What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

Roosters signed Cronk because he was the best available.
Pearce is now potentially available yet we have shown no interest at all.
It’s why the Roosters are successful and we are not.
Im not a huge fan of Mitchell Pearce but he is miles ahead of Luke Brooks.
I’m hoping we’ve shown no interest because he end goal is to have Nathan Cleary at the club when his current contract at the Panthers is finished.

Fat f**king chance. Cronk is at Easts for two years. Guess whom else is off contract after that contract finishes?

simmo05

Bench
Cronk pretty much said it loud and what should be clear about how it really works at the chooks...he went there because they are a strong club and they offer him the opportunity to "expand his business portfolio" ...in other words come here and we will set you up so that your official nrl contract will seem like lunch money....if that ( in the spirit of the rules) is not an inducement beyond any third party agreement then what the hell is?! ...that's how it works..their marquee players sign for their nominal amount and the "opportunities" take care of the rest...whether property or business. The rest of the journeyman squad take it or leave it
Wouldnt it be great to have one of the richest men in the country as your biggest fan? ( harry you cheap merkin, dont ever say your a real supporter )

Tiger05

First Grade
Wouldnt it be great to have one of the richest men in the country as your biggest fan? ( harry you cheap merkin, dont ever say your a real supporter )

What doesn't this merkin just throw in some money and purchase someone like say Michael Morgan.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Honestly, if we were to target another half I would want Hogdinson. Him and Grub won an origin series and played plenty of footy together. Barring that, lets see how what we already have plays out.

f**k yes.

We should make a calculated play for Pearce to drive up his asking price, then when Newcastle Knights make their massive bid we make a play for Hodkinson. It's pretty clear that Hodkinson isn't in the Knights long term plans. Signing Pearce would mean they could have Pearce/Watson in the halves (who have played together before) and continue developing Lamb (not like he is going to get picked up anywhere else).

Hodkinson ticks so many boxes: Organising half, proven track record with Reynolds, excellent kicking game, goalkicker, decent defender. Imagine both our halves being competent defenders? No seriously, just imagine that for a second as I don't ever recall a time when we had this at the Wests Tigers.

It's pretty harsh edging Brooks out like this but Hodkinson/Reynolds combo would completely change our team

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
Roosters signed Cronk because he was the best available.
Pearce is now potentially available yet we have shown no interest at all.
It’s why the Roosters are successful and we are not.
Im not a huge fan of Mitchell Pearce but he is miles ahead of Luke Brooks.
I’m hoping we’ve shown no interest because he end goal is to have Nathan Cleary at the club when his current contract at the Panthers is finished.
No the club has made inquiries about Pearce.

macnaz

Staff member
What doesn't this merkin just throw in some money and purchase someone like say Michael Morgan.
BECAUSE . the NRL has banned Harry from being a third party sponsor , their reasoning is he was a club sponsor so he isnt at "arns length of the club" .
Real reason i believe is he would blow merkins like Politis out of the water with real money and upset the big boys in league town.

f**k yes.

We should make a calculated play for Pearce to drive up his asking price, then when Newcastle Knights make their massive bid we make a play for Hodkinson. It's pretty clear that Hodkinson isn't in the Knights long term plans. Signing Pearce would mean they could have Pearce/Watson in the halves (who have played together before) and continue developing Lamb (not like he is going to get picked up anywhere else).

Hodkinson ticks so many boxes: Organising half, proven track record with Reynolds, excellent kicking game, goalkicker, decent defender. Imagine both our halves being competent defenders? No seriously, just imagine that for a second as I don't ever recall a time when we had this at the Wests Tigers.

It's pretty harsh edging Brooks out like this but Hodkinson/Reynolds combo would completely change our team

Hasn't Hodkinson gone to England for three years?

Harry has had TPA's kyboshed in the not too distant past due to being a past major sponsor apparently.

EDIT: Sorry Macca, didn't see your post until after I replied.

Tiger05

First Grade
BECAUSE . the NRL has banned Harry from being a third party sponsor , their reasoning is he was a club sponsor so he isnt at "arns length of the club" .
Real reason i believe is he would blow merkins like Politis out of the water with real money and upset the big boys in league town.

Is this really true ? I don't think it is. I reckon Harry could chip in just like the merkins who support the Rorters.

Das Hassler

Bench
This is how it may happen in a parallel rugby league universe ....For amusement purposes only....Harry wouldnt have to chip in any money ( as we know money)....when west of Rome you do what the Romans do...introduce the prospective signing to the HIGHLY motivated seller of a few apartments with harbour views that were bought off the plan but now need to be unloaded urgently ....then take him to see a very helpful mortgage broker handling the investments of an intimate group of smiling former and current A Listers who happen to be club supporters and are more than happy to fascilitate a customised repayment plan ( including flexible means of how and by whom that plan may be repaid) in keeping with the topsy turvy climate of the real estate market... Our new signing expands his real estate potfolio and gets hooked up with some handy people to know after the bumps and bruises have taken their toll.

Clifferd

Coach
Hodkinson is absolutely hopeless these days.

I reckon he still has more to offer. It’s not easy to look good in that rabble of a Newcastle team, basically been reserve grade standard the last few years. Not even someone like JT or Cronk would’ve helped them

I think they’ll be a lot better next years onwards though

simmo1

First Grade
I reckon he still has more to offer. It’s not easy to look good in that rabble of a Newcastle team, basically been reserve grade standard the last few years. Not even someone like JT or Cronk would’ve helped them

I think they’ll be a lot better next years onwards though

He was being outplayed by Brock Lamb by season's end. He was a solid player back in the day, but his knees are shot and his best has well and truly passed.

It would be a typical Tigers signing though - go for the cheap option and hope for the best, rather than go for the bloke who might cost more, but will unquestionably improve the team.

Front-Rower

First Grade
To those who think Hodgson will fix our h/b problem because he was part of that NSW victory in 2014 let’s look at the facts; NSW scored 26 points over 3 games in that series compared to QLD’s 44. NSW scores 12 points in one game and 6 and 8 in each of the other two. Have a long hard think about that.

Edit - fixed bad spelling and slight adjustment to the SOO scores

BrotherJim05

Bench
re: Harry T, I remember he went out in the media and accidentally said that the Wests Tigers had told him which players to give TPAs to. I reckon NRL got wind of this and basically gave Wests Tigers a warning in the form of, "no TPAs from Harry T or we will launch and investigation into each TPA signed by him...once we are done investigating Parra".

However, maybe Harry is just in the process of setting up shell corporations that technically have no link to him. Once he is done we will probably see Cameron Smith playing for us with TPAs from Wolf Cola haha (Always Sunny reference)

Re: Hodkinson, you cannot evaluate him on his form at Newcastle. So many players are able to redeem themselves at new clubs and I reckon Hodkinson would be one of them. I'm happy to persist with Brooks for now though

Tiger05

First Grade
We don't need Hodgkinson because he is past it and was never that good. We have a good team now. We just need quality players to come in hopefully in the spine.

Last edited:

Radical Rat

Juniors
I can't believe some of you blokes are keen on Hodkinson. Did you watch any Knights games last year? He is without doubt the worst halfback in the comp. He was bog average at his best. He is absolutely shot now.

Jump into the Knights forum and see what they think of Hodkinson.

If you're already worried about where the points are coming from next year, imagine him steering us around.

Hodkinson makes Brooks looks like JT.