What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers on the Hunt for New Coach.

Tiger05

First Grade
Coaching has a lot to do with who's available. Really apart from say your Bennetts, Bellamys guys will take what they can get. There are only 16 spots available in the game. If a coach passes up an opportunity it might be 2-3 years before they get another chance, or maybe never.

I agree. There is always this drama about who would come to us. Basically any coach without a gig now would be there in a second and you could underpay them as well.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I agree. There is always this drama about who would come to us. Basically any coach without a gig now would be there in a second and you could underpay them as well.
No doubt we r in a favourable position as there r a number of very good coaching candidates.

However r we smart enough to make the most beneficial appointment for this club to succeed & regain self -respect.Based on a recent history of disastrous decisions with horrendous repercussions I really don't think so ! But by god do I hope these boofheads on the board & Pascoe prove me very wrong !!

Tiger Ted

Bench

Tigerm

First Grade
Coaching has a lot to do with who's available. Really apart from say your Bennetts, Bellamys guys will take what they can get. There are only 16 spots available in the game. If a coach passes up an opportunity it might be 2-3 years before they get another chance, or maybe never.
Agree, any coach wants part of the big game. Big opportunity to make or improve your reputation.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daley is not a coaches arsehole.

Toovey is allegedly on the shortlist. Send him a blank cheque and ask him how he would like his office. Don't even wait on it. If he's available, pounce as quickly as possible.

Shredder

Juniors
Daley is still NSW origin coach yeah?

Its policy for him not to be a club coach. Thats a firm policy and why Stewart left when he joined the Eels.

Press are just looking to sell papers.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toovey could well be a chance. He has yet to join Bradford as he has been experiencing delays getting his work Visa processed. Meanwhile, Bradford's interim coach has been doing a pretty good job.

There's every chance Toovey could abandon the UK Move and accept an NRL gig.

I've not heard anything (Don't even think he's been formally approached yet), so just rumour etc at this stage.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would love Des to come here, but I think his price and our shyte training facilities make that unlikely....

Tooves would be my next choice... Has a good record and is a tough little so and so...

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Des had terrible facilities at Manly, but obviously some of the best in the league at the Dogs. So would he be willing to come to us?????? For the right dollars & if the board agrees to give him complete autonomy you would have to say yes. Everyone wants a challenge in their job & I would imagine the challenge of turning around a clubs fortunes is what makes a good coach tick. The million dollar question ( i'd guess that would be at least what we would have to pay him) is do we have the funds available? I don't think we can afford not to, if we become a club that consistently makes the 8 obviously it's a great investment.

The other two coaches would obviously be Cleary or Toovey. Toovey we know won't accept mediocrity but is he able to rebuild a club? He took over a Manly outfit from Hasler that had an aging & overpaid roster. He cleaned out players but was obviously sacked before he could finish what he started. So it's a question mark but definitely a coach I'd be happy for the board to take a punt on.
Cleary IMO has the runs on the board, he took the Warriors who we all know are consistent under achievers to a grand final in all 3 grades. Then went on to Penrith & rebuilt the club with Gould, also sacked before he could reap the benefits of what he sowed after a poor season with injuries etc. I've read Panthers fans thought his injury management was poor. Also another coach I'd be happy for the club to sign.

So if I was on the board, I'd be going all out to try & lure Hasler to the club. The dogs will probably release him early if he signed with us but if not he can obviously manage our roster while Webster coaches the team. The only other two coaches we could possibly consider are Cleary & Toovey. I'd be over the moon if we signed Hasler, but also quite satisfied with either Toovey or Cleary. We need an experienced NRL coach with runs on the board, we are not in the position to take a punt on an inexperienced coach.

Shredder

Juniors
Des is also coming off problems with his current board, so our board would have to be a big cross against the pros and cons.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Des is also coming off problems with his current board, so our board would have to be a big cross against the pros and cons.
The dogs board has alpha males who r headstrong whereas we have vacuous juveniles who r rugby illiterates.Our board would pander to Des which will benefit us as u want someone with Des's rugby league savvy & experience & exemplary record to have total autonomy as he can certainly fix this train wreck as it currently stands .

BrotherJim05

Bench
In order of who I want as coach:
1. Hasler
2. Cleary
3. Toovey

Would be very happy with any of these three as they are all proven. Hasler and Toovey will light a fire under our players asses but Cleary knows how to work with young players.

I just want this sorted out asap as we should be using this year for the new coach to get a feel of the club and use 2018 to rebuild

magpie guy

Juniors
In order of who I want as coach:
1. Hasler
2. Cleary
3. Toovey

Would be very happy with any of these three as they are all proven. Hasler and Toovey will light a fire under our players asses but Cleary knows how to work with young players.

I just want this sorted out asap as we should be using this year for the new coach to get a feel of the club and use 2018 to rebuild

Not sure what Folkes is doing but I would be happy with him as well, possibly over Toovey.