What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolf-Pack in bid to rise to Super League

johnny plath

Juniors
Credit both the European Super League and the Toronto Wolf Pack for expanding the game in new areas unlike the NR, who appear to just twiddle their thumbs why other football codes expand around them.
It reminds me of the saying "Nero fiddled why Rome burnt"
I think it's great the wolf pack coming in but Hang on. ..theyre not in superleague..they're 2 divisions lower....so comparing like for like theyve just entered ron massey cup or brisbane division 1..... not really any different to what nrl is doing with Fiji and others into nsw cup 2018 or png hunters in q cup. Sure it's not the way everyone wants to expand but there's no need to make shit up just to bag something and think we're right.

It will do as much for English RL as Canada if they are successful, just like Catalans, and the rfl is spending zero dollars on it so it's hardly a risky or bold venture on their part really. A few flatcaps have whinged about how semi pro clubs can manage to get their players to Toronto one weekend a year, but the vast majority of league 1 clubs, players and fans seem to not only accept it but are excited by it. And why wouldn't they be? It could actually be a way to help recruit players. Play for us and get a trip to Canada. That would be very attractive to some potential players and might be enough to sway someone who would otherwise play in the championship, NCL or go to union. And getting a few days off work to do it once a year with plenty of notice is hardly difficult for most. They'll only be in league 1 for one year anyway.

I think it's great the wolf pack coming in but Hang on. ..theyre not in superleague..they're 2 divisions lower....so comparing like for like theyve just entered ron massey cup or brisbane division 1..... not really any different to what nrl is doing with Fiji and others into nsw cup 2018 or png hunters in q cup. Sure it's not the way everyone wants to expand but there's no need to make shit up just to bag something and think we're right.
The Wolf Pack can be in Super League within 2 seasons with promotiom. How long do you think it will be before we see a Fijian side in the NRL, or come to it when do you think we will see another team from anywhere in the NRL?

Pommy

Coach

flamin

Juniors
Premier Sports already broadcast the NHL so there should be a few Canadians in the U.K. who already have it.

Pommy

Coach
My only hope is they aren't put off by seeing them play at a lower standard than what they will hopefully be playing in a few years.

Panfas

Juniors
Fui has played:

201 NRL games for Parramatta
45 games for Leigh
8 games for Tonga
12 games for New Zealand

Yes he is getting old (37) but is a fantastic signing with a wealth of experience. Exactly what they need.

adamkungl

Immortal
Professional RL in 4 countries*
*Including tests for NZ but not Tonga

Pity he never had a crack in France!

Teddyboy

First Grade
Eric Perez is the best thing to happen to international rugby league. If the Toronto Wolfpack is successful, which includes getting promoted to Super League -- and I believe it will be -- then Eric Perez should be invited to run Super League.
And buy out the CFL as at least there players would have an added international sense to there game.

T-Boon

Coach
Love the name as well. Wolfpack.
In the NRL we would have gotten all confused by that because its not really an animal and is more than one word so lets just call them the Wolves.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Surely FOX with its new 24 hour channel will jump on board and broadcast their games as well! So keen! the journey will be so good to follow!!

Pommy

Coach
Love the name as well. Wolfpack.
In the NRL we would have gotten all confused by that because its not really an animal and is more than one word so lets just call them the Wolves.

Although there's already a SL team called Wolves so the naming is kind of stupid.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/ne...ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Eric Perez is in charge of one of the unlikeliest sporting ventures on the planet - and is dreaming even bigger.

Perez is the man behind the Toronto Wolfpack, the first trans-Atlantic sports franchise which will compete in the Championship League One (the third tier of British rugby league) next season.

It's an audacious project, with 11,000km round trips for away games. But he's not stopping there.

Perez can see a future with a second Canadian team, based in Montreal, and also the possibility of league franchises in the United States.

"We have big aims but there is no reason why it won't happen," Perez told the Herald on Sunday. "We hope to have a Montreal team under way in the next few years and by the [2025] World Cup, teams in Boston and New York.

"Rugby league is such an exciting sport. People who grow up with it take it for granted.

I'm confident it can be a big hit in North America."

