What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

Vic Mackey

Referee
"It's been our toughest off season to date..."

I will get excited when the results start coming.

The interesting thing was that Taylor openly said they'd made it a lighter off season on purpose last year. Then we proceeded to die in the arse around the 60 min mark in the first 4 rounds. Genius.

Clifferd

Coach
"It's been our toughest off season to date..."

I will get excited when the results start coming.

I know it’s cliche but it probably will be for majority players, except for those players coming from better systems

Ole mate Palms and Cleary will belt them. They don’t f**k around

Vic Mackey

Referee
Interesting read re Reynolds and Brooks

1. Josh Reynolds off to a flying start

One of the high-profile arrivals in season 2018, Josh Reynolds ended the 2017 season with an ankle injury that would seemingly hamper the start to his pre-season training. Or not. After arriving back from the United States on holidays, Reynolds was flying through the Club’s time trials on Day 1 (we’ll keep his time to ourselves), and was looking extremely sharp with the ball in hand. His combination with Luke Brooks too was going along perfectly; the pair had trained together a few times in the off-season and looked to be having a great time together at training on Day 1. Certainly good signs for Wests Tigers fans and the halves ahead of 2018!

Interesting read re Reynolds and Brooks

1. Josh Reynolds off to a flying start

One of the high-profile arrivals in season 2018, Josh Reynolds ended the 2017 season with an ankle injury that would seemingly hamper the start to his pre-season training. Or not. After arriving back from the United States on holidays, Reynolds was flying through the Club’s time trials on Day 1 (we’ll keep his time to ourselves), and was looking extremely sharp with the ball in hand. His combination with Luke Brooks too was going along perfectly; the pair had trained together a few times in the off-season and looked to be having a great time together at training on Day 1. Certainly good signs for Wests Tigers fans and the halves ahead of 2018!

Yeah I found that interesting too. No matter whom approached who to kick it off, it's positive as one of them has taken the initiative to get an early start.

If Brooks doesn't get his shit together this year with 5th tackle options and short kicking he could be spending 2019 in ISC.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah I found that interesting too. No matter whom approached who to kick it off, it's positive as one of them has taken the initiative to get an early start.

If Brooks doesn't get his shit together this year with 5th tackle options and short kicking he could be spending 2019 in ISC.

You'd be pretty shocked if it wasn't Josh who set it up. I think he'll be excellent for Brooks and exactly what he needs

You'd be pretty shocked if it wasn't Josh who set it up. I think he'll be excellent for Brooks and exactly what he needs

Yeah I'd have a stab that it was him. He'll be looking for a huge year to put it over the Dogs, I really think they broke his heart.

Tiger05

First Grade
I've been thinking how the team will line up.

I figure the backs are going to look like this at the start of the season. There is some talent there. Heaps of unknowns but that backline could score some points and they will be hard to handle physically.

1. Tui
2. Fonua
3. Suli
4. Milne
5. Nofa
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks

The pack to me is less clear:-

8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Twal
11. McQueen/Lawrence
12. ET
13. Eisenhuth

Then the bench which is hard to pick:-

14. Grant/Sue -- prop interchange
15. Matulino -- prop or lock interchange
16. Aloiai -- forward interchange but I'd like to play him at lock to just bash and barge up the middle
17. Benji -- utility where required

I figure having Twal on at the start as he is a workhouse and will play big minutes. Packer/Grant or Sue & Matulino will get plenty of game time but less than Twal. Liddle can't play 80 minutes so I figure we have Benji as a utility off the bench.

Some good players miss out.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
Agree with you on the backs 05. I would have Nofo and Suli on the same side though - any sort of combination they may already have would be handy with a completely new backline.

I still like the idea of ET starting at hooker - playing out the first 20 or so there, then moving back to the back row.

Benefits are that Liddle isnt thrown into the start of the game and can then play out the rest of the match. ET plays a solid (not outstanding) hooker role with excellent defence. It also allows us to carry an extra forward:

8 Packer
9 ET
10 Twal
11 Aloiai
12 McQueen
13 Eiso

14 Matulino
15 Grant
16 Sue
17Marsters

Tiger05

First Grade
I thought about ET at hooker but I figure that might be making it too complex. You also don't have Liddle on the bench and I reckon we need him in the team.

I think Marsters is hard done by if he isn't picked but I can't find a spot for him.

I'd love to see Suli inside of Nofo. That side could be awesome. We need to give the ball to the outside backs plenty next year.

There are so many options in the forwards. If we had another big backrower I'd love to play ET at lock.

