What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has got to go!

Are you happy with Greenberg's performance as CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 86 85.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Stallion

First Grade
Youve convinved me. We should bring back the Bears...

And all of the BRL teams too, AND the local Illawarra teams AND the local Newcastle teams. 50 team comp because apparently every street needs ts own team....

Typical from a dude whom doesn't understand cultural and historical significance!
And its importance to the game of rugby league.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Typical from a dude whom doesn't understand cultural and historical significance!
And its importance to the game of rugby league.

Sure but you still havent explained why the local teams in the BRL and the local Illawarra/Newcastle/Canberra comps were any less significant.

How did the game ever survive rationalising those markets in one team towns?

Stallion

First Grade
Sure but you still havent explained why the local teams in the BRL and the local Illawarra/Newcastle/Canberra comps were any less significant.

The explanation is the massive boost in tv exposure the Sydney rugby league received in the 70s. This jettisoned rugby league into the eye of the public around Australia like no other time. This exposure made Sydney clubs become household names! Vastly different from a locally televised league. That's your answer.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Wow....

Who would have thought that a thread created to criticise Greenberg would have given a platform to the same 4-5 Sydney haters to relaunch their repetitive crusade for the 20th time...

Couldn't these discussions be kept to the expansion forum where they can whinge to their hearts content and be relatively ignored?

Stallion

First Grade
Wow....

Who would have thought that a thread created to criticise Greenberg would have given a platform to the same 4-5 Sydney haters to relaunch their repetitive crusade for the 20th time...

Couldn't these discussions be kept to the expansion forum where they can whinge to their hearts content and be relatively ignored?

The crusaders were the good guys weren't they? These dudes are definitely not the good guys!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I’d agree, eels will be the powerhouse of sydney if they can get their management sht sorted. But there are a number of clubs barely financially clinging on by their fingernails clubs with small fanbases, clubs with Ltd corporate appeal, clubs with limited jnr and community bases etc. pick the strongest 6-7 Sydney clubs and revamp the nrl by creat8my space for two new clubs and eventually 2 more.

It would be a very very hard argument to suggest some Sydney clubs are offering more than melbourne storm as an example, and a brsibane2 club has much much more potential than even the storm.

Why can't we develop the grass roots and player pool so we can have more clubs if we want?

I would be happy if in the future we went to 22 clubs and set up like the NFL with conferences etc

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So who misses out then?

That leaves four more spots in the competition and upwards of ten more places that could theoretically support a club or another club in the next 15-20 years.

So who has to miss out so that Sydney can stay over saturated and why should we accept this stunted growth?

Why is Sydney saturated? The population is expected to grow to 6m in the next 25 years that's 40% growth.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-population-to-top-6m-in-2036-report-20100406-ro4i.html

siv

First Grade

They didnt

Whenever a NRL club was put on top of a strong Division it took 20 years to recover

This goes for

Illawarra
Canberra - Monaro/Riverina
Newcastle
Brisbane
Auckland - AuRL/NZRL

You saw a positive effect for Melbourne Adealide and Perth

Stallion

First Grade
Clubs need a 1million population potential target audience, or very succesful pokie empires, to thrive it would seem. 6milion, 6 teams, nice round figures lol

Tell that to the current clubs outside of Sydney excepting Brisbane and Melbourne. And you might want to mention it to the ten AFL clubs with 4million population in Melbourne. Oh dear! I know u said "lol" but you are thinking this sort of stuff.

M2D2

Bench
Stallion, word to the wise.
Dont engage PR or Doctor.
Youll just waste your time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Tell that to the current clubs outside of Sydney excepting Brisbane and Melbourne. And you might want to mention it to the ten AFL clubs with 4million population in Melbourne. Oh dear! I know u said "lol" but you are thinking this sort of stuff.

Just to take this thread a little further off topic

If you love the VFL model so much, do you also agree with rationalising the stadiums into 3 central grouds for all 9 Sydney clubs?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wow....

TBF its was a pretty dumb thread to begin with....

Perth Red

Post Whore

Have you seen the accounts of those ten Melbourne clubs? like the Sydney clubs more than half of them are up sht street financially. It’s no surprise that the one/two team cities in both codes are mostly the most finacially succesful. There are only two sports in the world that seem to think having 9 or 10 clubs in one city is going to work, and they are both here and both financially struggling. If it hadn’t been for pokies neither Sydney or Melbourne sporting landscapes would look like they do. It should come as no surprise that now those pokie empires are diminishing the over saturation is coming to the forefront.

Like I said let’s see what happens over the next three or four years now clubs are getting massive grants and have had significant loans to cover debts.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Just to take this thread a little further off topic

If you love the VFL model so much, do you also agree with rationalising the stadiums into 3 central grouds for all 9 Sydney clubs?

No, money should develop each clubs ground into boutique stadiums, play all but one Sydney game per round during the day and TV blackout of live match in city.

M2D2

Bench
No, money should develop each clubs ground into boutique stadiums, play all but one Sydney game per round during the day and TV blackout of live match in city.
88712cfec4fc031df0aee5628efcf84b154a78830b2882461b62765bc77571bd.jpg

BuffaloRules

Coach
Clubs need a 1million population potential target audience, or very succesful pokie empires, to thrive it would seem. 6milion, 6 teams, nice round figures lol

Let's close the book on Perth then.. looking at their NRL TV ratings they have about 5,000 people interested and they don't allow pokies...