What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg Appointed NRL CEO

Who Should Be The Next NRL CEO

• Todd Greenberg

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Shane Richardson

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Phil Gould

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • John Grant

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Andrew Demetriou

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • John Quayle

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Somebody Else.....Post Who

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
News ltd do love Toddy!

THE NRL is saving almost $5 million-a-year on executive salaries since the departure of former CEO Dave Smith and many of his senior appointments.
The money is being ploughed back into grassroots football and other areas of the game following several years of exorbitant spending on wages and expenses on hire cars, business-class travel and long, lavish lunches.
Michael Brown’s departure last week as chief commercial officer and CEO of the World Cup saves another $600,000 and brings the total wage reduction figure up to $4.75 million.
He follows Suzanne Young, Shane Richardson, Lewis Pullen, Sandy Olsen and Smith out the door — all appointments under Smith in his time in the chair.
Not one of them have been replaced.
Further money is being saved by the fact Smith’s replacement Todd Greenberg is being paid $500,000 less than his predecessor.
Even Brown’s job will stay in house with Andrew Abdo, who is already employed as Head of Commercial, stepping up a position.
Greenberg said it was always his intention to slash costs from the start.
“I made it clear when I was appointed that some senior people who left the business would not be replaced,” he said.
“My view is we have the expertise we need within the current team to do the job.
“The more we can save in salaries the more we can put into other areas of the game, including the clubs, grassroots, the women’s game and juniors.”
The only major appointment since Greenberg took the helm was the employment of experienced Titans football manager Brian Canavan to the role as Head of Football.
The cost cutting could not have come at a better time for the NRL.
The 16 clubs and their chairman have been complaining for years about the financial wastage at headquarters and it is one of the reasons why they have refused to sign new participation agreements.
Shane Richardson was on $600,000-a-year and spent 12 months working on a strategic plan for the competition that has now been torn up and rejected by the clubs.
His move to cut Holden Cup and reduce the age limit for NRL have already been overturned.
Greenberg now runs the business without a chief operating officer since Suzanne Young left.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/4bb874bfdf1aa4ffb1c4776ae513116d

Glen

Bench
News ltd do love Toddy!

THE NRL is saving almost $5 million-a-year on executive salaries since the departure of former CEO Dave Smith and many of his senior appointments.
The money is being ploughed back into grassroots football and other areas of the game following several years of exorbitant spending on wages and expenses on hire cars, business-class travel and long, lavish lunches.
Michael Brown’s departure last week as chief commercial officer and CEO of the World Cup saves another $600,000 and brings the total wage reduction figure up to $4.75 million.
He follows Suzanne Young, Shane Richardson, Lewis Pullen, Sandy Olsen and Smith out the door — all appointments under Smith in his time in the chair.
Further money is being saved by the fact Smith’s replacement Todd Greenberg is being paid $500,000 less than his predecessor.
Even Brown’s job will stay in house with Andrew Abdo, who is already employed as Head of Commercial, stepping up a position.
“I made it clear when I was appointed that some senior people who left the business would not be replaced,” he said.
“My view is we have the expertise we need within the current team to do the job.
“The more we can save in salaries the more we can put into other areas of the game, including the clubs, grassroots, the women’s game and juniors.”
The only major appointment since Greenberg took the helm was the employment of experienced Titans football manager Brian Canavan to the role as Head of Football.
The 16 clubs and their chairman have been complaining for years about the financial wastage at headquarters and it is one of the reasons why they have refused to sign new participation agreements.
Shane Richardson was on $600,000-a-year and spent 12 months working on a strategic plan for the competition that has now been torn up and rejected by the clubs.
His move to cut Holden Cup and reduce the age limit for NRL have already been overturned.
Greenberg now runs the business without a chief operating officer since Suzanne Young left.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/4bb874bfdf1aa4ffb1c4776ae513116d
They probably have an agreed schedule of positive articles for the next 12-18 months with the topics all pre-determined

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im not going to pretend to know what the deal is with Doust (though i will say it is funny that the ARLC chose not to plant Independent Directors on the Dragons board like they did with Newwy, Tits and Tigs).

I think the thing to remember is that, in sport, you can never really get a clear indication of success or failure by a board/CEO. On-field success can cover all of the terrible work and on-field failure can really drive a sense of pessimism.

I just wonder if this campaign would be going if they were in the top 4...

no name

Coach
News ltd do love Toddy!

