What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto CEO predicts super league $$ turnover greater than NRL in the coming years

magpie_man

Juniors
I remember Steve Mascord's idea from a few years ago of the NRL buying-out the ESL; right now shares would be pretty low but if these North American franchises are a success we could see them skyrocket.
Realistically, I wonder how much it would cost.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I’m happy to just sit back and enjoy the show. If they succeed it’s great, if they fall at least they tried.

RL doesn’t have to be big in the US. A small niche sport in the US can still bring in great money.

When I lived there they had remote control car racing as a televised sport in addition to a large range of other sports making money off TV.

There are more sports and more money these days and they only have to capture a small share to get decent money.

A small share is realistic but also would be very hard and take long to obtain.

I agree with the sentiment of your post though; that and any news is good news. They've made some headlines here (and I'm assuming in the UK).

On the question of marketing the game, I think RL needs to promote itself as a faster, funner and 'modified' version of Rugby (union) that focuses itself of running. While you might not capture rugby purists (or you might given they probably want more action there) you also open yourself to a market who wants fresh ideas. My understanding is the NFL is facing a slump in leadership and the world/US want change and new ideas.

POPEYE

Coach
Would be hilarious if the Yanks poach the best Aussies to earn more money against easier opposition in the ESL. Instead of the Poms up against NRL rejects they'd have to face 'kangaroos' all year round . . . good luck enforcing any kind of salary cap

Stallion

First Grade
I remember Steve Mascord's idea from a few years ago of the NRL buying-out the ESL; right now shares would be pretty low but if these North American franchises are a success we could see them skyrocket.
Realistically, I wonder how much it would cost.

Hope it goes gangbusters! The more opportunities for rugby league players the better for the game overall!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
6 clubs in 5 years with players on $1M salaries.

I think your in for some massive letdown mate.

Its great that everyone is keen, but a little bit more realism is needed.
I don't think that the salaries will be that high within 5 years. I mean once the NA teams make their way to SL and a TV deal ensues. Even a small TV deal in North American terms will be huge for RL

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If both Toronto and New York are very successful (and Toronto is almost there) then there will be no stopping rugby league growth in the USA. Watch out for plans for Boston, Montreal, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Jacksonville.

Yep, the amount of money it takes for these North American teams to be a viable option for top players is nothing in terms of the money on offer in the NA sporting market. Even a small TV deal for the niche sport that RL is, would be massive for the game overall

Diesel

Referee
How will expansion affect/work with the USARL competition if North America have their own comp?

Is/was the USARL/AMNRL played over a shorter season?

How will expansion affect/work with the USARL competition if North America have their own comp?

Is/was the USARL/AMNRL played over a shorter season?

Yes it is played over a shorter season. The USARL will become an amateur feeder for the North American Super League clubs.

POPEYE

Coach
With luck more RL will be played in the US than NFL is played in the rest of the World . . . hopefully concussion won't lead to leotards, helmets and more stoppages than play

Stallion

First Grade
With luck more RL will be played in the US than NFL is played in the rest of the World . . . hopefully concussion won't lead to leotards, helmets and more stoppages than play

Think the helmets have led to more concussion concerns from what I've heard? But yes rugby league is basically an undiscovered code that deserves far greater presence than it currently has .

Stallion

First Grade
Yes it is played over a shorter season. The USARL will become an amateur feeder for the North American Super League clubs.

Hopefully this will lead to a North American top flight league in years to come! The more rugby league the better! The code has been hidden in the shadows for far too long. Rugby league deserves greater recognition and universal relevance. It's a top line football code that exhibits open play and democratic play for participants. And great to watch with plenty of contact involved.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This is actually no joke for the NRL. All it takes is one game changing TV deal in North America. Perez is already speaking about 6 clubs within 5 years all with financial backing to be self-reliant and not require central funding from the RFL. If interest really takes off paying an athlete $500,000 to $1M in the North American sporting market is nothing - even for a niche sport. The NRL's hand will be forced by Rugby League, not by Rugby Union. Bring it on. Whatever makes the game grow.

The NRL monopoly is the worst thing to happen to RL...

For the first time in Australias RL history that the one comp is supreme, I dont think it is a coincidence that the game has stagnated.

RockWheel

Bench
The NRL monopoly is the worst thing to happen to RL...

For the first time in Australias RL history that the one comp is supreme, I dont think it is a coincidence that the game has stagnated.
the NRL has been the far superior competition since the 90s at least.

Perth Red

Post Whore
the NRL has been the far superior competition since the 90s at least.
SL onwards really, which is weird considering the uk game was not ft professional until then and should have closed the game. The emergence of the behemoth thst is EPL hasn't helped the game over there though.

RockWheel

Bench
SL onwards really, which is weird considering the uk game was not ft professional until then and should have closed the game. The emergence of the behemoth thst is EPL hasn't helped the game over there though.
the NRL/rugby league in australia wasn't fully professional until then either. going fully professional just widened the gap.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As rugby league is not mainstream in most areas of the world it does deserve long overdue recognition and presence. These pioneering efforts are to be embraced and welcomed for a code that deserves much more relevance and presence than it has to date.

F*ck off with your "deserve"...

The game DESERVES nothing. If it is successful in the end, it is only because good people fought for what they wanted and believed they could do it.

Success or failure, the game deserves everything that has happened in the past so far and it deserves exactly what it gets

LineBall

Juniors
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
On the question of marketing the game, I think RL needs to promote itself as a faster, funner and 'modified' version of Rugby (union) that focuses itself of running. While you might not capture rugby purists (or you might given they probably want more action there) you also open yourself to a market who wants fresh ideas. My understanding is the NFL is facing a slump in leadership and the world/US want change and new ideas.

I reckon a "faster, safer, more inclusive version of Gridiron" would be more a valuable pitch....

Stallion

First Grade
F*ck off with your "deserve"...

The game DESERVES nothing. If it is successful in the end, it is only because good people fought for what they wanted and believed they could do it.

Success or failure, the game deserves everything that has happened in the past so far and it deserves exactly what it gets

You pitiless piece of shit!
Are you aware of the apartheid like treatment against rugby league in many countries around the world!? This in itself is a travesty of natural sporting justice and you come up with that!
You piece of shit!

Canard

Immortal
You pitiless piece of shit!
Are you aware of the apartheid like treatment against rugby league in many countries around the world!? This in itself is a travesty of natural sporting justice and you come up with that!
You piece of shit!

This guy is a teacher, apparently.

Latest posts