What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolf-Pack in bid to rise to Super League

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/5b997b85111ea6a8f4ccede6743cfe08

RUGBY league’s Toronto Wolfpack has beaten the NFL to become the first trans-Atlantic sports team — and a one-time NFL hopeful hopes to join their charge into history.

When the Canadian outfit makes its debut in the Kingstone Press League 1 next season, they could be packing the added punch of Monte Gaddis, a college football linebacker turned rugby league second-rower from Cleveland.

“Man, I love it. It’s still football to me,” Gaddis said of his new-found code.

“We kick the ball, we tackle, we run the ball, so it’s still football in my eyes and I just love the way that we have six downs to get a try. It’s a similar game, just a lot quicker.”

Toronto’s emergence as the home to North America’s first professional rugby league team is a fascinating one.

While rugby league has the tendency to dream small and live within itself, the Wolfpack can’t help but be ambitious.

f518c97fa94a587b119695fffc02ad48

A former linebacker, Gaddis has fallen in love with rugby league.
The NFL has flirted with the idea of a team in London for years but they’ve been beaten to a piece of sporting history by a mob that will run around in the third tier of British rugby league.

Rugby league has been played in America since the 1980s and the USARL currently boasts a robust, 14-team competition. Canada has three competitions, one in Alberta, one in British Columbia and one in Ontario.

While their beginnings are humble, the Wolfpack represent an exciting, professional, possibility for the entire code.

Part of that possibility is Gaddis, who played college football at Towson University and professionally for the Gdynia Seahawks in Poland and in the Indoor Football League for the Iowa Barnstormers before the opportunity came up to trial for the Wolfpack.

When the 24-year old began he didn’t understand the difference between rugby league and rugby union. Now he can’t get enough of the 13-man game — and he reckons his fellow Americans can follow suit.

fa7cf88b200cbf2ec23dbfab283c40cd

The Wolfpack scored a win in their first ever match.
“I think that rugby league really has a chance to go well with the Canadians and Americans because it gives guys like me, football players, another outlet to impress and a chance to play football,” Gaddis said.

“It’s a very aggressive game (and) that’s what we love in America. Since we haven’t been playing it for so long I definitely think it has a chance to grow. I know for sure that I have open eyes with that.”

Gaddis is a player of uncommon drive — when he wanted a trial with the Cleveland Browns in 2015 he camped outside their practice facility until they gave him a shot — and he’s one of several former American football players who have had a go at this strange new game.

The Wolfpack have cast their net wide ahead of their 2017 debut, holding trials in Toronto, Philadelphia, Tampa, Kingston and Vancouver in an effort to cultivate homegrown talent for their first match against London Skolars in March.

Gaddis joined 17 other finalists to head to the UK in December for the Wolfpack’s first trial match, a clash with Brighouse Rangers, with the knowledge that a good performance could be enough to earn a roster spot.

Like many of the trialists, Gaddis is still finding his way with the skills side of the game. But he loves the contact and the collisions and relishes the constant intensity.

“I’m still a student of the game so I’m still learning a lot of things every day,” he said. “Learning game IQ and having experience is probably the hardest part.

“The different tackling too, I find I have to tackle more fundamentally with technique and up a little higher rather than the football equivalent where I could just dive at someone’s legs or just lunge at someone.

“It (the tour) was what I expected and a little more. But the training was awesome. I love how intense it always this. I’m trying to take rugby league very far.”

POWER RANKINGS: Who is the top dummy half?

PREDICTIONS: What will happen in 2017?

Coming off the bench and playing second-row in the 28-26 comeback win, this was the first game of rugby league Gaddis had played in his entire life.

“Once I got in I made sure I didn’t have any missed tackles, coming into the game with impact,” Gaddis said.

“(I was) telling the coach my strong points were my defensive standpoints, putting pressure on the kicks, coming down and tackling off the kick-offs and hyping my players up.

“I really didn’t get a chance to run the ball as much as I wanted to but that’s a play that’s going to happen once I get more game experience.”

The majority of the team’s roster has come from England. Wakefield winger Craig Hall, Sheffield Eagles fullback Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e and Warrington pair James Laithwaite and Gary Wheeler are the marquee signings thus far but the star of the show will be Fuifui Moimoi.

Even though he’s 36, Moimoi is a cult hero waiting to happen and after two years with Leigh Centurions he’s followed coach Paul Rowley to Toronto.

0fa76920bd75e35c3e34e5fbb705b668

Moimoi is the Wolfpack’s star signing.
Moimoi and Gaddis also hit it off straight away during the development tour to England.

“That’s a legend right there. I want to give him thanks because he’s been a big part of my inspiration with the rugby league,” Gaddis said.

“I’ve been watching his highlights and when I first got a chance to meet him we hit it off, we’re something like almost best friends even though I’ve only known him for a couple of weeks.

“He really loves me and my personality and the way I work hard.”

Of the 18 who went to England, three were offered a contract but Gaddis missed out.

Quinn Ngawati, formerly of the British Columbia Bulldogs, Jacksonville Axemen second-rower Joe Eichner and Nathan Campbell, who had been running around for the Duhaney Park Red Sharks in Jamaica, got the call instead.

Gaddis isn’t discouraged. He has another tryout for the Wolfpack lined up in a couple of months

Gaddis is now a rugby league man and therein lays the true potential of the Wolfpack.

