What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans finally sold by the NRL

They are the club that has gone from problem child to feelgood story of the season but NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the search for a new owner for the Gold Coast Titans won't be explored until 2017.

Greenberg was on the Gold Coast on Tuesday night to address 100 current and potential corporate sponsors and with the NRL in a far more powerful position to negotiate with possible suitors interested in investing in the club.

The addition of superstar Jarryd Hayne and last week's five-year sponsorship extension of the Titans' major partner, Aquis, demonstrates just how much faith there is in the future of the club both inside and outside the Gold Coast.

It was just 18 months ago that the NRL was required to step in and assume ownership of a club that was in a perilous financial position but despite the dramatic turnaround Greenberg said that there would be no quick sale in order to capitalise on recent positive publicity.

"Our first priority at the moment is the Knights and we're in the middle of figuring out the best ownership model and then into 2017 will be when we really get into the grunt of figuring out what the ownership model of the Titans will look like," Greenberg said after his arrival on the Gold Coast.

"We've been clear from the outset, our two clubs – being the Knights and the Titans – that we're not long-term owners of clubs but we also want to ensure that when we do pass them back to a different ownership model that they are in good shape.

"There are no discussions taking place yet. Clearly the club is in much better shape and will continue to be in good shape for us to be able to transition that in 2017.

"We need to learn from the issues of the past, about what happened in Newcastle, and making sure that the ownership structure is very solid for the long term. That primarily goes to the structure of the ownership.

"They're all the things we will confront next year."

ad

In terms of the model that the ownership structure will look like moving forward Greenberg said that the Gold Coast community "will have access to their team" and that they will have some equity in their team.

Given the failure of the previous private ownership structure at the Knights the model that is rolled out at Newcastle could provide an indicator to which way the NRL will favour when it comes to the Titans' future, but CEO Graham Annesley welcomed community involvement in the new ownership structure.

"I think that's great news for the Gold Coast as a city and as a region, that the NRL is obviously very keen to make sure that the community is the beneficiary of any ownership change," Annesley told NRL.com.

"We've always been very comfortable with the information that's been flowing back to us from the NRL about their process and they've made it very clear that they want to deal with clubs one at a time.

"The people who I know are interested locally, they're very well informed about the process and it's entirely in the NRL's hands."

Twelve months ago then NRL CEO Dave Smith made the same presentation to potential corporate supporters on the Gold Coast with the club very much trying to re-establish their relevance and connection with the local community.

Under the guidance of Annesley, chair Rebecca Frizelle and with the team itself on the verge of finals football for the first time in six years, Greenberg said the NRL was very pleased with the progress that had been made in a relatively short space of time.

"The messages that I'm receiving are around the positivity of this region," Greenberg said.

"You can see that demonstrated in the crowds but you can also see that demonstrated by the way the players are speaking away from the field as well.

"They've had a great season in the way they've demonstrated a change in their management at the very top with people like Graham and Rebecca but also the coaches deserve great credit as well.

"We're very pleased with where we're at here on the Gold Coast."

http://www.nrl.com/greenberg-titans-are-not-for-sale-yet/tabid/10874/newsid/100562/default.aspx

Paullyboy

Coach
You can't start people just because they are a "club legend" (not sure I'd go that far personally) in a game that is absolutely crucial to their chances of making the finals.

Hawkins

Juniors
I remember when the Gold Coast were the Seagulls. This is the most interesting thing I remember about them. Oh and Wally Lewis but I'm from NSW so I don't understand Wally Lewis.

TheFrog

Coach
Then they unceremoniously dump club legend mead from fg. Guess they don't want him.
Reminds me of Ron Willey dropping Chris Mortimer to the bench in favour of a 17 year old Brad Fittler for a semi final in 1989. It was a panic move and the side was duly beaten.

Hawkins

Juniors
Reminds me of Ron Willey dropping Chris Mortimer to the bench in favour of a 17 year old Brad Fittler for a semi final in 1989. It was a panic move and the side was duly beaten.

When Fittler played for Penrith. I remember that.

T-Boon

Coach
They need to be careful that the AFL don't buy the Titans. The AFL are clever and would do that to bury their opposition.

