What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thursday night games to return in 2018 despite underwhelming crowd figures in Sydney

big hit!

Bench
Thursday nights for the first month of the season while it's still daylight savings is ok. just piss it off for the rest of the season.

as i said before, build crowds, make games an event rather than just another game, and it looks great on tele and more folks watch. the NRL doesn't captivate any more folks than those who already watch it IMO.

obviously, commentators who death ride the game, the inconsistency of officiating and constant referrals to the bunker continue to take away from the product on tele as well.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Why is this even a topic? Surely Thursday night games are going to continue until at least the end of this TV deal? Was anyone seriously expecting them to go away?

M2D2

Bench
If they want to increase crowds yes, but we know they dont give a f**k and will obfuscate and spin as much as they can.

Incorrect

Coach
Round 7 2017, Newcastle Knights v Sydney Roosters at McDonald Jones Stadium was played on Friday 14 April 2017 according to the NRL's website. Friday 14 April 2017 was Good Friday. I don't know what calendar you are looking at mate but it most certainly was Good Friday here is exhibit A of my proof regarding Good Friday - https://www.nsw.gov.au/about-new-south-wales/public-holidays/
think maybe stallion is a Knights fan... and the Roosters beat his team that Friday night.... so for him, it was NOT a Good Friday......

Friday August 11 when they beat Parra 29-10.... now that was a Good Friday!!!!!!

Stallion

First Grade
My apologies! But i do think that the placement of the 6pm Friday game is crucial for its ability to draw a decent crowd. Regional and easy access venues like in Canberra and Newcastle are the better option.
Im completely in agreement the damage that Thursday night games are doing. Their should be free to air / simulcast tv coverage on at least one of the Saturday games. Disappointingly the FTA free kick to other codes just keeps happening on a Saturday!

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
6pm friday will never work for Syd/Bris. Needs to be Regional/NZ only.
But we will prob get more SFS/SCG matches next year. :|

Stallion

First Grade
think maybe stallion is a Knights fan... and the Roosters beat his team that Friday night.... so for him, it was NOT a Good Friday......

Friday August 11 when they beat Parra 29-10.... now that was a Good Friday!!!!!!

Lol. Im actually a Roosters fan and a past trialist for that club. Although my 2nd team is the Knights.:relaxed:

Latest posts