Former Great Britain coach Brian Noble, who has joined the club as their director of rugby, once said “everyone loves rugby league, we just need to show them” and the Wolfpack give the game a consistent visibility and high-level presence in a part of the rugby league world that has never had it before.

Earning even the tiniest slice of the vast and untapped North American market would be an incredible boost for the game, especially with the ambitious decision to take the 2025 World Cup to this brave new world.

It won’t happen overnight, but the Wolfpack are a team of endless possibilities.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
This is what can in the future set the ESL apart from the NRL. With the likes of Toulouse and the Wolfpack both expanding (or recovering) leagues territory through promotion relegation system it adds something different. The ESL could quite conceivably be made up of 9 English teams 2 french teams, a Canadian team and have a welsh team knocking on it's door within a couple of years. NRL should have a second NZ team and should have made sure the FIJI side made it into the NSW cup at least for 2017. The NRL lacks of real vision!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Catalans have done alright.

Catalans are a RL heartland side not an expansion team.

Celtic Crusaders
London Broncos
Paris SG
Sheffield Eagles
Gateshead Thunder

The SL has a trail of expansion disasters in its wake and not one success.

Heritage XIII

Juniors

Celtic Crusaders
London Broncos
Paris SG
Sheffield Eagles
Gateshead Thunder

The SL has a trail of expansion disasters in its wake and not one success.

But to the game's credit all but Paris SG still survive. Thunder are doing well in the bigger city of Newcastle, Broncos are becoming more stable, Eagles fingers crossed will get this major funding in place to continue well into the future & Crusaders are still in Wrexham

roughyedspud

Coach

Celtic Crusaders- still there
London Broncos - still there
Paris SG - but catalan have thrived
Sheffield Eagles - still there
Gateshead Thunder - still there

Edited !

But what was your point??

Perth Red

Post Whore
That SL has failed miserably to get a club outside rl heartlands to survive. Toronto may be the first or the latest in a long line of failures. Time will tell.

Golden point

Juniors
That SL has failed miserably to get a club outside rl heartlands to survive. Toronto may be the first or the latest in a long line of failures. Time will tell.
I think the key is to grow local supporter base first then try a professional team .not the other way around. Toronto seem to be on that path.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strange comment from a man who keeps going on about putting a NRL club in Perth

If Toronto was reflective of Perth; 20k crowds, decent stadium, corporates lined up, strong jnr programs with record of producing 1st grade players etc etc then you might have a point but as they are chalk and cheese you don't.

I hope they are successful, I would love to see a SL with 2 French clubs, a Canadian and USA club, a welsh club, a cumbrian club and London back in. But history doesn't bode well that I ever will.

Golden point

Juniors
If Toronto was reflective of Perth; 20k crowds, decent stadium, corporates lined up, strong jnr programs with record of producing 1st grade players etc etc then you might have a point but as they are chalk and cheese you don't.

I hope they are successful, I would love to see a SL with 2 French clubs, a Canadian and USA club, a welsh club, a cumbrian club and London back in. But history doesn't bode well that I ever will.
NRL and sl are completely different. The storm run a deficit but they are getting a trusty support base and that in a city that despises rl. Perth already proved a success with the reds. SL is by no means in financial position to prop sides up. And that is why the wolfpack will do ok because they have financial backing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So do Salford, as did London. How are those working out? Clubs will survive or fail on mostly two things: Number of fans and level of corporate support. Clubs relying on owners are one board room argument or dodgy investment away from strife.

adamkungl

Immortal
Storm have shown fans will gradually take interest and numbers will increase over years if given a successful squad.
Someone needs to invest long term in London - who? I don't know. Not the RFL with their current gameplan, very hard to prop up select teams if you're running a fair P&R system.

How would fans react if teams outside heartlands were given an 'expansion bonus' on top of their normal funding? Not well i'd expect.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Storm have shown fans will gradually take interest and numbers will increase over years if given a successful squad.
Someone needs to invest long term in London - who? I don't know. Not the RFL with their current gameplan, very hard to prop up select teams if you're running a fair P&R system.

How would fans react if teams outside heartlands were given an 'expansion bonus' on top of their normal funding? Not well i'd expect.
You expect right.

London have had ample funding for years, their current owner has poured millions into the club. He just had/has NFI what he's doing.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
But to the game's credit all but Paris SG still survive. Thunder are doing well in the bigger city of Newcastle, Broncos are becoming more stable, Eagles fingers crossed will get this major funding in place to continue well into the future & Crusaders are still in Wrexham
I couldn't agree more. The clubs more or less still exist bar paris and have the same opportunities to gain promotion as any other. Failures, no, failure is dying off completely with no hope of ever returning. Every one of these clubs as was stated bar PSG have a chance to play in SL again. Who knows, if some do the hard yakka for a few years they might build themselves a decent base where they can have a proper crack at the SL again.

Sjrugby

Juniors
Any word on how we can watch wolfpack games once the season. Starts here in N.America and also in the US.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Any word on how we can watch wolfpack games once the season. Starts here in N.America and also in the US.

Wolfpack CEO Perez said recently they are still in negotations with TV networks in North America, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Sjrugby

Juniors
Really hoping it's Fox sports. Only because they do seem like the only logical choice. Them or if not probably espn3