What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans bid to land Bird

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Titans bid to land Bird

Luke Turgeon | November 23rd, 2009

The highly regarded captain of Tweed Heads Seagulls Brad Davis has been cut loose by the Gold Coast Titans

THE Gold Coast Titans have cut playmaker Brad Davis loose for next season in what could be seen as a move to free up funds for the arrival of controversial former Cronulla Sharks pivot Greg Bird.

The Titans have made no secret of the fact they want Bird on their books for 2010, pending a favourable outcome when he fronts the NSW District Court today and tomorrow to learn the fate of his appeal against an eight-month jail sentence for recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.

Davis has been contracted to the Titans for the past two seasons, playing six games in 2008 and providing the Coast with depth in the halves.

The highly regarded captain of Titans feeder club Tweed Heads Seagulls said yesterday he was disappointed and would embark on a teaching career while continuing to play in the Queensland Cup.

"To tell you the truth the only sort of communication I got was through my manager," said 27-year-old Davis.

"There wasn't any sit down and discuss it sort of thing.

"I just think there was no money left for me in the cap but I got no real explanation as to why not or what their plans are.

"It is a bit disappointing but there is not much you can do about it."

The decision not to re-sign Davis also coincides with the Gold Coast moving teenage playmaker Jordan Rankin through the ranks.

Heading into his third season of Toyota Cup, the Titans will be looking for Rankin -- who famously became the youngest halfback to make his NRL debut in history last year -- to step up and take on more responsibility.

The 17-year-old will train with the Gold Coast's first grade squad throughout the pre-season alongside Australian schoolboys teammate Ryan James and fellow under-20s players Leon Taylor and Dom Walsh.

The Titans will report back for pre-season training today at the club's new multi-million dollar home base at Robina.

Despite offers from rival Queensland Cup clubs, Davis has decided to remain with Tweed Heads, helping incoming coaches Ben Anderson and Matt Geyer rebuild the team.

"I did come close to moving on," said the Queensland Residents skipper.

"It was a tough decision in the end because I did get quite a lot of interest from other Queensland Cup clubs.

"It came down to playing with a good bunch of fellas down at Tweed.

"But you never know, I have just got to keep playing good footy at Queensland Cup level and we will see what happens."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/11/23/161551_gold-coast-titans.html

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Greg Bird I would've thought didn't fit in to Searle's plan for signing the player firstly on him as a person, and then him as a player (or something to that effect). He preached that as they were entering the competition. Greg Bird is a grub and I would've hoped we'd never see him in our competition again to be honest.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I thought so too

Cool. So I wasn't imagining it.

"Horses for courses" policy would seem to be more appropriate. It was a stupid statement to begin with Searle and one that would bite him in the ass eventually (although the same may have been said for Chris Walker before he turned around his life and career).

Titanic

First Grade
Hardly surprising in the world of "CEO Speak"

I reckon the more poignant question is: where are all the up & coming 5/8's? Then fools like Bird could be really dumped and forgotten.

Last edited:

boltsy

Juniors
Cool. So I wasn't imagining it.

"Horses for courses" policy would seem to be more appropriate. It was a stupid statement to begin with Searle and one that would bite him in the ass eventually (although the same may have been said for Chris Walker before he turned around his life and career).

I agree as well. I came here specifically to see if other "posters" had similar recollection of Searle's earlier comments.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
He will be a Titan.

He is a good player.

Will compliment Prince well.

1. Preston
2. Mead
3. Gordon
4. Rogers
5. Zillman
6. Bird
7. Prince

Possibly play him @ lock.

Talanexor

Juniors
Bird is a ball-playing lock - when he's not bashing his girlfriend or stabbing broken glass into her eyes - he ain't a five-eighth.

I really hope you guys get him. I just read a horrible article that the Cowboys are interested too. Do NOT want to see him wearing a Cowboys jersey, now or ever.

And I can't see him offering anything that Ashley Harrison doesn't already offer. You don't need him.

How about we swap you Rovelli for Esi Tonga? Rovelli actually goes alright, as long as he doesn't have to call plays or steer the team around the field. And you have speedy young outside backs coming out your ears.

You don't need Bird. No one does. Let him stay in Europe - I don't want him in the same hemisphere as my team.

Titanic

First Grade
1. Zillman
2. Mead
3. Gordon
4. Rogers
5. Tomane
6. Campbell
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Meyers
12. Tagataese
13. Harrison

14. Minichiello
15. Cannings
16. Laffranchi
17. White
18. O'Dwyer
19. Tonga
20. Matthews

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
And I can't see him offering anything that Ashley Harrison doesn't already offer. You don't need him.
You are kidding. Ash is a very different type of player.

Think of Bird as a person what you will.

But he is nothing like Harrison at all.