So Smith hired himself?
How do these dopes get a gig?

Saint Doc

Coach
Im not going to pretend to know what the deal is with Doust (though i will say it is funny that the ARLC chose not to plant Independent Directors on the Dragons board like they did with Newwy, Tits and Tigs).

I think the thing to remember is that, in sport, you can never really get a clear indication of success or failure by a board/CEO. On-field success can cover all of the terrible work and on-field failure can really drive a sense of pessimism.

I just wonder if this campaign would be going if they were in the top 4...

With saints, the on field success covered a massive problem.

Since the start of the joint venture, we were told we would become a "super club", challenging the likes of Brisbane, constantly challenging for the premiership, due to all the local juniors of the Illawarra combining with the successful St George Leagues + history of St George. The things that were not negotiable were the St George name, jersey and logo.

Well, other than the Bennett aberration of 2009/10, let's look at how this has worked out:
- currently $7million in debt, beholden to the NRL as our financiers
- playing at 5 home grounds purely to try and repay debt to NRL
- membership steadily falling whilst the rest of the league grows
- home crowds falling, and even the crowds we do get being boosted by "away fans" as we take our games to their home ground (dogs, roosters, tigers)
- other than Bennett a culture of constantly employing "the boys"...from sacking Waite for FARRAR, then rookie brown, rookie Steve price, rookie McGregor. Assistant coaches Craig young, Dean young, Ben Hornby et al. Outside influences such as Peter Mulhollnd, Justin Holbrook constantly shown the door. Demetriou currently being set up as the next "outsider" fall guy
- local juniors such as Brett Morris, Jodh Morris, Trent Merrin, Jack Bird, BJ Leilua et al carve up for other teams
- a board compromised of 1990's leagues club administrators, who have no business sense, and who represent licensed clubs who can no longer afford to financially contribute to the club, running the club!! How does that make sense?
- a complicated system whereby leagues club members (not red v members) vote for board members (once they've been a LC member for 3 years) who then in turn vote themselves on to the Jv board, meaning fans and red v members have no power by which to vote for change
- due to these old men with no business connections sitting on the board, we have no TPAs, which means we can't compete on the recruitment market, meaning the only players we get are guys who are mid season signings with nowhere else to go (Dugan, Benji).

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Just listened to Bernie Gurr on Sterlo's show.

What a thoroughly impressive and genuine man and leader.

Intelligence. Integrity. Vision. All qualities our current CEO lacks.

My Kingdom for Bernie Gurr to be NRL CEO over the filthy snake oil salesman Greenberg.

Well said TS. Still hate that he's not back home at Easts at the very least.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep he sounded very impressive. Just what parra needed, finally some decent management and new stadium on horizon they could be the next big club to rival storm, Souths and broncos.

Greenburg never impresses when you see him interviewed. He was on tonight on nrl.com

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Just listened to Bernie Gurr on Sterlo's show.

What a thoroughly impressive and genuine man and leader.

Intelligence. Integrity. Vision. All qualities our current CEO lacks.

My Kingdom for Bernie Gurr to be NRL CEO over the filthy snake oil salesman Greenberg.

He was actually really impressive...

Not only was he trying to answer the questions directly, he was going beyond that to give MORE info. (that was the thing that made me like DSmith)

Half of it is the intellegence of the interviewer though. Sterlo goes well, Someone like Slothfield is pure gutter....

taipan

Referee
I think he would be next in line to run the NRL show, should Greenberg call it a day and honestly he(Greenberg) would or should give himself 5 years max.
Gurr has always been impressive as a businessman and one who loves the game with an achievable vision. Attributes necessary to grow the game amidst strong competition.
A leader needs to project himself as one with authority, and knowledge.

POPEYE

Coach
Gurr with the knowledge and Campbell with the expertise are the types RL need . . . fortune hunters are a dime a dozen

betcats

Referee
The fact that Greenberg is a f**king scumbag doesn't make Smiths time iin charge any better, Smith was a moron. All these extra appointments and increased operating expenses at NRLHQ were questioned by the clubs, nothing changed except we had a lot more money to spend so Dave did his best to spend it. Hired a bunch of people and the quality or quantity of the product didn't change, in fact you can argue the quality got worse with all the ridiculous rule changes. Smith got played by Shane Richardson ffs, he was an idiot. This muppet head of the ARLC needs to go, he has given us two complete duds so far.

Last edited: