What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulose get a "b" grading according to sky

nadera78

Juniors
The boots 'n' all gradings have been notoriously dubious, Angela Powers seems to give points on arbritary notions rather than hard and fast facts.

However, if the Toulouse bid is as good as suggested and gets a 'B' rating then they will be in the comp. There sure as hell aren't fourteen other clubs out there that will beat, or even equal, that score. Plus, things may have been different in the past, when certain other officials were embedded at the RFL, but I really do not think Richard Lewis is the kind of man to ignore the results just to suit his own agenda. He has only ever worked in a positive manner for the sport as a whole.

screeny

Bench
The only contender I would consider as a certainty would be Salford, due to Manchester and the stadium. I wouldn't know which of the current 12 are in trouble but I guess you'd have to point your finger at Cas and Wakey due to locale. If you swap one of them with Salford then it's two from TO, CC and the Chemics.

Really tough choice but I'm so glad the game is in a position to be making such choices...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
We've all mentioned it before, but isn't it a shame they don't go to 16 teams?

You could keep both Wakey and Cas who both have very good support, plus add Toulouse, Celtic, Widnes and Salford.

Now on to a team I have always liked, Hull KR, I hope this team doesn't go down, they are def one of the shinning lights of SL, 3-4 years ago, they had 1,500 turning to support them after a fair few years down and out, they start to get it right off the field and the crowds started coming back, when they got the on field going well, look what happened, their stadium isn't big enough for them now, I'd hate to see this club go down to NL1 as they have done heaps for RL since they came good.

When they were promoted, the BBC who ignores RL generally even came out and stated " the biggest name in RL" is back, much to Hull FC and Wigan fans gnashing of teeth, yeah we all know those other teams are huge in the RL world, but Hull KR do bring that something different, I just hope they stay in SL.

Lets hope that of these teams mentioned, whomever misses out this time, gets in next time, but it's still a shame that some will miss out.

We've all mentioned it before, but isn't it a shame they don't go to 16 teams?

You could keep both Wakey and Cas who both have very good support, plus add Toulouse, Celtic, Widnes and Salford.

Now on to a team I have always liked, Hull KR, I hope this team doesn't go down, they are def one of the shinning lights of SL, 3-4 years ago, they had 1,500 turning to support them after a fair few years down and out, they start to get it right off the field and the crowds started coming back, when they got the on field going well, look what happened, their stadium isn't big enough for them now, I'd hate to see this club go down to NL1 as they have done heaps for RL since they came good.

When they were promoted, the BBC who ignores RL generally even came out and stated " the biggest name in RL" is back, much to Hull FC and Wigan fans gnashing of teeth, yeah we all know those other teams are huge in the RL world, but Hull KR do bring that something different, I just hope they stay in SL.

Lets hope that of these teams mentioned, whomever misses out this time, gets in next time, but it's still a shame that some will miss out.

i agree it should be 16.

none of the current SL clubs are doing a bad job really and the 4 main contenders deserve to be there.

id approve 16 teams now, but let in 2 in 2009, and the other 2 in 2012 and not look at the SL situation until 2017. by telling teams they are in now but arent coming in till 2012 gives them a few years to get sorted out first.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
i agree it should be 16.

none of the current SL clubs are doing a bad job really and the 4 main contenders deserve to be there.

id approve 16 teams now, but let in 2 in 2009, and the other 2 in 2012 and not look at the SL situation until 2017. by telling teams they are in now but arent coming in till 2012 gives them a few years to get sorted out first.

Yeah, I'd let them in too, but the only thing that would stop me wanting it is if the game suffers because 1-2 or 3 teams are absolute garbage every week and have 60-70 or even 80 put past them regularly, more teams the better, but you don't want the product to suffer, so I guess the RFL are doing it right.

roughyedspud

Coach
16 teams is too many given that we have challenge cup games and a increasing amount of internationals that are likely after the world cup..

14 teams is spot on, 13 home,13 away + millennium magic + challenge cup..leaves enough room for a couple of mid season internationals....and we'd still play less games than we play now..which can only be a good thing imo

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
16 teams is too many given that we have challenge cup games and a increasing amount of internationals that are likely after the world cup..

14 teams is spot on, 13 home,13 away + millennium magic + challenge cup..leaves enough room for a couple of mid season internationals....and we'd still play less games than we play now..which can only be a good thing imo

You being a pom Rough (no offence) what teams would you like in the SL?

Are you for expansion, or culturally want it oop north only?

I'd love to see some famous old teams like the Roughyheads make it back, can you see any of these teams that are down now making it back?

roughyedspud

Coach
i'm all for expansion,i'd love both celtic & toulouse get franchises this time round..but sadly i can see only 1 of them getting in along with a "traditional" club..

do i want top see oldham back in super league (we are founder members)...?

one day,but not yet...been there,done that,got the winding up order..

our chairman & CeO have said we are going to apply in 2011 for the next round of franchises...incidentally,using skys point system which will be used for the 2011 franchise round oldham will have B status.....like toulouse..

but super league is'nt the be all and end all of rugby league in the UK...our immediate aim is to be the best national league club...and should contiune to be until we out grow the national league...then and only then should we think about super league..

dibviking

Juniors
For some reason this report hasn't found its way onto the Boots'n'All website... The last two franchise bids they reviewed was Leeds and Wigan.

because they havent been graded yet, someone posted a rumour that toulouse got a b and everyone believes it haha.

incidently when they are graded by sky all it is, is angie powers and skys opinion of how many points they think they get so it doesnt really mean much. look at the other scores and see what the other teams got

Th1rteen

Juniors
16 teams would be an absolutely awful decision:

1) Not enough money, remaining clubs would just not accept the huge drop in what they get from television. Remaining clubs could suffer because of the sudden drop in the amount of pie they get.

