What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston may quit the NRL

Someone

Bench
Point proven. he is a average/good player. however, takes up 20 per cent of your salary and likes to drink. Also a real ass.

Someone

Bench
Neil Henry might have leave cowboys? If thurston wont go???

only speculating...like a journo would.

ramble_on

Juniors
Looking at the article there is no mention of Thurston actually saying he's considering going to Japan - let alone one quote directly from him. It also just says "Japanese Rugby" - there is no actual Japanese club mentioned.

F**king Weidler started this rumor. It's now gotten into overdrive.

Also agree with El Diablo, these journos need to f**k off.

i am a journo....

You can't blame the journalists. It's a relatively free press.

If anything worth a court case was printed then you can rest assured people would sue. There's money to be made.

The lack of action in this regard counts for something as well.

Take a look at the responses in this thread alone as to how journalism can be used to generate a story that wasn't there to begin with and then propagate it all within the bounds of the law. There are no grounds for anyone to sue but the inuendoes have been taken as gospel by the gullible and so the story will propagate all on it's own.....

isn't that right someone?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Please, he is not just a good player, he is a GREAT player.

Having said that, he's a sook and a grub and if he wants to go then bye-bye.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Point proven. he is a average/good player. however, takes up 20 per cent of your salary and likes to drink. Also a real ass.

Look I don't think he is worth 700k but then I can't think of any player who is right now. For the cows we need a centre who can tackle more than we need to retain thurston for the 2011 season. (we keep signing forwards for some f**king reason)

I don't know which halfbacks are off contract in 2011 but I think that 500k should be the maximum for any one player. If clubs out there feel comfortable paying a player 700k then fine but as much as I like thurston I just can't see (as you say someone) how one player is worth that much of the salary cap.

Would anyone else be comfortable with a player getting that much at their club ? If so which player is worth that much ?

Parra

Referee
Take away the false economy of the salary cap and it is obvious some individuals are worth more than they are getting.

Hence the interest in rugby.

matt

Juniors
If the bloke likes a drink,then he should look at Japan...Asashi is not a bad brew.

Seriously who would want to run around hiding your beer from trolls.

Ianc

Juniors
He likes a drink & wants some privacy...the prick. He can leave now!!!

Some of you people are gullible & naive. :roll:

Serc

First Grade
Someone I know up in Townsville has some very strong mail that Thurston is more or less gone already...I didn't have the balls to start a thread on it in here on Sat night :p but now I see this thread I can just put it in here without drawing too much attention to it hehehe

Sleep

Juniors
Not one direct quote from Thurston in the whole article, nor has he said anything to that effect at any point. :lol:

Good one guys. I met Thurston a few weeks back. Nice fellow.

DR.ZOIDBERG

Juniors
I hope Thurstan stays @ the cowboys or if not, does not leave the NRL and goes to a QLD Base team. Thats just my opinion

Firedrake

Coach
Rugby would seem the perfect fit for Thirsty. He wouldn't have to wait for 3 "special" games a year to kick players in the head. He can do it every week in ruggers.

Great talent, but hard to like.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
No player is bigger than the game. Time and time again players leave the NRL and the media act as though the sky is going to fall...

And guess what. The game goes on. More heroes are unearthed. We continue to support the game.

The guy is a genius on the field, but he's no bigger than anyone else in the game. If he wants to go he wont be missed too much.

Special K

Coach
When the salary cap was 3.5 mill we had players on 500k and given the cap has risen I don't see how Thurston getting a base of 700k is out of the question

davi

Juniors
Paul Green has already announced who he wants to replace Jonathan Thurston when he retires. His choice is interesting...........

"THE Titans are facing a battle to retain Kane Elgey, with the Cowboys eyeing the youngster as a playmaking successor to Johnathan Thurston.

North Queensland coach Paul Green revealed on Thursday Elgey was among a number of options in his succession plan to replace Thurston.

The Cowboys will get a first-hand glimpse of Elgey when the former Australian Schoolboys star confronts Thurston Saturday night at Cbus Super Stadium.

Four-time Dally M winner Thurston has not ruled out extending his career until 2019, but the Cowboys are bracing for Thurston to retire at the end of next season.

That is when Elgey comes off contract at the Titans, giving the Cowboys the opportunity to make a formal play for the Gold Coast junior.

Green is weighing up a number of playmaking permutations, including promoting young talent from within the club, and said he was monitoring Elgey’s progress.

“JT is getting closer to the end,” Green said. “We need to have a serious look at whether we look to promote from within or whether we go to the market to buy someone.

“If you look at the market, Kane Elgey is off contract at the same time (as Thurston’s planned retirement), so that would work in well.

“Elgey is a guy we would have a look at. He will be one of several young halves we could look at, I suppose.

“He has a left-foot kick, which is good, but we have Lachlan Coote who can play that role for us already.

“If we promote from within, we’re not going to find a guy that is going to fill JT’s boots straight away. Well, we won’t fill his boots regardless of what we do, but it’s probably a longer-term strategy to promote from within.

“Kyle Laybutt is at our club and Jake Clifford is in the under-20s. We have a few guys in our system who are coming through, so I’ll be watching how they develop in the next 12 months.’’

Elgey, 23, has a decade of NRL in front of him and could forge a handy scrumbase alliance with Cowboys pivot Michael Morgan, who plays on the right side."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/62d18d96d532a7ccab756c9f91d6f66c

Latest posts