What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough Mudder

Danish

Referee
f**king heaps, although at least they all seemed to be actually having a crack (albeit at a very slow pace).

The people that shit me were the absolute piles of wankers dressed in their boot camp shirts and full body skins, literally just walking the course. You start in waves every 20 mins, and by km 2 we'd already caught up to the group ahead of us, then kept catching groups every 1-2km till the end.

At about the 15km mark we jogged passed a group of what looked to be quite fit dudes in matching team shirts (had their own logo and nicknames on the back and everything :roll:) walking along with one shouting, "Thats 3 hours boys. Going along at a great pace lets go!". even saw a group of about 15 people sitting on the side of the course having a bloody packed lunch!

Just can't understand the thought process in entering an event like this only to stroll through it like a bloody bush walk.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Ill be doing the Brissy/SC one in August. Ill be slow as f**k as endurance has never been my strong suit but f**ked if ill be taking it easy.

My Mrs work is paying for it and making up T-shirts etc so Im sure there will be some wankers amongst them considering they are mostly BDMs in the financial sector.

Danish

Referee
I don't mind the matching shirts, the bro-in-law and me had matching singlets for example and I saw plenty of corporate shirts etc. Its the people that had their matching boot camp type shirts with "NO LIMITS!!" or "PAIN IS TEMPORARY!!!" type bullshit all over them but then just chatting and walking the course that shit me.

Similarly I don't mind slow people, saw plenty having to walk because they simply lacked the cardio for it (20km on a flat track is no picnic. 20km through steep bush terrain is a bloody nightmare). Again its only those that were not even attempting to push themselves and were just strolling along barely breaking a sweat that I found annoying.

Thomas

First Grade
I'm probably going to do it this year, providing my calf issues are fixed. I'll be, uh, wearing a tu-tu.

I'm the only bloke in a team full of hard women.

Apey

Staff member
I'm thinking about giving it a go in the future. I've been extremely unfit without being overweight for a long time but the last few months I've started getting my act together and am working on my fitness. I find it easier when you have goals like Tough Mudder to work towards.

Danish/others, did you find you had any issues with your upper body strength or was it alright?

Red Bear

Referee
I'm thinking about giving it a go in the future. I've been extremely unfit without being overweight for a long time but the last few months I've started getting my act together and am working on my fitness. I find it easier when you have goals like Tough Mudder to work towards.

Danish/others, did you find you had any issues with your upper body strength or was it alright?
My training when I did was pretty much my normal running training + I'd been doing a bit of indoor climbing. That covered most strenght stuff. I was fortunate the mates I did tm with were all about half a foot or more taller than me, helped in the 12 foot wall. I fell off the monkey bars, copped a slippery one straight away.

But yeah you should be right

Danish

Referee

I've probably a grand total of about 100 push ups the past 2 years... that would just about sum up my entire resistence training in that time :lol:

Despite this I had no worries with any of hte upper body stuff. The berlin walls were the toughest part but I managed to get over without assistance. Being a little bloke I was able to just swing a leg up over it instead of trying to pull myself up by the arms.

Like Red Bear I slipped on the monkey bars (managed to get 3 in before one of them twisted in my hand... honestly what is the point of them loosening and greasing them?) but other than those 2 the upper body stuff was never a problem.

Really if you can manage about 10 pull ups and 20 push ups you would be over qualified IMO

Frailty

First Grade
Just did the last tough mudder.

Had an awesome time. Was with three mates who weren't as fit as me, so I wasn't pushing it as hard as I could go to ensure we stayed together as a group.

Anyone considering it should absolutely do it. Do it at your pace, and enjoy the challenge. I had a lot of fun.

Snoochies

First Grade
Great day. Had a blast. Nailed every obstacle so very happy. Apparently we ran the same time, did you skip the long mud treck or go through it. Was a long wait.

Joker's Wild

Coach
We did the whole length of the mud mile, sapped me good and proper. I got most of the way across the monkey bars until my left hand gave way but i needed a dunk anyway lol

Stayed at the top of Everest for a solid 20mins too helping people up and over. Heaps of fun

Saint Anger

Juniors
I'm in Bathurst for the next Sydney one, but signing up for the 2014 run.

There are other smaller (5k-10k) mud run events between now and then that people can do to warm up to Tough Mudder.

Latest posts