8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Twal
11. Aloiai
12. Marsters -- or even better buy someone like Murdoch-Masila.
13. ET

Then the bench:-

14. Grant -- prop interchange
15. Matulino -- prop interchange
16. Sue -- lock interchange
17. Benji -- utility where required

Basically just have ET ball playing up the middle and being solid defensively for say 60 minutes a game and get Sue to give us 20 odd quality minutes in the middle. Then have basically 4 big forwards and a big set of outside backs playing a power game.

I think that team would work as well and it means Eisenhuth, McQueen and Lawrence miss out.

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Agree with you on the backs 05. I would have Nofo and Suli on the same side though - any sort of combination they may already have would be handy with a completely new backline.

I still like the idea of ET starting at hooker - playing out the first 20 or so there, then moving back to the back row.

Benefits are that Liddle isnt thrown into the start of the game and can then play out the rest of the match. ET plays a solid (not outstanding) hooker role with excellent defence. It also allows us to carry an extra forward:

8 Packer
9 ET
10 Twal
11 Aloiai
12 McQueen
13 Eiso

14 Matulino
15 Grant
16 Sue
17Marsters
Surely one of those bench spots goes to Liddle based on your idea to bring him on after 20? So you lose one of those forwards.

Tiger05

First Grade
Marsters and Aloiai should be the first centre and backrower picked.

I don't think you can pick Marsters when we have Milne and Suli. Aloiai is definitely one of the first picked but does he play off the bench ?

simmo1

First Grade
I don't think you can pick Marsters when we have Milne and Suli. Aloiai is definitely one of the first picked but does he play off the bench ?

You definitely can. Milne was a bench player at St George, and Suli is still a rookie (albeit one with massive potential). Marsters showed more than both last year and absolutely deserves first crack.

Aloiai was fantastic at the end of last year, and I feel Lawrence and McQueen are both past it these days.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You definitely can. Milne was a bench player at St George, and Suli is still a rookie (albeit one with massive potential). Marsters showed more than both last year and absolutely deserves first crack.

Aloiai was fantastic at the end of last year, and I feel Lawrence and McQueen are both past it these days.

I agree. In someway I think Marsters was under rated last season. Twal, Esio, Liddle and Suli got heaps of wraps yet I felt Esan got left out a bit. He came into play right center which had been a massive problem for us. Our right side defense was a farce for years with Moses, kev and nofa seemingly having no idea what each other were doing.

Esan came in and I think it was no coincidence the right side defence stiffened right up. He isn’t a traditional center but added something different. He can pass before, at or through the line and showed a good short kicking game.

I’ve always thought he was more of a backrower but the media reports are that he’s come back lighter then last year so I’m assuming the club see him as a center.

Milne is massive, quick, strong and extremely aggressive. Something the club has always lacked. He has also shown this WC he is a capable goal kicker.

Then we have Suli who has the most talent of them all. Whilst he could be anything I found him a bit lazy last year and his defense is nowhere near Esans. Everyone (including myself) has Moses as an automatic starter in the centers however that may be a bit premature.

The center battle will be one to watch in the trials. Marsters versatility might count against him but to me he is bench at worst. Also interesting to note that Tony Tali is training with the first grade squad over summer. Another very talented 3/4 coming through the ranks.

Also agree re Aloiai. He was our best forward if not best player the last 6 weeks playing on the edge. He’s my first back rower picked.

Milne is massive, quick, strong and extremely aggressive. Something the club has always lacked. He has also shown this WC he is a capable goal kicker.
Milne has been very good in the RLWC.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bati captain gets the starting wing spot in Round 1, Naiqama has shown maturity and great improvement in his game, I think IC would be very impressed with his performances.

Tiger05

First Grade
I can't go past Milne and Suli as our centres. Marsters may get the spot and prove me wrong but at this point I'd be picking those two.

We have a very different team this year simply because of the depth we have.

Kev has been great but I wouldn't pick him. I like the idea of just having a power backline. If Tui struggles at 1 then Kev will get the role.

I can't wait until the season starts.

Shredder

Juniors
Edit - yeah I left Liddle off - he would come onto the bench - having a forwards love day.

Didnt want to edit my original post as some of the replies wouldnt make sense then

My bad -

rabbitohs95

Bench
With the Fijians doing well in the World Cup does anyone give Naiqama a shot at fullback? Haven't seen any of him but he's captaining them and they're killing giants at the moment. Can anyone confirm if he's been doing well or has he just been riding the wave?