What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

I can't believe some of you blokes are keen on Hodkinson. Did you watch any Knights games last year? He is without doubt the worst halfback in the comp. He was bog average at his best. He is absolutely shot now.

Jump into the Knights forum and see what they think of Hodkinson.

If you're already worried about where the points are coming from next year, imagine him steering us around.

Hodkinson makes Brooks looks like JT.

I said if he found that form again. I wouldn't sign him based on last year. At his best he is a very good player.
If it's between Hodkinson and Pearce, it's Jr Jr every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Shredder

Juniors
Jr Jr has been linked to us before. It was before he signed his last long term contract.

Hes always linked to us when he comes off because of his dad.

He has made it clear he doesnt want to play here as he wants to build his own legacy. I think those were his words.

My understanding is we could offer him $2mln a season and he wouldnt be interested.

Its funny, the reason that most people (including the press) think he would be interested in playing here is exactly the reason he doesnt want to.

Vozzy

Juniors
Alex Twal

Stats against england
105m
43 tackles

Tim Mannah

Stats against England
50m
26 tackles

Stats are similar for first game
135m each and 29 tackles for twal 25 Mannah but Twal was off the bench this game.

I really would like to see this guy start for us next year he is out performing a player who was obviously keeping him out of the parra first grade team.

We all talk about packer and matalino but this guy after his first off season in first grade could be what we are looking for.

He adds size to our pack which we have lacked for years and has a motor on him. He could even start in the back row if we want some real size in our starting pack.

philgood

Juniors
Alex Twal

Stats against england
105m
43 tackles

Tim Mannah

Stats against England
50m
26 tackles

135m each and 29 tackles for twal 25 Mannah but Twal was off the bench this game.

I really would like to see this guy start for us next year he is out performing a player who was obviously keeping him out of the parra first grade team.

We all talk about packer and matalino but this guy after his first off season in first grade could be what we are looking for.

He adds size to our pack which we have lacked for years and has a motor on him. He could even start in the back row if we want some real size in our starting pack.

He's not the biggest front rower but geez hes got a big motor! Looking forward to next year

simmo05

Bench
Hodekinson will be the next ballin if we signed him. Knees are buggered, plus he wasnt that good anyway. Brooks has plenty of upside, hodkinson is all downside risk for me

Tiger05

First Grade
Hodekinson will be the next ballin if we signed him. Knees are buggered, plus he wasnt that good anyway. Brooks has plenty of upside, hodkinson is all downside risk for me

Exactly. We need to stop looking at players who were average 5+ years ago and getting hard-ons over them.

Vozzy - Twal is looking like a player who is going to come on next season. He should be one of the first picked front rowers in the team. Some players just look like quality first graders from the start and he is one of them.

I also reckon Suli might have a big year if he can remain injury free.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Jr Jr has been linked to us before. It was before he signed his last long term contract.

Hes always linked to us when he comes off because of his dad.

He has made it clear he doesnt want to play here as he wants to build his own legacy. I think those were his words.

My understanding is we could offer him $2mln a season and he wouldnt be interested.

Its funny, the reason that most people (including the press) think he would be interested in playing here is exactly the reason he doesnt want to.

Yeah I remember when he was first being looked at by NRL clubs at like 16 from norths SG Ball and Wayne said something like he'd advised him never to go to the Tigers. It's a bit of a shame but these days he isn't thought of as 'Wayne's son' and it'd be weird to see him playing for us.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Alex Twal

Stats against england
105m
43 tackles

Tim Mannah

Stats against England
50m
26 tackles

Twal was certainly one out of the box and agree he seems more like a starting prop who plays big minutes as opposed to one who comes on after 25-30 mins. Been mentioned many times Matulino prefers to come off the bench so you'd think he might be fighting it out with Grant for the other starting spot. At this stage I'd have TG infront of him but that would probably change midway through the year.

I really think Sue is in massive danger of missing out next year. Twal, Eisenhuth and Aloiai were all much more impressive then him in last 10-12 rounds of the year. Would be a shame as he has been a mainstay in our pack and also a local junior, however it shows how much competition we'll have for spots next year.

Clifferd

Coach
Twal has literally never had a below average game at the top level that’s the most impressive thing. Consistently makes 100+ running metres, 30+ tackles and doesn’t miss many either.

I honestly reckon Parra are kicking themselves for letting him go

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Twal has literally never had a below average game at the top level that’s the most impressive thing. Consistently makes 100+ running metres, 30+ tackles and doesn’t miss many either.

I honestly reckon Parra are kicking themselves for letting him go

He clearly isn't a big enough thug to make the parra pack.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Twal was certainly one out of the box and agree he seems more like a starting prop who plays big minutes as opposed to one who comes on after 25-30 mins. Been mentioned many times Matulino prefers to come off the bench so you'd think he might be fighting it out with Grant for the other starting spot. At this stage I'd have TG infront of him but that would probably change midway through the year.

I really think Sue is in massive danger of missing out next year. Twal, Eisenhuth and Aloiai were all much more impressive then him in last 10-12 rounds of the year. Would be a shame as he has been a mainstay in our pack and also a local junior, however it shows how much competition we'll have for spots next year.
You are forgetting Packer aswell Vic. He will be one starter

BrotherJim05

Bench
Twal was rookie of the year for Tigers imo. His motor was fantastic, but what was incredible was his error rate. I think he missed 4 tackles in his first 5 games (IN TOTAL - avg <1 missed tackle a game).

I definitely see him as a starting prop. Soak up the first 20 minutes with consistent defence then let Mautilino come on at a crucial time to break the game open. I reckon Sue will get a bench spot for his utility value at in both forwards and back row.

ET is the one that is difficult to place. Play him at lock and you have a ball playing a tackle machine, or put him at 2nd row and displace Lawrence or Mcqueen.....not sure how it will go

Vozzy

Juniors
Im struggling to think what our best 17 is which is good. Have competition for spots thats for sure. The centres are hard to pick. Marsters, Suli, milne and fonua. The wingers we have nofaluma mwz thompson naquiama.

Then the back row is the same. Taylor, lawrence, eisenhuth, aloiai, sue, McQueen and even Rochow(plodder a bit but good for 7th)

2 hookers

Reynolds brooks gamble and Marshall in the halves. Even lolahea was starting to play well in the 6 jumper and also this world cup. He is doing well getting repeat sets for tonga.

Hope they get flogged in the offseason and no one is a walk up start no more.

Clifferd

Coach
Pre season training starts on Thursday I believe

We have a few in the World Cup though so not everyone will be available (Naiqama, Packer, Taylor, Milne, Fonua and Twal)

Clifferd

Coach
Ivan and Ronnie Palmer back together.......you poor bastards this won't end well

What’s the story behind this? I know Penrith had a serious bad run with injuries in 15’ and for some reason the blame was put on these two guys unless there’s more to it

What’s the story behind this? I know Penrith had a serious bad run with injuries in 15’ and for some reason the blame was put on these two guys unless there’s more to it
2014-15 were the worst years for injury I've ever seen a club have. 2016 after they were booted and we were fine

Latest posts