What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolfpack in League 1

8Ball

First Grade
On the financial side of things, I believe that Air Transat (their major sponsor) is covering all travel expenses for the first 3 years. That's a little breathing room.

Also, I think its interesting that they signed Ryan Brierley and Ryan Bailey well after their season kicked off. They've also mentioned that their biggest expense is their squad. I can't see why they'd do so if their expenses were above what was budgeted for, since they were already smashing every side off the park.

They're also getting a decent cash injection from merchandise. It is obvious when they pan the crowd, that plenty of people are getting supporter gear. This was the line outside the shop before their first game. From all reports people kept coming and going, and they ran outta hats:

C_b_S7pWAAEskQZ.jpg

None of these things mean that they aren't running at a loss, but their expenses are probably within what they forecasted at this early stage.

There's nothing more exciting going on in the world of international rugby league right now. Hopefully, rugby league doesn't shoot itself in its foot like it so often does.

I also mentioned this in another post. To us as long time rugby league fans, these floggings aren't good. But imagine if you are a Canadian exposed to this sport for the first time. You hear of a Toronto team dishing out weekly smashings. It'd likely make you more curious to see it. You then hear that they're fighting for promotion, and that there are bigger foes to face in the future. It may have the opposite effect of creating more or a groundswell of interest. It's a different sporting culture over there. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Only the Americans are born and bred.

The only two Canadians are still not mentioned, or Nathan Campbell.

Or the American born Veve either.

Tigers1986

Juniors
I know the L1 teams would whinge but after the Toulouse canter, you'd think for the legitimacy of the competition they'd make a pass. The old argument of a straight swap for Bradford rears its head again.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
"It’s hard to say if pro rugby will catch on in Toronto""

What a great result. I wonder if anyone in the team will make the international stage and play against the Wallabies or the All Black...

This f*cking sport! we finally get our occasional good-news story and it all goes to Union because we are too proud/stupid/pigheaded to use a different name to our main competitor. (a competitor whose sport is indistinguishable to anyone not already a fan, a competitor whose purpose in life seems to be to wipe RL off the face of the earth)

Im sure World Rugby is loving this team....

Arucard

Juniors

What a great result. I wonder if anyone in the team will make the international stage and play against the Wallabies or the All Black...

This f*cking sport! we finally get our occasional good-news story and it all goes to Union because we are too proud/stupid/pigheaded to use a different name to our main competitor. (a competitor whose sport is indistinguishable to anyone not already a fan, a competitor whose purpose in life seems to be to wipe RL off the face of the earth)

What're you whining about?
Rugby League is rugby....... wtf.

Pommy

Coach

I grew up always calling it rugby I'm not sure what your problem is.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What're you whining about?
Rugby League is rugby....... wtf.

Factually correct, but as long as we continue to call the sport Rugby Competition, everyone is going to think we are just a Rugby competition.

I will never understand why we actively choose to sit in Unions shadow and let them claim any good news story we muster....

adamkungl

Immortal
Wonder if the people who think they shouldn't be in League One appreciate the fact that one Wolfpack game seems to be worth more than the rest of their home season combined..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Factually correct, but as long as we continue to call the sport Rugby Competition, everyone is going to think we are just a Rugby competition.

I will never understand why we actively choose to sit in Unions shadow and let them claim any good news story we muster....

The Toronto boss Eric Perez will set people straight, he clearly knows the difference and which he prefers.Also knows the history of union trying to supress league.

Latest posts