What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston may quit the NRL

AJB1102

First Grade
Blessing for the league, Queensland, Cowboys and everyone who is a fan of league. The most overrated chump of them all is possibly leaving. Hopefully the door doesn't hit him on the way out.

How about this gem?

The username is good for a laugh at the moment too.

Hawkins

Juniors
It all still feels very current to me, I'm thinking sure I guess he dislikes Neil Henry everyone else does.

Wizardman

First Grade
It is good to see the career of Thurston's flourish the way it has. It has done a lot of good for the game. However, I do remember hearing about some things that clouded his early days at the bulldogs.

Charlie124

First Grade
It is good to see the career of Thurston's flourish the way it has. It has done a lot of good for the game. However, I do remember hearing about some things that clouded his early days at the bulldogs.
yep... everyone knows a guy who heard a rumour from a guy who was there... well, not THERE but near there.

heard it all before.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Paul Green has already announced who he wants to replace Jonathan Thurston when he retires. His choice is interesting...........

"THE Titans are facing a battle to retain Kane Elgey, with the Cowboys eyeing the youngster as a playmaking successor to Johnathan Thurston.

North Queensland coach Paul Green revealed on Thursday Elgey was among a number of options in his succession plan to replace Thurston.

The Cowboys will get a first-hand glimpse of Elgey when the former Australian Schoolboys star confronts Thurston Saturday night at Cbus Super Stadium.

Four-time Dally M winner Thurston has not ruled out extending his career until 2019, but the Cowboys are bracing for Thurston to retire at the end of next season.

That is when Elgey comes off contract at the Titans, giving the Cowboys the opportunity to make a formal play for the Gold Coast junior.

Green is weighing up a number of playmaking permutations, including promoting young talent from within the club, and said he was monitoring Elgey’s progress.

“JT is getting closer to the end,” Green said. “We need to have a serious look at whether we look to promote from within or whether we go to the market to buy someone.

“If you look at the market, Kane Elgey is off contract at the same time (as Thurston’s planned retirement), so that would work in well.

“Elgey is a guy we would have a look at. He will be one of several young halves we could look at, I suppose.

“He has a left-foot kick, which is good, but we have Lachlan Coote who can play that role for us already.

“If we promote from within, we’re not going to find a guy that is going to fill JT’s boots straight away. Well, we won’t fill his boots regardless of what we do, but it’s probably a longer-term strategy to promote from within.

“Kyle Laybutt is at our club and Jake Clifford is in the under-20s. We have a few guys in our system who are coming through, so I’ll be watching how they develop in the next 12 months.’’

Elgey, 23, has a decade of NRL in front of him and could forge a handy scrumbase alliance with Cowboys pivot Michael Morgan, who plays on the right side."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/62d18d96d532a7ccab756c9f91d6f66c

Remember all the screeching from Cowboys fans when the donkeys took Scott Prince?

p.s. I miss Gaba. The downside of winning the comp. :(

Canard

Immortal
One thing this thread has proven, beyond doubt, is that Peter Badel is the biggest bullshit artist going around.

Latest posts