What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto and potential for an NRL replica

siv

First Grade
You cant have every club in 1 or 2 leagues

We should be supporting the growth of all nations in setting up domestic leagues with a champions league style concept

Maybe with the best 2 joining NRL and ESL champions in a 4 way WCC series

adamkungl

Immortal
Take a lot at a map guys.

The only first world city outside of existing RL markets within reasonable range to Sydney is Singapore.

Let's look at Perth, Adelaide, and Wellington first..

jim_57

Staff member
Take a lot at a map guys.

The only first world city outside of existing RL markets within reasonable range to Sydney is Singapore.

Let's look at Perth, Adelaide, and Wellington first..

If we're using Toronto to Manchester as an example then there are plenty of cities around that 8-10 hour mark for flights.

It's not really a case of looking at these places, by all means Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane & NZ should be the places NRL aims for first. What happens though if a serious group of investors comes to the NRL proposing a side in Asia? Very similar to what is happening now woth the RFL and North America, how does the NRL accomodate them? Or do they just tell them where to go?

adamkungl

Immortal
If we're using Toronto to Manchester as an example then there are plenty of cities around that 8-10 hour mark for flights.

It's not really a case of looking at these places, by all means Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane & NZ should be the places NRL aims for first. What happens though if a serious group of investors comes to the NRL proposing a side in Asia? Very similar to what is happening now woth the RFL and North America, how does the NRL accomodate them? Or do they just tell them where to go?

I'm not sure tbh.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong that the NRL runs a closed shop, licenced competition.
Nor do I think, even though im an expansionist, the NRL has any need or duty to expand the first grade competition outside of Australia and New Zealand.

So my gut instinct now would be a No to an NRL team in Asia, and see if that investment could be directed in some other helpful way.

Should any sporting comp open the doors to any rich bloke who comes along proposing he wants his own team in some far flung place? I don't think so.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
PNG is not really comparable to Toronto Wolfpack. 1 has strong RL presence but limted commercial appeal, the other is the complete opposite. A consortium popping up tomorrow in Asia with wealthy backers would be the only similar equivalent.
I'd forget commercial appeal. Of course PNG is a third world country and has pretty much nothing to offer commercially but RL is the national sport, the people would die to have an NRL team representing them. It would do a lot for them over there in PNG depending on how the Hunters go in 8-10 years. Get internationals played at under 16, 18s and 20s levels between Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Island sides and it will shoot up!

jim_57

Staff member
I'm not sure tbh.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong that the NRL runs a closed shop, licenced competition.
Nor do I think, even though im an expansionist, the NRL has any need or duty to expand the first grade competition outside of Australia and New Zealand.

So my gut instinct now would be a No to an NRL team in Asia, and see if that investment could be directed in some other helpful way.

Should any sporting comp open the doors to any rich bloke who comes along proposing he wants his own team in some far flung place? I don't think so.

Personally I don't think an oppurtunity to get an all expenses paid foothold in a large Asian country is so easily scoffed at. If such a consortium ever came to the NRL with plans and solid backing I think they'd be mad to shoot it down outright. Potential new sponsorship and TV money could be big.

Of course I sound like an AFL 1% of China guy here. 3 years ago Toronto aiming for Super League was absolute dreamland stuff though, if someone/s like Eric Perez can build something similar in Asia it could be a huge oppurtunity for the game. All hypotheticals but I for one think if a strongly backed Asian bid would be immediatley up there with the likes of Perth and Brisbane 2.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I think an "Asian" branded team based out of Japan could potentially work.

There's huge corporate involvement in Japanese rugby as well as strong playing numbers.

Add in the fact that there are a lot of Samoans with Chinese heritage (about 25% of them) as well as a few Filipino players and Shaun Johnson (half Laotian) and it has the potential to work if the NRL was serious about doing it.

Perth, PNG and a South Pacific (drawing from Fiji/Samoa/Tonga) club based out of Auckland should all be priorities before that though.

Morotti

Juniors
The true test for the Toronto team is going to be whether it can translate in a generation or two to a bigger Canadian domestic league.

One issue I find people tend to discount is the playing quality if you add more teams. You need a good number of top quality athletes. So adding another team in areas where Rugby League is not played dilutes the current talent available.

Which is why when the NRL is thinking about expansion into new markets or even existing markets they should also be looking at increasing junior participation at the very least over a period of time before allowing any new teams.

For example a Western Australian team based in Perth should need to satisfy key criteria such as increased junior clubs and increased junior participation.

If an Asian expansion team was to want to be added to the NRL, what benefit is that to the NRL? That is what they have to put forward.

I know we talk about areas where Rugby League is played as though the fans will automatically translate across to Rugby League but let us be honest, that does not happen. In fact areas with a strong Rugby League presence are traditionally very difficult for Rugby League. Ask the French how they go. And the Welsh.

Toronto bring to the Super League a new audience and no doubt they are hoping the TV rights will increase if they can get a foot hold in Canada.

But as someone suggested, as it is a promotion and relegation they can start from a lower tier and work their way up. It is not the same in the NRL.

Also whoever said Adelaide as an expansionist area is silly. Adelaide you can bypass as it does not help at all in my opinion. Plenty of better areas for expansion. I would do Perth and maybe even another New Zealand team first. Then you will likely have to add one in Brisbane before long. But you need it to be an even number.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
The benefit of an Asian team would be financial.

Huawei and Kaspersky Lab (China) are already sponsors in the NRL and Japan has the likes of Kubota, Suntory, Toshiba, Toyota, Canon, Panasonic and Yamaha heavily involved in their Union comp.

Tapping into that corporate involvement and a TV audience of over 120 million people would provide a huge financial boost if successful.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Totally ignorant but I always wondered why the NRL never did anything in Indonesia, Jakarta is the second biggest city in the world and a pretty big economy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I don't think an oppurtunity to get an all expenses paid foothold in a large Asian country is so easily scoffed at. If such a consortium ever came to the NRL with plans and solid backing I think they'd be mad to shoot it down outright. Potential new sponsorship and TV money could be big.

Of course I sound like an AFL 1% of China guy here. 3 years ago Toronto aiming for Super League was absolute dreamland stuff though, if someone/s like Eric Perez can build something similar in Asia it could be a huge oppurtunity for the game. All hypotheticals but I for one think if a strongly backed Asian bid would be immediatley up there with the likes of Perth and Brisbane 2.

tbf this fell on its face in London which is what happened with first Broncos ownership, then Richard Branson taking them over. The problem with rich backer clubs with no support or infrastructure is sustainability if the owner gets bored or goes broke.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Totally ignorant but I always wondered why the NRL never did anything in Indonesia, Jakarta is the second biggest city in the world and a pretty big economy.

For anything to be successful in Indonesia it'd have to be pushed internally, so you'd really need an Indonesian Perez for it to be successful and obviously that's never happened.

The other challenges that you'd face with Indonesia are political.

Though Indonesia and Australia are cordial and polite to each other (atm), without going into to much detail their are some fundamental philosophical differences between the way that each country operates that are irreconcilable and the relationship between the two countries is always strained.

All it would take is for Indonesia to do something really stupid in West Papua and for it to get out and we'd have another East Timor on our hands.

Coparugby

Juniors
Rugby of either code is extremely foreign to Indonesians. Millions would never have even heard of any form of rugby. They enjoy soccer and sports like badminton.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rugby of either code is extremely foreign to Indonesians. Millions would never have even heard of any form of rugby. They enjoy soccer and sports like badminton.

Would they need to play in a weight restricted league? I haven't seen many big locals in Bali!