In England, the Wolfpack is viewed as an exciting development. The sport has plateaued there in recent times, as rugby enjoys excellent growth, and no longer attracts the best overseas talent it did a decade or so ago.

The recent demise of former Super League powerhouse Bradford (currently in administration) is another concern, and other second and third-tier clubs are treading water.

The Toronto franchise could be the boost the sport needs. The organisation is backed by Australian mining magnate David Argyle, as well as several other investors. They initially applied to join Super League directly - but were turned down - so will start at the semi-professional level of Championship League One, against the likes of the South Wales Ironmen, Coventry Bears and Whitehaven. At this level, many players are part-time, and a crowd of more than one or two thousand is a bumper gate.

As a condition of their entry, the Wolfpack had to agree to pay the travel and accommodation costs of the other 11 clubs for the games in Canada.

But compared with Super Rugby's Sunwolves, the Wolfpack have a smarter schedule. They'll be based in England for a month at a time, playing away games, before returning to Canada for four-week blocks of home matches.

It's an unlikely venture, as Canada has little pedigree in league, but the initial signs are promising. According to Perez, they have sold almost half their season tickets already and expect to have near-full houses (capacity 10,000) during the season.

Perez's league dream began six years ago. Sitting in a Birmingham hotel on a business trip to England, he came across Super League while channel surfing.

"I thought 'this is the greatest sport that's never been in Canada' and that's how it all started," said Perez.

Perez helped to re-establish the Canada Rugby League, which had folded in 2000, and organise games against the United States and Jamaica. He was the ultimate jack of all trades, even filming and hosting the small-scale coverage of Canada's test matches. Perez says league has made encouraging progress in Canada, with the national team drawing crowds of more than 5000.

"Canadians find it really easy to understand, as do North Americans in general because it's so close to [American and Canadian] football," said Perez. "It's not a difficult sport to pick up. Canadian football is a direct derivative of rugby league - Canadians watch a few sets and know basically what is going on."

The Wolfpack, whose colours are based on the All Blacks according to Perez, are on a mission to grow the sport in the region.

Their director of rugby is former Great Britain player and coach Brian Noble, and former St Helens and Warrington forward Adam Fogerty recently spent two weeks in the US and Jamaica scouting for players.

"It was unbelievable in Kingston," said Noble. "There is so much raw talent there. The same in Tampa, with ex-college football players and rugby players. If we can teach them the basics, they could be anything."

The Wolfpack are bringing 18 players from the recent tryouts to England in December for further trials and hope to sign "two or three".

"We want to provide another pathway into professional sport," said Noble. "Only a tiny minority make it to the NFL. Maybe we can be an alternative."

Perez wants to take the Wolfpack all the way to Super League, ultimately targeting Australian and New Zealand players for their roster.

There is a sense of excitement about the team and they have already booked glamour pre-season friendlies against Challenge Cup winners Hull and Super League champions Wigan.

"We have big goals, so why not start with the best? That's where we want to end up," said Noble.

Promotion is tipped within the first year and arrival in Super League within three or four years. The timing is also good, coinciding with the recent awarding of the 2025 League World Cup to the US and Canada.

"It's been a long road," said Perez. "I built it from nothing, which is not the easiest thing to do, but every day that goes by, the dream is realised more."

http://missoulian.com/sports/local/...cle_1a0fb06d-b358-5999-88bc-f020f8c5a505.html

At one time about a decade ago, diminutive Drummond was the epicenter of youth rugby in the state of Montana and home to a state championship-caliber squad of newbies that grew out of the dust along Interstate 90.

Drummond Trojans RFC has since vanished, but that club of largely offseason football players was just the launching point for Casey Clark. Now a 26-year-old well-traveled pro, rugby has taken Clark to the corners of the United States and around the globe.

On his latest adventure -- after playing in Australia and New Zealand, Jacksonville and Philadelphia, and of course with the USA Tomahawks (now just the Hawks) -- Clark visited the United Kingdom for a run at a spot with the Toronto Wolfpack, the first English Rugby League club based in North America.

Clark earned a tryout through the Wolfpack's "Last Tackle" docu-series this month, which follows the path of 18 pro hopefuls.

"He's a tough kid and he's got what's needed," said Wolfpack club director Adam Fogerty, calling Clark a hard-working "proper cowboy."

