What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throwing the ball at the player in the ruck

One Warrior

Bench
On the plus side, I think that one was ridiculous enough that it might force a rule change. We'll see.
I bloody hope so, he just dropped it on to Luke. Last week, just dropped on to Lino in the play the ball by the Roosters and Lino was injured, couldn't move, penalty awarded to the Roosters.

some11

Referee
Onus should be on the dummy half to get on with it, rule should be play on if a dummy half deliberately passes it into a player.

Would be hilarious if they did it and the opposition got the ball back.

moffla

Bench
if you're a tackler, get the f**k out of the ruck and it's not a problem..

it was never an issue for nearly 100 years of the game..

and then the storm came along and introduced wrestling..
Hahah knew some merkin would find a way to blame Storm for this

mave

Coach
Reward legs tackles by allowing more time for the tackler to clear the ruck/ get to marker.

We should have been encouraging legs tackling, not punishing it. Hard to hit a bloke in the head when you are aiming for his thighs.

AJB1102

First Grade
Reward legs tackles by allowing more time for the tackler to clear the ruck/ get to marker.

We should have been encouraging legs tackling, not punishing it. Hard to hit a bloke in the head when you are aiming for his thighs.

With Jurbo the best legs tackler in the game you would say that ya Manly scumbag.

haha nah agree 100% mate good legs tackles should be rewarded but have been shat on for years. The bloke should at least be given the same leeway as a 'dominant' tackle and have a bit of time to get to marker.

simmo05

Bench
With Jurbo the best legs tackler in the game you would say that ya Manly scumbag.

haha nah agree 100% mate good legs tackles should be rewarded but have been shat on for years. The bloke should at least be given the same leeway as a 'dominant' tackle and have a bit of time to get to marker.
Its weird how every other tackle in the game the refs counts to three before yelling move, yet in a quality legs tackle, the defender is expected to let go the instant the attacker hits the turf. Luke Brooks got penalised this year after tackling t-rex on his tryline in a great tackle. To me, cutting a bloke down who is 40gk heavier than you are, should be a dominant tackle, not a bloody penalty to the attacker.

no name

Coach
The Milf/Napa one was the worst I’ve seen.
Napa was actively attempting to get out of the way and Milf followed his direction and pegged it at him.
If Napa actually got out of the way, the ball would have went dead on the full.

Maximus

Coach
To what though? That if a dummy half passes it into an offside player that's on him? That'll just encourage players to lay around in the ruck and obstruct the hooker purposely. You can be on all fours, being passive in the play and impede the hookers ability to throw the pass

So then you have to make it discressionary. Or reviewable. Which man... that just seems like another grey area that our officials will make a total f**king mess off.

I dont think the answer is as easy and simple as people think

If the player is in the way in the ruck then yes sure, but when you are passing to an area where you have no teammates (ie. Milford passing it to the dead ball line), no penalty. Yes it requires a little bit of discretion, but if they stop getting penalties then they won't attempt the bullshit like Milford last night.

no name

Coach
Wasn't even the worst one yesterday:

Missed the early game.
That is f**king shit.
How f**king stupid are the refs to see however many we’ve seen this year and do nothing about it?
Sutton is a deadset genius.

JJ

Immortal
Smith probably did everyone a favour by omitting any acting

Still Luke was lying around, they need to get out of the ruck

MilkShark

First Grade
You can’t lie in the ruck and make no effort to get out. Smith can pass the ball where ever he likes, if it hits an offside defender than it’s a penalty.

johnny plath

Juniors
Wasn't even the worst one yesterday:

this one is extra f**ked because the ball clears the ruck then smith takes it back in there to pass it at luke. Its not hard to see a difference between a dummy half genuinely milking or a defender getting in the way. Is there some obscure rule the refs can call on like'spirit of the game' to penalise the DH in these situations.

Dav0c

Juniors
Smith probably did everyone a favour by omitting any acting

Still Luke was lying around, they need to get out of the ruck

He rolled away and lay flat on the ground. If he had tried to get up and move he would have been even more in the way.

JJ

Immortal
He rolled away and lay flat on the ground. If he had tried to get up and move he would have been even more in the way.
Yep - but what I mean is if on tackle 5 Smith or Luke pretends they're trying to clear the ball and falls down, or throws it in a more pass like manner but deliberately at the person in the ruck, people don't seem to get so upset - when it's equally deliberate.

I think Smith's brazen approach will force the refs etc to look at how they're policing it - but as someone pointed out, it's got a lot to do with the wrestle, and the way defences peel successive defenders off

Dav0c

Juniors
Yep - but what I mean is if on tackle 5 Smith or Luke pretends they're trying to clear the ball and falls down, or throws it in a more pass like manner but deliberately at the person in the ruck, people don't seem to get so upset - when it's equally deliberate.

I think Smith's brazen approach will force the refs etc to look at how they're policing it - but as someone pointed out, it's got a lot to do with the wrestle, and the way defences peel successive defenders off

Not sure about that. I've seen it discussed on here multiple times, this season especially. Even when the milking wasn't as obvious as this one.

Second part I agree with.

Reactions: JJ

Perth Red

Post Whore
Missed the early game.
That is f**king shit.
How f**king stupid are the refs to see however many we’ve seen this year and do nothing about it?
Sutton is a deadset genius.

Err the refs are calling the rules, do you want them to make up their own rules if they see things they don’t like? It’s up to the nrl to change the rule book not the refs lol

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
i have mixed views on it. I mean the onus should be on the defender clearing the ruck, and if they dont, they get what they get
But that one against the warriors was just a bridge too far, if you make it THAT obvious you should lose possession, But you cant allow some sort of grey area like this, that'll be a fiasco

I dont know if there is a good answer.

But on the topic, Elliott Whiteheads work last week in this realm was superb haha

The answer is easier- the pass has to be a genuine attempt to pass the ball to a teammate. If it hits a loitering defender then penalty as that defender is obstructing play But when it’s blindly obvious that there is no intention to pass to anyone and the ball is just being pegged at a defender who is attempting to lay prone and out of play to milk the penalty then the penalty should be reversed for milking.