What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Smith

Dannyboy80

Juniors
Has parted ways with Warrington, looking for a new job..
- Ex Dragons and Steelers player
- Ex international Coach
-Highly experienced
- Credited with transforming Wolves from 'pretenders' to 'contenders' with a string of trophies and finals appearances in his time there
He fits all the criteria
What are we waiting for?

hewi

Bench
Has parted ways with Warrington, looking for a new job..
- Ex Dragons and Steelers player
- Ex international Coach
-Highly experienced
- Credited with transforming Wolves from 'pretenders' to 'contenders' with a string of trophies and finals appearances in his time there
He fits all the criteria
What are we waiting for?

The f##king board to sack the useless prick that is currently calling himself a coach.

St Georgio

Juniors
Exactly, couldn't do worse than McWreckor!
Like Soutths
Ultimately his departure came down to two things. Two years of poor results and his conviction that hard work will turn the club around.

To repeat the same process and expect a different result is the definition of insanity and that was enough to convince the board Maguire’s time was up.

It’s understood the board had come to the conclusion that he had flatlined at the club. There’s no denying the coach is passionate and driven. His qualities will be a great asset at any other club but he’s squeezed the lemon dry at Souths
We need change!

Dannyboy80

Juniors
Like Soutths
Ultimately his departure came down to two things. Two years of poor results and his conviction that hard work will turn the club around.

To repeat the same process and expect a different result is the definition of insanity and that was enough to convince the board Maguire’s time was up.

It’s understood the board had come to the conclusion that he had flatlined at the club. There’s no denying the coach is passionate and driven. His qualities will be a great asset at any other club but he’s squeezed the lemon dry at Souths
We need change!
And like Souths, the fans were full of nothing but praise for smiths time with the club, and it's probably more a case of the playing group just needing a change of ideas to get the club moving again rather than his actual abilities as a coach.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Don't know about this one. Fully appreciate Smith's credentials in the Super League, but that's exactly it... It's the Super League. It's a very different game over here.

I would love for him to prove me wrong, but for now i'm a little sceptical. If we're going to replace McGregor I want us to do it right and get the best person available.

Like Soutths

We need change!
Maybe we can swap Boards with Souths!

ALSGI

Bench
I used to hate him as a player, remember he'd get boo'd running on whenever his brother had him on the bench. I f**king hate his brother Brian (from my high school days where he was a teacher).

Still, Tony has definitely served the right apprenticeship (and some) and I think anybody would be better than Mary and his two sidekicks.

St Georgio

Juniors
I used to hate him as a player, remember he'd get boo'd running on whenever his brother had him on the bench. I f**king hate his brother Brian (from my high school days where he was a teacher).

Still, Tony has definitely served the right apprenticeship (and some) and I think anybody would be better than Mary and his two sidekicks.
Phil Gould and Jack Gibson weren't great players but ended up great coaches.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It's a great idea in theory only, but it will never get pass Craig Young & his influence. He hates Brian Smith for a start plus he would see his son Dean being the next cab off the rank for Head Coach. Tony Smith maybe an ex Dragon/Steeler but his nose is well removed from the pigs trough.

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I think we all have to face the reality that Mary isn't going anywhere next year. I'd be happy to bring him on as an assistant coach and see how he goes with Illawarra in 2018. The vision would be to promote him to first grade head coach if he has a great year in NSW Cup.

hazzbeen

Bench
I think we all have to face the reality that Mary isn't going anywhere next year. I'd be happy to bring him on as an assistant coach and see how he goes with Illawarra in 2018. The vision would be to promote him to first grade head coach if he has a great year in NSW Cup.
Just like they did with JD , a threat to the coach so out he went . With a bit of luck they might change the rules for us and make it top 9 then Mary will be one of the better coaches ...

Qdf

Juniors
Na let's keep Mary for another 5 years , he might just come good and get us into the 8 . we don't need outsiders because it could rattle the club ....
Foget about it.The current Dragons administration is garbage and theBoard won't sack Mary. McGregor is a brown nose ,he just cops whatever shite they dish out and hopes he doesn't get the bullet.. He's a boy's club puppet...

St Georgio

Juniors
At least our Moronic board can sign up Neil Henry as an assistant, his win/loss is at 44% + 47%McWreckors (44 +47 / 1.5 = 60.6666666666667)maybe something can happen.

BennyV

Referee
This guy is 100% the perfect coach to take over our team.

Experience.
Sustained success.
Proven ability to build and maintain a squad.
Been through a number of systems (Leeds, England, Warrington) and had success with all of them.
Coaches an entertaining style of footy and breeds a good culture.

Hell, the only thing going against him is that he could technically be classed as an old boy!!!

I would be so horny if we signed him as coach. But nah, won't happen - Mary nearly made the finals this year, that's good enough for our board.

FlameThrower

Bench
It's a great idea in theory only, but it will never get pass Craig Young & his influence. He hates Brian Smith for a start plus he would see his son Dean being the next cab off the rank for Head Coach. Tony Smith maybe an ex Dragon/Steeler but his nose is well removed for the pigs trough.
That's a nightmare scenario to have Dean Young or Hornby as FG coaches. At least Matt Head went to other Clubs, has media experience and coached outside of the Club(?). Hornby and Young have never left the cocoon of the Dragons -

Latest posts