"He had a tough tryout, but we're holding a third tryout down the way so he's not going anyway yet. A lot of Division I clubs over here that would love to have him."

Clark, a second-row forward, dropped in to catch up with the Missoulian while back Stateside for the Christmas holiday.

Q. Tell me about the Toronto Wolfpack.

A. The buzz around the Toronto team started at the beginning of this year. One of the guys that's an administrator for the team, he was at a game that the USA had against Jamaica that I played in this summer. ... They organized one of the tryouts to be in Philadelphia, but I'd injured my knee and wasn't able to do any of the drills. I still talked to the coaches, though.

Q. And that sort of led into this latest tryout?

A. Yeah, they picked me and 17 other guys to go to England last month and we were over there through last week.

Q. This was no ordinary tryout either. Tell me about the Last Tackle aspect of it.

A. It was a lot of fun. The reason they had all these tryouts is because they're doing a docu-series, basically a reality show, about the creation and development of the Toronto Wolfpack. ... Us going over there, it showed the progression that we had going from tryouts in the U.S., Canada and Jamaica and then training for a week in England with the coaches of the Toronto team -- Paul Rowley, Brian Noble, Simon Finnigan and Haggy (Kurt Haggerty).

Q. So how'd you do?

A. They did the whole filming session on Monday about who's getting picked and who's not. They had the coaches sitting at a table and there's one chair and you come in and sit down ...

Q. Oh man, the whole reality show treatment!

A. The first thing you learn about guys like Paul and Brian Noble is they're really no nonsense. They said, "We're not gonna beat around the bush, you've not been selected." Three of the 18 guys got selected. ... They're supposed to have another tryout in Toronto in six weeks, maybe because the conditions we were playing in in England were pretty bad, real muddy and everyone was slipping around. It didn't make for a very good display of skill.

Q. So maybe that next?

A. I didn't get selected but there's other opportunities. I'm looking into a couple different clubs to play for in England next season.

Q. So this seems very unique, to have a team in a league that's on a different continent, correct?

A. Oh yeah. One of their selling points is this is the first trans-Atlantic sports team. You have other rugby union competitions that happen across the world, but that's more with international tests or national teams.

Get the latest sports news and scores sent to your email inbox

Q. So I'm gathering from your backstory, you make connections at each one of these stops playing with people from all over the place. It's all about being there and meeting people. Is that what opens up doors for you?

A. It's all about networking. You meet this person, they can get you in touch with the coach of some team. They can give you a place to stay or a job or whatever.

Q. Well, I imagine your passport is quite colorful at this point.

A. (laughs) Yeah, I've had my passport since I was 17 and it's got quite a few stamps. Lots of stamps, two visas and a bunch of other stuff. Also this year I got a British passport because I found out I was eligible for that because my dad was born in England when my grandpa was stationed over there with the Navy.

Q. Cool. Feels like a long way from Drummond, Montana, huh? How'd you get involved in rugby in the first place? Ten or 15 years ago I feel like there had to have been a lot less opportunity here.

A. (laughs) When I was a sophomore, my brother (Matt) started playing for the (Missoula) Maggots. I started going to the Maggot practices and played a season with the Maggots. Then my junior and senior year we started a (high school) team in Drummond. The Drummond team isn't around anymore. ... I pretty much just got all the football guys together (laughs).

Q. I mean it's kind of like football, but you were actually able to get enough kids out in Drummond to make a full squad? That's 8-man football territory.

A. At that time, our football team was (coming off a 45-game win streak and three straight Class C state titles). There were times we had 40 kids lined up on the sideline and somebody like Noxon would have their eight plus two (reserves).

Q. Got a favorite place you've ever played?

A. ... Australia was pretty fun. People seemed very much like they are here. People were laid back, still got some drunk idiots (laughs).

Q. When you're abroad, what do you miss most about living in Montana?

A. Probably just the space, the open space and the mountains. That laid-back sort of culture that they have here where you can just go outside and run around in the mountains. ... I'll bounce around all over the place, but this is home. My mail still gets delivered to my mom's house (laughs).

Perth Red

Post Whore
The odds are not in their favour but you never know they be the first expansion team in northern hemisphere to succeed?