What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Payten released - Now a Tiger

melon....

Coach
Congratulations to Wests Tigers for the signing of a player I have a lot of time for. "Mullet" Payten. He was contracted to Easts for 2004, but in order for Easts to continue remaining under the cap for next season, he had to be cut. I know Todd has expressed sadness at leaving the Roosters as he has said to many supporters he loves the club and has enjoyed his year there.

Its an unfortunate situation, as Im sure the club wanted to keep him, but because Easts play by the rules they had to let him go.

Good luck Mullet. I hope we can send you off a winner!!!

Z

Juniors
Great news for Todd. Along with Skandalis, the Tigers look to have not too bad of a front row now......

melon....

Coach
Northwest Rabbit said:
Another one Souths let slip. What are we doing???
You couldnt have known in time Tappy. He was only informed last week. Unfair treatment by the club but the cap dictated terms.

Mambo

Juniors
melon.... said:
Northwest Rabbit said:
Another one Souths let slip. What are we doing???
You couldnt have known in time Tappy. He was only informed last week. Unfair treatment by the club but the cap dictated terms.

So how did Wests find out?

chileman

Coach
Melon, can you explain to me why Payton would be released so you can stay under the cap whilst you hang onto Kaufusi (and this is on the assumption you still have him as I haven't heard a thing about him since he went to you guys so if he isn't at Easts anymore, disregard this question)?

Chook

First Grade
You can actually have that useless pile of Poofusi back if you want him? For someone who was suppose to be gun he hasn't made much of an impact in PL.

Chook.

chileman

Coach
Chook said:
You can actually have that useless pile of Poofusi back if you want him? For someone who was suppose to be gun he hasn't made much of an impact in PL.

Chook.
:badgrin: He's all yours mate...the turncoat is not needed at Brookie!

legend

Coach
Chileman, from what I know Payten was being by the Raiders for this season as he asked for a release and was granted one but his salary counted towards the Raiders cap for the remainder of his contract with Canberra. That contract expires this year which means if the Roosters wanted to keep him they would have to foot the bill for his wages from here on in.

Good for the Tigers though. Skandalis and Payten would be one of the heaviest front rows in the NRL and the "Mullet" can link up with Tim Sheens, the bloke who discovered him.

melon....

Coach
chileman said:
Melon, can you explain to me why Payton would be released so you can stay under the cap whilst you hang onto Kaufusi (and this is on the assumption you still have him as I haven't heard a thing about him since he went to you guys so if he isn't at Easts anymore, disregard this question)?
Coz Manly are dumb enough to be paying for him??? naaaahhh... dunno. He may have vanished too.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
legend said:
Good for the Tigers though. Skandalis and Payten would be one of the heaviest front rows in the NRL and the "Mullet" can link up with Tim Sheens, the bloke who discovered him.

Add Laffranchi to that list as well.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Payten will now collect cheaks for 3 different clubs!
he shows a bit of potential and i think Tim Sheens could be the one to bring his out of his nut shell

Geez the tigers have finally decided to recruit well! :shock: :shock: :p :p :p

Kiwi

First Grade
melon.... said:
Its an unfortunate situation, as Im sure the club wanted to keep him, but because Easts play by the rules they had to let him go.

I find this hard to swallow after reading this in the courier mail.

"The Broncos have lost promising young prop Ben Hannant to the Roosters with the Sydney club offering money Brisbane could not match."

I'm not having a rooster bashing session, but gezz you have to admit when you see a club releasing players saying we have no money then out bidding the Broncos for a player they wanted to keep you do have to wonder.

melon....

Coach
Kiwi said:
melon.... said:

"The Broncos have lost promising young prop Ben Hannant to the Roosters with the Sydney club offering money Brisbane could not match."

I'm not having a rooster bashing session, but gezz you have to admit when you see a club releasing players saying we have no money then out bidding the Broncos for a player they wanted to keep you do have to wonder.
The rules Im referring to Kiwi are the Salary Cap restrictions. Releasing Payton now, ensures we stay under next season. Buying a promising young player now doesnt mean his contract affects our cap until probably 2005. Nothing wrong with buying players, the Broncos do it all the time. ANd you actually read the courier mail???? Jeez, that rag's gotta be worse than the Daily Telecrap in Sydney! Im sure if they had their way, they;d report that everyone on the free market is being targetted by the Roosters. :roll:

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Kiwi said:

Also what you need to realise is that the Roosters could have signed this kid to a NSWRL contract and not a NRL based contract therfore allowing the Roosters to be able to pay more money for the kid.

Simular to what happened when the Roosters signed Albert Hopoate from Wests.

skeepe

Immortal
Sure, the young guy won't count, but how do you explain them signing Gavin Lester from the Bulldogs the same time Payten was told he would have to leave? That would seem more worrying and hypocritical to me

Kiwi

First Grade
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:
melon.... said:

The rules Im referring to Kiwi are the Salary Cap restrictions. Releasing Payton now, ensures we stay under next season. Buying a promising young player now doesnt mean his contract affects our cap until probably 2005. Nothing wrong with buying players, the Broncos do it all the time. ANd you actually read the courier mail???? Jeez, that rag's gotta be worse than the Daily Telecrap in Sydney! Im sure if they had their way, they;d report that everyone on the free market is being targetted by the Roosters. :roll:

I'd say it'd be more likely he'd be getting plenty of game time at the Roosters next year. What with Payten and Lomu gone, that leaves who other than Cayless in the front row?

Kiwi

First Grade
Mighty Tiger said:
Kiwi said:

Also what you need to realise is that the Roosters could have signed this kid to a NSWRL contract and not a NRL based contract therfore allowing the Roosters to be able to pay more money for the kid.

Simular to what happened when the Roosters signed Albert Hopoate from Wests.

I thought the NSWRL had a salary cap restriction also?