What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three games on Anzac Day 2014?

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think it may be even better to have the raiders at 2pm hosting a game in our capital to kick things off on the day. Leave the broncos for another timeslot and get them vs the cowboys or similar.

applesauce

Bench
to quote a man less smarter than i..

anzac day is a day of rememberance, not a day of football.

i think both the NRL and AFL have got it right by having a traditional game, with the dedication & respect provided to those who have fallen..

the 2nd game in the NRL is pushing it enough.. to then have the entire day dedicated to football just seems ridiculous and disrespectful, and loses the essence of both anzac day, and the traditional anzac day game.

the potential solution if other clubs want to get in on the act could be to have the winner defend their trophy, the loser out of the anzac day match for the following year.

the winner could then play, say, the minor premier from the prior year.. eg this year would have been dragons v bulldogs.. keeps some kind of link from year to year, but allows other clubs to be a part of the anzac day ceremony, without going for football overkill.

You're inferring the AFL don't have two games. The Swans and Saints played in NZ after the Collingwood Essendon game. 6hours of footy (AFL) vs 4hours (NRL).

elbusto

Coach
You're inferring the AFL don't have two games. The Swans and Saints played in NZ after the Collingwood Essendon game. 6hours of footy (AFL) vs 4hours (NRL).
And next year they are planning to have three and monopolise the whole day.

I think the idea of playing the first game at 2pm in Canberra is a bloody good one. Follow that with Easts v Saints and Storm V Warriors is good.

Having said that I would not dismiss the idea of the Warriors and Storm playing in Kiwi land on that day.

The links and reasons are obvious.

beave

Coach
If 3 games are what is on the cards, this is what I would Do

chooks v dragons at 3pm

Cowboys v Raiders at 5:30pm

Storm V Warriors at 7:30pm

In sydney 3:30 gives everyone time to do the march/parade, have a beer and then get to the game. This game needs to be kept as it has been proven to,be a big hit.

Cows raiders, this game has potential if its promoted right and also has the potential to raise our crowd averages as we generally only get about 13-14k for this fixture each year. 5:30 is a good time as its just coming on dusk and the weather has generally cooled off a bit and is good for players and fans. Plus the earlier kick off you would hope would allow the ADF members to turn up at the game in a semi decent state ;-)

Storm warriors- later slot allows the AFL mob time to get over to AAMI, like the first game, has been proven a hit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be a perfect occasion to host a game in PNG every year. Celebrate the help the people of png gave, celebrate RL in png, give an incentive to develop a decent national stadium for pngrl and would make amazing viewing for TV.

KiamaSaint

Coach
the winner could then play, say, the minor premier from the prior year.. eg this year would have been dragons v bulldogs.. keeps some kind of link from year to year, but allows other clubs to be a part of the anzac day ceremony, without going for football overkill.

Would that have meant the Dragons got the Bye in '09 and '10?

docbrown

Coach
I would keep it at 2 games until the 2nd NZ team joins the NRL

Agreed. If there was going to be 3 games on Anzac Day it makes sense that the 3rd was actually playing in the New Zealand.

Perth Red said:
Would be a perfect occasion to host a game in PNG every year.

If it were in the round before or after you'd get tourists who were making the trek up. I don't think so much for Anzac Day itself but it's actually a pretty smart suggestion.

I think it may be even better to have the raiders at 2pm hosting a game in our capital to kick things off

I'd like to see the Raiders host a game on Anzac Day Eve to kick things off. You could start it early if it's on Fox - say around 6:45pm or 7:00pm considering that it's in Canberra and there's a holiday and dawn service the next morning.

LJC

Juniors
We have all the ingredients to do that as it is.

We probably will never win the viewing figures over the AFL as it is their biggest day outside GF day.

Our Anzac Day compliments our season, without it being the highlight. But it is growing in its current form and I see no reason for change. Dilution could negate its significance.

I would suggest that RL can easily outrate Aust Rules given the fact that FTA coverage has only just started on Channel 9 after years of Pay TV coverage.

RL is a far more potent TV product than Aust Rules! When the game finally adds a team (West Coast Pirates and another team in time), the ratings comparisons will embarrass other codes. RL will be the true and deserved TV ratings king!

It's a matter of the audience getting used to this FTA coverage. It should have been on FTA in the previous TV deal! Finally the powers that be have worked it out!

eozsmiles

Bench
Next year's calendar is a bit different with Easter falling from April 18-21 and Anzac Day the following Friday. Is the test match on the 18th (Good Friday)?

For a year when Anzac Day was on the Friday and the rep w'end was the previous week, then there would be no Monday footy (no club game for 10 days) and it opens it up for a Thursday night game before Anzac Day. I don't mind the idea of having a long week of club footy IE games across 5 days, after the long break for the rep matches.

captainwarrior

Juniors
I say leave it as it is, and only because next year ANZAC Day falls on a Friday meaning it would mean the Warriors on FTA, and having a game in Brisbane will take that away you would most likely think.

for next year, i would leave it to two as well. Have the Dragons-Roosters game in the arvo, and the Storm-Warriors game at 7.30 (and for the Warriors to have the rare FTA game). A thursday night game prior to this day could would too.

I can see 3 games held on Anzac Day in 2015, as it will be a Saturday, and there are usually 3 games held on Saturdays anyway.

IanG

Coach
Just a thought as next year ANZAC Day is on a Friday:

Warriors v Storm 2pm

Easts v St George 4pm

Brisbane v ? 7pm

Three massive games - massive crowds, huge ratings and a great day of footy.

Main problem will be the Storm game.

aw No not the f**kin' Ponies

PARRA_FAN

Coach
for next year, i would leave it to two as well. Have the Dragons-Roosters game in the arvo, and the Storm-Warriors game at 7.30 (and for the Warriors to have the rare FTA game). A thursday night game prior to this day could would too.

I can see 3 games held on Anzac Day in 2015, as it will be a Saturday, and there are usually 3 games held on Saturdays anyway.

Next year would be interesting, maybe there will be a Thursday night cause Ive never known a regular Storm/Warriors game to be on Channel 9.

I wouldnt be surprised if they put a Thursday night match, which would be a good idea before a Public Holiday. The only time I prefer Thurday night football.

Saint Doc

Coach
Very tricky next year

You have to fit:
Good Friday Souths vs dogs
ANZAC Day dragons roosters and storm warriors

And in between its 100 years since Gallipoli landing and they were going to play ANZACS vs England

What gives?

Very tricky next year

You have to fit:
Good Friday Souths vs dogs
ANZAC Day dragons roosters and storm warriors

And in between its 100 years since Gallipoli landing and they were going to play ANZACS vs England

What gives?

we landed in 1915. Next year is 99 years. Sorry.

NrlCoach

Juniors
96b57e68_holland-meme-generator-awwwwwww-he-s-so-mad-f66847.jpeg

gronkathon

First Grade
No.

We are lucky to get away with holding two games.

You want to hold 6 odd hours of NRL coverage on ANZAC Day? f**k off