TheFrog

Coach
There is certainly the potential for unethical behaviour in all of this. Look at the scenario. Governing body takes over basket case club, arranges and rubber stamps three mid-season marquee transfers to the club, the last of them one J Hayne under unprecedented circumstances (ie after the previously sacrosanct cut off date). The governing body have the werewithal to ensure the side make the finals, although it must be said so far there's no suggestion of impropriety in match officiating involving them. The Hayne signing results in a significant crowd boost, increasing the saleability of the club immensely. Now they will sell them next year no doubt at a handsome profit. Then they'll do the same with the Knights.

I just wonder if corporate watchdogs (ACCC?) are keeping a keen eye on events. It has a bit of Dick Smith about it. The NRL need to be extremely careful IMO.

Dogs Of War

Coach
There is certainly the potential for unethical behaviour in all of this. Look at the scenario. Governing body takes over basket case club, arranges and rubber stamps three mid-season marquee transfers to the club, the last of them one J Hayne under unprecedented circumstances (ie after the previously sacrosanct cut off date). The governing body have the werewithal to ensure the side make the finals, although it must be said so far there's no suggestion of impropriety in match officiating involving them. The Hayne signing results in a significant crowd boost, increasing the saleability of the club immensely. Now they will sell them next year no doubt at a handsome profit. Then they'll do the same with the Knights.

I just wonder if corporate watchdogs (ACCC?) are keeping a keen eye on events. It has a bit of Dick Smith about it. The NRL need to be extremely careful IMO.

What amazing player could they possibly lure to the Knights that would suddenly turn there fortunes around?

Benji Marshall :eek:

TheFrog

Coach
What amazing player could they possibly lure to the Knights that would suddenly turn there fortunes around?
I think the Knights are far more saleable than the Titans as they are, on account of the crowds they pull at home even when getting flogged every week, and the nature of the area they represent. It is noted that they seem able to play every home game in a favourable timeslot, a concession not available to most other clubs. Little things like this....

What also needs to be remembered is that the Knights are not natural wooden spooners. It is only a matter of time before the next superstar develops in their catchment.

If Rupert Murdoch had a sense of humour he could buy the Knights and rename them the Hunter Mariners.

Paullyboy

Coach
Hooker is the most important position in modern day rugby league, not a half. They organise the forward pack, turning nuffies into much better players and the really good ones have a dominant kicking game or playmaking abilities on top of that. Look at the top 3 teams:

Melbourne - Cameron Smith (a very strong argument could be made that he's the best hooker in the history of the game)
Sharks - Mick Ennis (I hate the bloke with a passion, but he's a quality player and played a key role in getting them to where they are)
Raiders - Josh Hodgson (A genuine chance of taking out the Dally M this year and has been a superstar all year)

With this in mind, I wouldn't be chasing a player like Moylan, I don't think he'd make a big enough difference. They need a superstar hooker.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Titans are my 2nd fav team in the comp. Hope they win it this year.

That would well and truely bury the suns and put increasing pressure on the AFL in Queensland as a whole. The Queensland expansion is costing the AFL a mint and at some point it will be asked are we better to cut our losses.

Hawkins

Juniors
That would well and truely bury the suns and put increasing pressure on the AFL in Queensland as a whole. The Queensland expansion is costing the AFL a mint and at some point it will be asked are we better to cut our losses.

So I have to like the Titans if I dislike the AFL.

That is a tough decision but I'll take it... next year cause I don't forgive them for the late arrival of the Hayne Payne in 2016.

PaulyTom

Juniors
AFL is in a deep crisis in Queensland.

• 2 losing teams that are not even competitive
  • Lack of quality players in Queensland.
  • Retention of quality draft players
  • Financial instability at both the suns and lions
  • Coaching instability
And that's to name a few

axl rose

Bench
AFL is in a deep crisis in Queensland.

• 2 losing teams that are not even competitive
  • Lack of quality players in Queensland.
  • Retention of quality draft players
  • Financial instability at both the suns and lions
  • Coaching instability
And that's to name a few

Time for some more 1 mil + per year cap concessions.

Latest posts