What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 overrated players in the NRL

Seano

Juniors
Chris Walker has to be the most overrated player - gets a fortune to play for souths and plays like shite, spits his dummy then goes to the roosters and continues to play shite.

shows how good lockyer and co can make an average player look hey!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cupid Stunt

Edwahu said:
Lyon, Gidley, Tahu, Anasta and Fletcher are all lucky to have played rep footy in my opinion.

Phil Graham and Brad Drew have been pretty overated at times this season.

Really? Fletcher has busted his coight all year along with Harrison & for mine are close to being the only Souths players that can hold their heads up. Lyon misses out on the high-light reels on sundays because he doesnt make 90m busts or 7 intercepts a game but there isnt a centre I'd pick ahead of him as far as an all round solid game goes. Tahu is quality & that is proven by the fact Gidley is picked because of him. Any player that can earn both him & his team-mate selection must have something going for him. (Johns & Buderus being the other combo I had in mind. Strange they both come from the same club. :? )

Anasta, well your preaching to the converted there my friend! :lol:

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Matt Gidley
Braith Anasta
Timana Tahu
Brent Sherwin (all he has is a kicking game)
Shannon Hegarty
Simon Woolford
Brad Drew
Tonie Carroll
Chris Walker

Edwahu

Bench
Cupid Stunt said:
Edwahu said:
Lyon, Gidley, Tahu, Anasta and Fletcher are all lucky to have played rep footy in my opinion.

Phil Graham and Brad Drew have been pretty overated at times this season.

Really? Fletcher has busted his coight all year along with Harrison & for mine are close to being the only Souths players that can hold their heads up. Lyon misses out on the high-light reels on sundays because he doesnt make 90m busts or 7 intercepts a game but there isnt a centre I'd pick ahead of him as far as an all round solid game goes. Tahu is quality & that is proven by the fact Gidley is picked because of him. Any player that can earn both him & his team-mate selection must have something going for him. (Johns & Buderus being the other combo I had in mind. Strange they both come from the same club. :? )

Anasta, well your preaching to the converted there my friend! :lol:

I agree Fletcher has been great this year but this is the first year he has really earnt any of the accolades. I was probably wrong about Lyon too.

Ill never rate Tahu though. He is a ok player but there are plenty who are just as good but dont get a mention. The gidley and Tahu combo is only there because of Johns, which I guess is fair enough.

Nevcost

Juniors
in no order:
Brent Sherwin
Willie Mason
Brad Meyers
Adam Dykes
Michael Vella
Jason Stevens
Chris Walker
Brett Kimmorley
Timana Tahu
Shannon Hegarty

Bench
Stevens,P.Bailey,Meyers,Senter,Wagon,Kite,C.Walker,Leikvol,Anderson,Carlaw

Ultima

Juniors
I fail to see how anyone thinks Schifcofske is over-rated... He is toping a massive amounts of stat counts this year yet didn't make it to a rep jersey... How can someone be overrated if no one rates them good enough for rep footy?

If we are going to do this we should focus on players who get rep jerseys they don't earn or get talked up a lot bigger than they are, so with that in mind I'll list a few:

Andrew Johns - The way the media play him up you would swear he never makes a mistake and scores on every touch of the ball... He is good but no where NEAR what the media portray him as!

Willie Mason - Strong yes but thick as a brick in the brains department. Should NOT have been in the green and gold... Trys to run at smaller players to make himself look good (and it worked against Croker didn't it! :lol: ) Disappears when the work gets tough and only shows up when it's easy going or there is a roll on....

There are more but I'm over abusing players for the moment... I prefer to pick good players anyway...

Kasper

Bench
1.Gidley
2.Girdler(only coz he has been injure used to be good)
3.Timmins (just dont think he is any good)
4.Anasta (not his fault everyone rated him so highly in the first place though)

country eel

Juniors
anasta, kimmorley, o'davis, menzies, howe, Ikin ,stevens, barrett, craigie, c walker.
eels2.gif

Mad Dogg

Juniors
1. Tinkerbell Tahu
2. Matt Gidley
3. Trent Barrett
4. Andrew Johns - one of the top three players in the game, but nowhere near the god that the media try to portray him as
5. Jason Stevens
6. Michael Vella

panthersballboy

Juniors
How can anyone say Gower is overated? The only people that rate him are panther fans and thats because he has led us from cellar dwellers to title contenders. They only panther I can understand being overated is Girdler and that's because he had 1 blinder season in 2000 but has struggled with injuries since. Still he is playing some good footy this year.

knightingale

Juniors
1. Brent Tate
2. Brett Kimorley
3. Darren Lockyer (one of the best in the game, but nowhere near the God he is portrayed as)
4. Braith Anasta
5. Gordon Tallis (in the top 5 2nd rowers, but nowhere near the 2nd-row god the media make him out to be)
6. Brad Meyers
7. Petero Civonceiva
8. Scott Hill
9. Brett Finch
10. Clinton Toopi

This might be a bit of a harsh call but if u took Andrew Johns out of Newcastle, Gidley, Tahu, Simpson, Kennedy and even Buderus would be half the players they are now, If Newcastle were that a good a team then when johns is missing , i would think that those other so called "stars" would still be able to win them games

Last 10 games without Johns - Knights have won 3. Last 10 games without Lockyer - Broncos have won 2.

