What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tooveys the Man

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
Toovey appointed Manly coach from 2013

October 10, 2011 - 9:19PM

AAP

Manly have announced Geoff Toovey will take over from Des Hasler as Sea Eagles coach from the start of the 2013 NRL season.
Toovey, who has been Hasler's assistant since 2004, played 286 games for the club and skippered the team to the 1996 premiership.
The decision was announced on Monday night following a lengthy meeting of club officials.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Hasler is expected to lead the Sea Eagles for one final season before taking over the Bulldogs, despite speculation he may be forced to depart Brookvale immediately.
The 42-year-old Toovey has agreed a two-year deal and Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn believes they have the right man.
"All parties are happy and comfortable with the arrangement," Penn said.
"We're confident of a good year next year and were also confident Geoff will do a great job when he takes over," Penn told Sportal.
Toovey was backed to succeed by Sea Eagles backrower Tony Williams, who believes the smooth transition will be good for the team.
Williams credits Hasler and Toovey for helping him earn a place in the Kangaroos Four Nations squad following a stellar second half of the club's 2011 premiership-winning season.
"We are all disappointed Dessie is going, but I guess when you receive a good offer to go like that you have to take it," Williams told AAP on Monday.
"Des and the whole Manly coaching staff have helped improve me not just as a player but as a person and been a real part in my development.
"Tooves is a similar coach to Dessie as they have working with each other for a while, he gets along with all the boys and we know what he is like."
© 2011 AAP
:cool:
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ted-manly-coach-from-2013-20111010-1lhmr.html

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
They're making it easy to dislike them putting that whinging tool in charge. Probably be a good coach though, used to coach the reserve grade side from memory and has been assistant to Des for a while now

Bananabender

Juniors
Toovey sounds like he will have a good style then if similar to Des. Saw him on the Fox Sports Show pre grand final and he seems to speak well and know his stuff. I hope Cliffy Lyons plays a part with the club too...

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
Sorry guys I recieved a warning for posting without a link?
I don't know how to do it so I added the title to my post, but it is from the SMH website and confirmed on ManlyDaily.com aswell.

Thanks

Loudstrat

Coach
So Cliffy will run the cigs?

I like Toovey. I think he'd be as good as Wayne Bennett as a stand up comic. But he has respect and played it tough. A bit like Des.

But it's a bit like appointing a new captain of the Titanic 5 minutes after the Iceberg hit.

Loudstrat

Coach
Beachy, when you type a message, in the toolbar above, third from right, you see a blue ball with a sausage underneath it? Click on that, and insert the URL of the page being linked.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Good stuff!! Tooves has serves his apprenticeship so its time to step up.
He's been with all of the players for the past 5 years and has their respect. Hopefully this will avert any of the players buggering off to Dogland.
Hope the players hold firm with what they've said today.......
And to the questions as to whether he's coached lower grade - no he hasn't. Watmough has siad today that Toovey has been the forwards coach for the past couple of seasons. Seems to have done a pretty good job there and has seen and learned the systems.

ceagle

Bench
So Cliffy will run the cigs?

I like Toovey. I think he'd be as good as Wayne Bennett as a stand up comic. But he has respect and played it tough. A bit like Des.

But it's a bit like appointing a new captain of the Titanic 5 minutes after the Iceberg hit.
What is this suppose to mean?

Silent Knight

First Grade
He makes a mean H20

b_10460.jpg

waterboy_2.jpg

innsaneink

Referee
They'll need to take a couple of phone books with them to all away games for his seat at the press conferences

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Good stuff!! Tooves has serves his apprenticeship so its time to step up.
He's been with all of the players for the past 5 years and has their respect. Hopefully this will avert any of the players buggering off to Dogland.
Hope the players hold firm with what they've said today.......
And to the questions as to whether he's coached lower grade - no he hasn't. Watmough has siad today that Toovey has been the forwards coach for the past couple of seasons. Seems to have done a pretty good job there and has seen and learned the systems.

Yes he has, he used to coach our reserve grade side before he became Hasler's assistant. He did a good job as well from memory.

I don't know at all if it is true, but I heard Crusher may stay on with Toovey and not jump ship with Hasler. If we can build a good support staff around Toovey and keep the core of this squad together I'm confident we'll be alright.

Hasler leaving does suck, but you never know, if his departure causes action to be taken behind the scenes to fix the problems at board level, it could end up being a blessing in disguise. I guess time will tell.

Loudstrat

Coach
Here he is outlining his game plan at training. That's Matai, Rose and Lissic in the background:

277167_298201635184_7845754_n.jpg

This is his post match interview:

SRS_EXC_Swift_Shift_Seri_38_494635.jpg

Here he is just after re hiring Zorba:

images

And here he is negotiating with a Canterbury official about following Dessy to Belmore............

swift_wideweb__470x320,0.jpg

Last edited: