What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough Mudder

Snoochies

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ustralian-shores/story-e6freuzi-1226252779024

Are you hard enough to go commando? Tough Mudder hits Australian shores
  • 776842-tough-muddler.jpg

Tough Mudder...the Radioactive Jacuzzi. The entire event requires participants to complete a gruelling 20km course, comprising running and a series of military-style obstacles. They include rope climbs, overhead traverses and a run through an electrified field of wires up to 10,000V. Show More Source: The Daily Telegraph

776845-tough-muddler.jpg

Tough Mudder...the Radioactive Jacuzzi. The entire event requires participants to complete a gruelling 20km course, comprising running and a series of military-style obstacles. They include rope climbs, overhead traverses and a run through an electrified field of wires up to 10,000V. Show More Source: The Daily Telegraph

< Prev
    2 of 2
    Next >

FIELDS of fire, electrified cables and barbed wire fences, rivers of mud, and a 20km run through wild terrain.

It's not an escape route from a maximum security prison - this is what some people consider a fun day out with friends.
Tough Mudder, a gruelling combination of endurance running and military-style obstacles, is the latest form of extreme racing to hit Australian shores.
Thousands of people have already signed up for events in Victoria in late March and Sydney in September.
US-based organiser Alexander Patterson said the idea was to offer people looking for a challenge an alternative to marathons and triathlon events.
"We're trying to mix it up a bit with dirty, military-style obstacles that have you crawling under barbed wire, over 10-foot walls, into pools of iced water and through electric wires," he said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Recommended Coverage

Tough Mudder Event

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Paying entry fees of $90 to $150 to get zapped by high-voltage wires while covered head-to-foot in mud is not everyone's idea of fun.
But Mr Patterson said many people - office workers especially - wanted physical challenges that everyday life doesn't provide.
"People aren't necessarily paying money to get electrocuted - they're paying the money for the experience and the build-up and the anticipation of thinking about this crazy thing they're going to do," he said.
About 75 per cent of competitors are male and most are aged between 20 and 40. But women have proved as successful as men and people aged over 80 have completed the course.
"People seem to have a switch in their head with something like this," Mr Patterson said.
"They hear about it and that switch either flips and says 'yes', or it flips and says 'hell no'."

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yeah right after I remove my balls from a vice, whip myself six times then walk on razor blades.

fun, fun, fun.

Apey

Staff member
Just saw this today.

I am so incredibly out of shape & unfit at the moment however this looks so awesome that I'm tempted to use it as motivation and attend the Brisbane one in 2013..

Im in. I am also keen to try some urbanathalons. They are becoming quite popular. Basically they are 10-15km runs with about 10 obstacles that need to be negotiated.

Danish

Referee
I've decided to switch to the feb'13 date instead of the september one. Largely because the sydney marathon is on the week before and I dont want to miss that for this.

Be interested to hear how people go in this to work out what I'll need to do for training.

Fire

First Grade
...the shit white people come up with when they've got too much time on their hands.

Snoochies

First Grade