Take Origin Out. The Knights have won 6 from their last 10, the Broncos have won 3.

Gee. Think a bit. Halfbacks are the game, take them out, a whole new game plan needs to be developed. That takes time. Look at Canberra in 1993. Unbeatable, Ricky gets hurt, never win another game.

Dogs Of War

Coach
pepstar87 said:
Braith Anasta
Brent Sherwin (all he has is a kicking game)

Well one of the halves is doing something right as they are scoring heaps of tries, which one is setting all these up, and don;t tell they all came from kicks as hardly any of late have been scored this way.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
legend said:
1. Michael Vella
2. Adam Dykes
3. Braith Anasta
4. Matt Gidley
5. Trent Barrett
6. Willie Mason
7. Brett Finch
8. Luke Ricketson
9. Lance Thompson
10. Jason Stevens

As usual Legend, I think you are way off base here mate. Lance Thompson is your Overated list, is Laughable to say the least. The Guy is one of the smallest backrowers in the comp, yet leads all statistics in his position.

One of the Gutsiest players in the comp.

Gidley, as well as being a Turnstile every now and then, is the most creative centre in the ga,e. He is hard to stop, and puts on more tries for his team mates than any other centre in the game.
Ricketson...??? Your kidding..

The rest I have no Probs with , in regards to Rated higher than they should be.

My Top 10 Would be.

Trent Barrett.. But Id like to see him with Firmo first.
Stevens
Braith Anasta
FINCH MOST Overated...
MEYERS
IKIN
Dykes
Green
Devere
Seymour

Master Vitaly

Juniors
1. Rodney Howe - overpriced drug cheat
2. Brett Kimmorley - has done nothing since leaving the Storm & will probably make the Kangaroo tour..
3. Braith Anasta????
4. Ben Ikin
5. Willie Mason
6. Mark Gasnier????
7. Brett Finch
8. Jason Ryles
9. Stephen Kearney
10. Phil Bailey

..and whats with all the Clinton Toopi hating? He's the MAN! When does he get talked up? Sure he's got a few defensive problems.. That'll should all come right in time..... :?

Matt23

Staff member
Brent Tate...If he was'nt from the same town as Arthur Beetson would he still be a walk up start to rep teams?

Anonymous

Juniors
..and whats with all the Clinton Toopi hating? He's the MAN! When does he get talked up? Sure he's got a few defensive problems.. That'll should all come right in time.....

Quite apart from missing more tackles and dropping more ball then anyone else in the team, if you look at the Warriors alone, Faumuina, Lauiti'iti, and Meli are all far more talented then he is.

He's like a cancer on the whole left side of the attack, he can't catch or pass, he's adept only at running his wingers over the sideline, he lacks basically every useful rugby league skill.

Master Vitaly

Juniors
Hahaha, is that right? And who would you rather have? Exciting newwcomers like "Vince Mellars" or the flair and skill of Vinnie Anderson & John Carlaw?? :lol: ... When Toopi was missing the Warriors backline looked very average and that was blatantly obvious.. He's by far the best attacking centre in the club by a country mile! He sure as hell creates a hell of alot more opportunity than Anderson and co.. I'll openly admit there are many areas of his game that need improving but he's still the best the Warriors have got and dats da bottom line! 8)

Anonymous

Juniors
Yeah...truth is I don't rate Toopi as low as I often claim, I've just been bagging him for a while now so I always try and play it up to piss people off. :)

I'd have him in the team anyday, but I really believe the Warriors have always been weak in the centres...even last years Carlaw/Toopi combo was nothing to write home about, despite what some people think.

I'd probably have Tony Martin ahead of him :p And we'll have to wait and see with Mellars. Did you realise VA has played in every game this season? Obviously DA sees something in him.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
knightingale said:
Last 10 games without Johns - Knights have won 3. Last 10 games without Lockyer - Broncos have won 2.

Take Origin Out. The Knights have won 6 from their last 10, the Broncos have won 3.

Gee. Think a bit. Halfbacks are the game, take them out, a whole new game plan needs to be developed. That takes time. Look at Canberra in 1993. Unbeatable, Ricky gets hurt, never win another game.
I don't understand you're reasoning. You talk about how important the halfback is, but the rest of what you say seems to be pointing to Lockyer, a fullback, being more important to his team than Johns is to Newcastle.

Although what those stats don't show is the huge injury list that the Broncos have had since around Origin 3. Besides Lockyer, we've had every other play-maker in the club injured, as well as Tallis, Carroll, Tate, Minto and a few other first graders.