What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Loader vs Front Loader Washing Machines

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I currently live with four other guys in a rental property in southeast Melbourne.

Since August this year we have had three different top loader machines. First was a Maytag small commercial model which shit its pump constantly and was commissioned as a boat anchor. I don't know how old it was.

The next was a Lumina which I think is an Aldi product and a loaner. Again the pump died with a impeller problem which was fixed numerous times without success.

Number three, which is currently still going just, is a Hotpoint (I thought the Hotpoint brand died in the 1960s). During the spin cycle, the amount of vibration must register on the nearest seismological station's charts.

I have never owned a front loader machine myself. However, the three top loaders that I have bought from new are still going strong, the first being bought in the early 2000s (Simpson Eziset 9.5 kg capacity).

I see no merit whatsoever in a front loader washing machine. Their design is contrary to common sense. As soon as a cycle is started, the door is locked and cannot be opened until it is finished. So what happens when the crate shits itself mid cycle? Time for a crowbar? And they say that they are so environmentally friendly! Bullshit! They use cold water and an element to heat that water. How environmentally friendly is that? Better to use hot AND cold water for your laundry requirements.

The advantages of a top loader is that you can interrupt the cycle by simply opening the lid, choose hot, warm or cold water much more easily than a front loader, be assured that the washing load is totally immersed in the washing media, namely water,and clean the lint filter in less than 30 seconds. It seems that consumers have been duped by the flashing lights and infinite wash settings of the front loader.

What is your preference?

Last edited:

OVP

Coach
Definitely top loader. Front loaders are for suckers who honestly, truly believe their load of washing isn't going to conk out in the middle of a cycle. Hahah I've never trusted a corporation that much. When a top loader conks out in the middle of a cycle (through putting too many clothes in), all you have to do is open the lid and re-adjust the tub inside and it's fixed. Can't do that with a front loader.

I've had a lot more luck with my top loader than you Veggie, It's still going strong after 4 years. I bought it new for about $350 and the only prob so far was the end of the hose that is attached to the machine got a split through friction from the spin cycles. Nothing a bit of electrical tape won't fix and its as good as new.

Edit : Btw mine is a Haier brand (5.5kgs). They sound German. :D German engineering > *

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Other side of the argument. Had the same front loader for over 10 years, a whirlpool. It's been faultless. I always wash in cold water, and the door can be opened at any point in the cycle by pausing it. Its also far more gentle on clothes, none of that stretches out t shirt necks from a top loader.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I had top loaders for ages and swore by them. Got a front loader last year and it's so much better, I was kicking myself for not having had one earlier.

I can pause the cycle to open the door whenever. Also, if something would go wrong, there are settings you can use to end a cycle which will unlock the door (ie - there's a drain machine setting which takes a minute to run and doesn't need to spin the drum)

It uses a shit ton less water, soap and electricity, the clothes spin dry better, so they don't take as long to dry, less lint and crap on the clothes, shorter wash times and they are immensely quieter.

I was about to arsehole our dryer because I thought it was up shit creek, failing to dry clothes after a two hour cycle, lint and crap all over them etc.

The new washing machine has saved the dryers arse. Turns out it was the old top loader that was f**king everything up.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
It uses a shit ton less water, soap and electricity, the clothes spin dry better, so they don't take as long to dry, less lint and crap on the clothes, shorter wash times and they are immensely quieter.
My observations of the current front loader....

Uses less water - yes, to the extent does it use enough water to actually wash the clothes?

Uses less soap - don't really know.

Uses less electricity - when the so-called ECO goes for a whopping 2 hours and 23 minutes, I don't think so. I've heard that a certain Samsung front loader/dryer combo has a cycle that goes for over six hours!

Spins clothes better - not really. I've tried to double spin the clothes but to no avail.

Less lint - no difference.

Shorter wash times - refer to electricity above. My top loaders typically had a cycle of about 1 1/2 hours on the heavy duty cycle.

Quieter - yes until it goes into the spin cycle. I'm quite sure if I did a load in the middle of the night, the neighbours would be knocking on the front door.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
None of that is true in my experience.