Titanic

First Grade
You are kidding. Ash is a very different type of player. Think of Bird as a person what you will. But he is nothing like Harrison at all.

ditto

I think what says it all is his time at Hunter Sports High - as a sober young man he was school captain and a role model for other kids, but in five drunken minutes he nearly got expelled and left in disgrace.

past is the past but is also a reasonable indicator given recent events

Last edited:

Paulie Jay

Juniors
Ugh - Greg Bird. I never thought that I'd see the day when I would turn up to a game an boo a player from my team. But I will, and unashamedly so.

StinkyPete

Juniors
Gold Coast Titans to land Greg Bird ahead of North Queensland Cowboys

FAMILY ties on the Gold Coast are likely to lead Greg Bird to shun a lucrative late bid from North Queensland and relaunch his NRL career with the Titans next season.

While the Titans' initial offer will be a one-year deal worth in the vicinity of $100,000, he stands to earn a significant upgrade in future seasons should he prove himself both on and off the field.

The Cowboys, who recently released five-eighth Travis Burns to Penrith, have up to $200,000 to splash on Bird, but the Titans appear to be the frontrunners, with the former Origin and Test five-eighth having spent significant time on the Coast as he prepared an appeal against a serious assault conviction and the prospect of an eight-month jail term.

Bird yesterday walked free from a Sydney court after a judge quashed his conviction for glassing girlfriend Katie Milligan. She suffered a broken eye socket and cuts to her eye during an altercation at Bird's flat in August last year. Judge Michael Finnane believed the evidence of Bird and Milligan that her injury was an accident.

Titans CEO Michael Searle confirmed his club was likely to table a formal offer to Bird, possibly by the end of the week.

"From the initial feedback we've had from staff and senior players we are likely to express an interest," Searle said.

"But we'll need to catch up with Greg and Katie, have a chat to them and also have a look over the court material. We'll then have a chat to (NRL boss) David Gallop and move from there.

"We don't have a lot of money to spend, but if he is looking for an opportunity then we can provide that. From the preliminary talks we've had with his manager it is clear he wants to get back in the NRL.

"There may be clubs out there with more room to move in the salary cap, and that's the risk we run. But that's the way it is."

Bird and Milligan were spotted on the Coast last week, and his Gold Coast-based lawyer Chris Nyst last night indicated the former Shark was bound for Skilled Park.

Nyst, who is believed to have picked up Bird as a client as a result of his close links to the Titans, said while he could not speak for the club, the court victory was a "win-win".

"From a lawyer's point of view, I'm very pleased for a young man who I think didn't deserved to be in the position he was," he said.

"As a Titans fan, I'm elated."

Nyst said the glassing charge against Bird arose because of "a comedy of errors that resulted in a travesty of justice".

Cowboys executive director Peter Parr said the club was in a position to offer Bird a contract but talks were preliminary.

you guys can have him.

Talanexor

Juniors
You are kidding. Ash is a very different type of player.

Think of Bird as a person what you will.

But he is nothing like Harrison at all.

I know he's a different TYPE of player, my point was that he doesn't bring anything to your team you don't already have. Just like if you signed Lockyer. Talented player, but would he turn your team into world beaters? probably not. You've got enough creativity in the halves.

Bird is a ball-playing lock - he doesn't have a kicking game or any creativity whatsoever. And as a backrower he's not going to add much apart from offloads, which isn't what you're missing at the moment.

Coaster

Bench
Forget for a second the assault if you can, why bring in one of the most hated personalities in Qld to a team looking for Queensland support? In such a tight market with a war being waged with us from all sides, including AFL Soccer Broncos ect, why give them ammunition?

Any Queensland supporter who was slowly drifting over to the Titans support base will be gone, any casual supporter who doesnt know much about league or Bird will be swayed by negative press, and it doesnt matter if he did it or not, perception will be the key.

In classic Game theory, it is a bad move. The only positive result would be a premiership, and i am not sold that he will be the difference between getting one or not.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Forget for a second the assault if you can, why bring in one of the most hated personalities in Qld to a team looking for Queensland support? In such a tight market with a war being waged with us from all sides, including AFL Soccer Broncos ect, why give them ammunition?

Any Queensland supporter who was slowly drifting over to the Titans support base will be gone, any casual supporter who doesnt know much about league or Bird will be swayed by negative press, and it doesnt matter if he did it or not, perception will be the key.

In classic Game theory, it is a bad move. The only positive result would be a premiership, and i am not sold that he will be the difference between getting one or not.

Excellent, excellent post.

If I were a member of the Gold Coast Titans, I would be petitioning the club to move against this possible signing. If they're looking at it as a move that would be the "missing link" in Premiership glory, they are IMO are way off. Bird isn't a difference maker with that type of impact on a team.

The risk far outweighs the award on and off the field.

Latest posts