What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolfpack in League 1

deluded pom?

Coach
The scoreline doesn't do Coventry justice for their efforts. The Coventry outside backs' pace caused the Wolfpack a few problems and they put in a decent defensive stint despite what the score may say. Late scores at the end of each half made the score lop sided. There were only two genuine Americans in Wolfpack shirts, Burroughs and Eichner.

Pommy

Coach
Another good read. How many Canadians are really hearing about the woofpack ? I'd interests still growing ? The crowds seem to all be around 7,000 or so.

It's probably not the same 7000 every game. It's still a lot more than any other team in that league is attracting.

Pommy

Coach
Very true, just hoping this can take that next level and not stall.

Hopefully but at this standard I don't know how big it can get.
If people are going and enjoying word of mouth and the prospect of a step up in ability next year can only be helping

T-Boon

Coach
I grew up always calling it rugby I'm not sure what your problem is.

I'd say his problem is that unlike the people of England the people of Canada probably don't even know there is more than one code of rugby so when they hear rugby they sensibly think "I know Rugby. Puke I hate the ruck and maul and all the goal kicking, too many players on the field the ball goes missing for minutes at a time - lets not listen".
First impressions aren't good.
It would be nice if we could sit down and explain to each of them individually that we are a different sport. Still I think they would be like "but you have the same name - WTF?"
Then we could explain yeah we forgot to keep evolving we kept the name, we even kept the scrum even though it is the dumbest part of the sport.

latingringo101

Juniors
Another great crowd from the Wolfpack, definitely starting to create their footmark in Canadian sporting scene.

I think once they are more successful people will start to know the difference between Traditional Rugby and the "One the Wolfpack play".

8Ball

First Grade
The scoreline doesn't do Coventry justice for their efforts. The Coventry outside backs' pace caused the Wolfpack a few problems and they put in a decent defensive stint despite what the score may say. Late scores at the end of each half made the score lop sided. There were only two genuine Americans in Wolfpack shirts, Burroughs and Eichner.

I quite like watching wolfpack games. Some of the games have been absolute bludgers, but some have been quite good like the Coventry game. Some old fashioned rugby league with old fashioned tactics to try and put off the obviously superior team.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The Toronto boss Eric Perez will set people straight, he clearly knows the difference and which he prefers.Also knows the history of union trying to supress league.

Why do we expect new fans to understand the nuance of RL/RU history before they even care about the sport?

Ive studied/worked in China, SE Asia and half a dozen European countries. Every time Origin is on, I corral a bunch of locals and force them to sit through the game. The common response is "This Rugby is great. There a All Blacks game on soon, yes?"

To which the best response currently is: "While the names ARE identical, this is actually an entirely different sport to the other Rugby. In 1895 the working-class Rugby players in Northern England decided they should be paid for the games they played, so they broke away to form their own competition. They also took this opportunity to change some of the rules to make the game more entertaining and exciting, thus creating a sport that has acted independently for over 100 years now"

Wouldnt it be a f*cktonne easier to just say "Nah, the All Blacks play Rugby. This is *insert literally any other name here*"

You cant expect people to understand that RL is different to RU when it takes a f*cking slideshow to even explain the name......

deluded pom?

Coach
South Wales Ironmen 0 v Toronto Wolfpack 66. SWI started off wel keeping the score down to 12-0 after half an hour in atrocious conditions. It rained all day during a match played on 4G. Once again the floodgates opened late in the half with three late tries. Eight more tries followed in the second half. The Wolfpack are now on 20 points from 10 games.

adamkungl

Immortal
To which the best response currently is: "While the names ARE identical, this is actually an entirely different sport to the other Rugby. In 1895 the working-class Rugby players in Northern England decided they should be paid for the games they played, so they broke away to form their own competition. They also took this opportunity to change some of the rules to make the game more entertaining and exciting, thus creating a sport that has acted independently for over 100 years now"

"There are 2 types of Rugby."

8Ball

First Grade
McCrone set to join Wolfpack
Thu 15 Jun, 2017, 10:00am
Brad Walter, Chief Correspondent RLWC2017, NRL.com

Dragons halfback Josh McCrone looks set to depart the club at season's end. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Josh McCrone appears set to partner Scotland playmaker Ryan Brierley in the halves for Toronto Wolfpack next season as the ambitious Canadian club continues its drive towards Super League promotion.

McCrone, who has played alongside England five-eighth Gareth Widdop for the past two seasons at St George Illawarra, is edging closer to finalising a deal which would make him the face of the world’s first trans-Atlantic professional sporting team.

Besides Brierly, who is expected to be the Bravehearts halfback at this year’s Rugby League World Cup, the Wolfpack boast a number of players from the US Hawks squad - headed by fullback Ryan Burroughs, who played for Parramatta’s feeder club Wentworthville last season.

Ireland hooker Bob Beswick, former New Zealand and Tonga front rower Fuifui Moimoi and Canadian international Rhys Jacks, the brother of Melbourne Storm five-eighth Ryley Jacks, also play for Wolfpack.

But McCrone would be the biggest signing yet for the new club, who are almost certain to gain promotion from League One to the English Championship after scoring 602 points and conceding just 85 to be undefeated in their 10 games so far.

While McCrone has not yet agreed to the move, it is understood he is attracted by the opportunity to be a trailblazer if the Wolfpack fulfil their stated ambition to qualify for Super League in 2019.

The 30-year-old former NSW Country Origin representative has been an integral part of the Dragons side for the past two seasons since shifting from Canberra, where he played 133 matches in seven years.

He has played 20 NRL matches for St George Illawarra but the arrival of Ben Hunt from Brisbane next season has left McCrone considering his options and Toronto have emerged as surprise favourites for his services.

The Wolfpack, whose matches are broadcast in the UK and Canada, have been attracting been attracting crowds of more than 7,000 for their home games at Lamport Stadium in Toronto.

http://www.nrl.com/mccrone-set-to-join-wolfpack/tabid/10874/newsid/108929/default.aspx

It would be nice if we could sit down and explain to each of them individually that we are a different sport. Still I think they would be like "but you have the same name - WTF?"

If you explained that it's similar to hockey and hockey, they might be able to get their heads around it.

hutch

First Grade
Their Canadian player is on his way to them this week. Think he just finished school.
Pretty sure all of the others they signed after the documentary were released. Can anybody confirm how many actual North Americans are contracted?

deluded pom?

Coach
Their Canadian player is on his way to them this week. Think he just finished school.
Pretty sure all of the others they signed after the documentary were released. Can anybody confirm how many actual North Americans are contracted?
As far as I'm aware it's only Burroughs and Eichner, unless you want to include the Aussie raised heritage Canadians?

Latest posts