The standard cycle on my old top loader was 90 minutes. On the front loader its 50.

The shortest cycle on the top loader was 35 mins. On the front loader its 15 mins.

The heavy duty on the top went for 2 hours. On the front loader its 1 hour 40 mins.

Theres plenty of water and soap bubbles sloshing around, so yes it uses enough water.

A 2 in 1 washer dryer combo naturally has longer cycles. Its doing two jobs.

Spin cycle is very much quieter. No drum wobbling about banging the sides if the load isn't level. No need to go in and level it out mid cycle. I do all my washing at night while working and it doesn't wake anyone up.

You won't be changing my view. I've got my own personal experience and facts. If you want to dispute that then why bother making the thread?

Reactions: gUt

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Madunit, I'm just want to gauge other people's experiences with either top or front loaders, not to dispute them.

By the way, what brand is your machine?

This Hotpoint machine has a QUICK WASH of about 35 minutes as well. Not really sure how good a wash I would get if I tried it.

gUt

Coach
Add me to the front loader converts. Our LG has been going fine for the 3-4 years we've had it.

Our laundry is next to the baby's room and he sleeps through the cycle. Only the little tune it plays when it finishes sometimes wakes him up.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Madunit, I'm just want to gauge other people's experiences with either top or front loaders, not to dispute them.

By the way, what brand is your machine?

This Hotpoint machine has a QUICK WASH of about 35 minutes as well. Not really sure how good a wash I would get if I tried it.
I have a Bosch front loader.

I had a Bosch top loader before that. A Samsung top loader before that, a Hitachi top loader before that and a Fisher & Paykel top loader before that. The Samsung, Hitachi and F&P worked well and never had faults with them. I only replaced them because I needed something bigger. The Bosch one was reportedly quieter and I got it the year before our little one was born.

Sold it to a friend after 3 years and bought a front loader. Main reason was because every top loader was so noisy I had to put them in the garage so as to keep the noise down for the little one. Got the front loader so I could use the laundry as I needed space in the garage. (I could put the dryer on top of the washing machine)

I didn't buy into any of the crap about differences. Top loaders had always been good for me. But ever since having a front loader I have found the decision to be all pro's with zero cons.

The quick wash is more for small loads. Even though my FL has a 15 min quick wash, it works very well. None of my clothes get that dirty laundry smell anymore.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Add me to the front loader converts. Our LG has been going fine for the 3-4 years we've had it.

Our laundry is next to the baby's room and he sleeps through the cycle. Only the little tune it plays when it finishes sometimes wakes him up.
Ours being German, doesn't play a tune. Just loud incessant beeps which sound like it's yelling "I AM FINISHED YOU LAZY f**k. EMPTY ME NOW! OR ELSE I WILL KILL YOOOOU!"

Reactions: gUt

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Another front loader convert here. We had a top loader for years and there are some good models I'm sure, but I was fixing it every 6-12 months - same old problems with the pump blocking, impeller etc. The front panel then died and that was it.

The front loader cost more, that's why I kept thinking we were saving money by fixing the old top loader - all for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars. False economy and too many lost hours on the weekends.

Now, a year later, I am no longer having to pull the thing apart. The front loader is quieter and quicker. the other advantage is that it saves room. Should have done it years ago.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Got an Aqualtis (Ariston)front loader earlier in the year, 1st front loaded machine I have used. Never going back to the top loader now, it does everything so much better.
I probably use about 4 times less water and washing powder than I ever have. Highly recommend front loader washing machines..

Dogs Of War

Coach
Only had front loaders for years now. I lost too many shirts to agitators. Plus the room you get back in the laundry is great as well.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Agree about the room you save, I put the drier on top of the wm and moved the fridge into the laundry. Saved heaps of room in the dinning/kitchen area.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
As an apartment dweller I’m in the front loader camp for some of the reasons already stated above. More space efficient as you can stack the dryer on top and save the hassle of wall mounting it, which isn’t always practical. Easier to plumb in if you don’t have a dedicated laundry space too as you only need s cold water feed.