay in one position but I still need to get better, each day, each week," he said.

"It's good to get a pre-season at fullback. You get to analyse your game, your training sessions, you find out where your weaknesses are. Now that's done it's footy time where it's all going to happen and you get the chance to analyse your game a bit better and I'm excited for the season ahead.

"My main goal for this year is to be consistent, try and be a consistent fullback and just do my job for the team week in week out."

For his part, Thompson was relishing the opportunity this weekend presents to him in part because he is also among a log-jam of players (including fellow recruit Mahe Fonua and incumbent Malakai Watene-Zelezniak) vying for a left-wing spot with David Nofoaluma having a mortgage on the opposite flank.

"Growing up I was a fullback, all through juniors I was there, I've always had that little desire to play there. When I was at the Dogs I was fullback in reserve grade but in first grade every game I was on the wing and I got accustomed to that," Thompson told NRL.com of the chance presented to him this Saturday.

"I played left wing, right wing and a few games at fullback [at Widnes]. It doesn't bother me where I play. This pre-season me and Tui have trained out the back and it's helped with my fitness levels too.

"Some clubs don't take depth into account and I think it's very important. Me and Tui push each other too so we're always helping each other, if we see something that we could work better at, it's good, we need that. I'm vying for a wing spot as well. All the backs are fighting for their jobs."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/22/dropped-lolohea-faces-fullback-challenge/

Looks as though C Thompson may have overtaken Tui in the fullback pecking order through the pre-season. Fair enough too. At least we have guys pushing each other for positions in the team now.

Tiger05

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/22/dropped-lolohea-faces-fullback-challenge/

Looks as though C Thompson may have overtaken Tui in the fullback pecking order through the pre-season. Fair enough too. At least we have guys pushing each other for positions in the team now.

Thanks for that article. He spoke well. That is the sort of culture we want in the team. They are right in that Thompson was really good last week. If he keeps playing like that Tui will have to be special in reserve grade.