What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throwing the ball at the player in the ruck

soc123_au

Staff member
Just had another one in the Broncos v Roosters. Pegged it straight at Napa to get the penalty.

Leber

Bench
The bloke who threw it at an injured Lino who was on the ground yelling in pain last week, was a total merkin aswell.

Charlie124

First Grade
Has to be changed during the week. Don't wait till the offseason, its not a rule that would affect how any team trains or plays. Just change it now and improve the game overnight.

nick87

Coach
i have mixed views on it. I mean the onus should be on the defender clearing the ruck, and if they dont, they get what they get
But that one against the warriors was just a bridge too far, if you make it THAT obvious you should lose possession, But you cant allow some sort of grey area like this, that'll be a fiasco

I dont know if there is a good answer.

But on the topic, Elliott Whiteheads work last week in this realm was superb haha

nick87

Coach
Has to be changed during the week. Don't wait till the offseason, its not a rule that would affect how any team trains or plays. Just change it now and improve the game overnight.

To what though? That if a dummy half passes it into an offside player that's on him? That'll just encourage players to lay around in the ruck and obstruct the hooker purposely. You can be on all fours, being passive in the play and impede the hookers ability to throw the pass

So then you have to make it discressionary. Or reviewable. Which man... that just seems like another grey area that our officials will make a total f**king mess off.

I dont think the answer is as easy and simple as people think

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
if you're a tackler, get the f**k out of the ruck and it's not a problem..

it was never an issue for nearly 100 years of the game..

and then the storm came along and introduced wrestling..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
and then, of course, there's what happens when cam smith thorws his balls into the ruck...

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F05%2F07%2F09%2F50%2FLatimore_070518_env.jpg

Hutty1986

Immortal
Appalling that a scummy merkin fake tan gimp like him gets a benefit from genuine merkinry.

Epic thing of beauty that it backfired colossally as the stupid Mong dropped it under no pressure.

Eat a big bag of schlong you dirty dog.
Haha then Luke scores the matchwinner to boot. Just wish he'd done the Men In Black dance afterwards

Billythekid

First Grade
To what though? That if a dummy half passes it into an offside player that's on him? That'll just encourage players to lay around in the ruck and obstruct the hooker purposely. You can be on all fours, being passive in the play and impede the hookers ability to throw the pass

So then you have to make it discressionary. Or reviewable. Which man... that just seems like another grey area that our officials will make a total f**king mess off.

I'm not sure how you fix it and keep a black and white rule. I think the main thing I want is that if the defender is behind the play (like tonight's example) it should just be play on. If they're in front of, next to or lying in the ruck it should be fair game.

AJB1102

First Grade

Go with the "genuine attempt" shit like they do with tackling and making an attempt to use your arms and not all shoulder. Some will get through but at least blatant shit like Smith throwing into Luke laying flat on his back shouldn't. If the guy in the ruck is laying flat and you hit him from DH tough luck, you woulda knocked it on anyway if he wasn't there. If a bloke is running back through the ruck and gets hit its on him.

How ever the refs manage to f**k it up (and they will find a way now and then) it can't be a worse look than what we got tonight.

nick87

Coach
I'm not sure how you fix it and keep a black and white rule. I think the main thing I want is that if the defender is behind the play (like tonight's example) it should just be play on. If they're in front of, next to or lying in the ruck it should be fair game.
So you can be "behind the play" like tonight, but be on all fours with legs and arms flailing in "attempt to get to your feet" and its play on?
Na i dont like that. Sounds like an easy way to exploit shit. If you make a legs tackle and concede a quick PTB, just get in the way as a player behind the play the ball and stop promotion of the football.

nick87

Coach
Go with the "genuine attempt" shit like they do with tackling and making an attempt to use your arms and not all shoulder. Some will get through but at least blatant shit like Smith throwing into Luke laying flat on his back shouldn't. If the guy in the ruck is laying flat and you hit him from DH tough luck, you woulda knocked it on anyway if he wasn't there. If a bloke is running back through the ruck and gets hit its on him.

How ever the refs manage to f**k it up (and they will find a way now and then) it can't be a worse look than what we got tonight.

And that's probably the best method, and we just have to eat shit on the calls they f**k up. But tell that to Roosters/Tigers fan who get reamed on a Friday night because the officials give the Broncos a call in this area that wins them a game.

Yeah maybe your right, not a lot changes