2) Not enough players. We do not want to make the competition worse and by adding 80 odd new players it would make the competition which could therefore create scorelines like Leeds 80-4 Celtic Crusaders or St Helens 78-2 Widnes. Thats if we use home-born players, but then clubs would probably look towards the NRL... and it doesn't help that there are new player quotas being introduced too.

3) Too many fixtures. We will have Challenge Cup matches, Millenium Magic, two tips to France, people want more Internationals and these extra fixtures would be too much for the players.

4) Not enough support. If anything does go wrong than the RFL won't have the resources to stop it. Even though I would call the Dragons "stable", I would not say the same thing about Harlequins - something could go wrong if the FC side pull out. Having to "monitar" Celtic Crusaders and Toulouse too could prove disasterous. The worst thing ever would be too have another Sheffield, or Gateshead, or Paris because that is when you put the Super League and the sport in this country in danger. And as we've seen with Widnes, not all heartlands clubs are healthy now. Although I doubt that will happen again with Widnes.

5) Collapse of National League One? Losing three teams would be a disaster for the competition and the Sky contract that the National League has done well to get could disappear. From my knowledge only Oldham and Barrow have the resources to replace them, but obviously are not as big as Widnes, Salford or the Crusaders for that matter.

You think that by adding the four "strongest contenders" into the League, everything will be all rosy, but it won't be. It will have the opposite effect and it could land the RFL and the FFR in alot of trouble.

In my opinion it is right to expand Super League now, although I think it is wrong to add more clubs in 2012.

London was always going to be a difficult target and I think Harlequins have done well with regards to players and junior clubs, but off the field things still need to be done. The amount of supporters they have has been rising, but this supporter base it not enough to get them a £4 million turnover (which, along with solvency, are the two most important criterias imo). To be honest I would be surprised if they were anywhere near that mark. Not owning their ground too makes them even more insecure. Having been to Toulouse it is a massive job they've got on their hands and they will need alot of help from the FFR for the first 3-4 years if that. Look at Catalans, only now are they steady off and on the pitch with sell-outs crowds, producing fantastic French players and in third place. And Celtic Crusaders will be an even bigger challenge in my opinion. They have work to do off and on the field with regards to turnover, ground work, more player development, bring in more fans plus I think Sky will be looking for a audience increase in South Wales. Alot of work to be done.

Potentially all three of those clubs could be in Super League in 2009, which I am not having a go at, but do you think these clubs will be getting £4m turnover by 2012? I don't think so. Do you think all three will be getting crowds of at least 10,000 by 2012? I very much doubt it. Do you think all three will be playing 70% junior home-grown squad? Harlequins perhaps, but the other two I'm not so sure. Heres one for you: do you think all three will still be around by 2012?

Until these targets are hit we should not be expanding the league again in 2012. I know that the RFL haven't officially said that they will increase to 15 or 16 teams in 2012, but they have stupidly revealed that they will be reassessing the situation in 2012, which makes fans and clubs believe that they will be changing the format, adding teams etc. And the ball gets rollin' What should happen is that after 2009, there should be no more expansion until all clubs are getting an A grade. At the moment, according to Boots And All, just four are currently getting that grade, although Wigan (salary cap), Bradford (salary cap) and Catalans (haven't been rated, but rapid growth) could be there very soon. You could say 5/12 or 6/12 is good work, but risky seeing as we are expanding. Lets make sure it's 14/14 before we expand again. Finito.

roughyedspud

Coach
the thing that everyone needs to remember is sky are grading teams on the 2012 criteria...not the 2009 criteria...

so in respect to the up coming decision,sky's grading means bugger all..

Yeah, I'd let them in too, but the only thing that would stop me wanting it is if the game suffers because 1-2 or 3 teams are absolute garbage every week and have 60-70 or even 80 put past them regularly, more teams the better, but you don't want the product to suffer, so I guess the RFL are doing it right.

it would only be a small drop in playing standards so hardly a big drop in the comp.

salford and widnes both deserve to be in SL, as do toulose and celtic.

getting rid of relegation will allow them to all build up.

dont have to play each team twice home and away.

SL will grow from 14 teams anyway in the future, the right number i feel is 20

i'm all for expansion,i'd love both celtic & toulouse get franchises this time round..but sadly i can see only 1 of them getting in along with a "traditional" club..

do i want top see oldham back in super league (we are founder members)...?

one day,but not yet...been there,done that,got the winding up order..

our chairman & CeO have said we are going to apply in 2011 for the next round of franchises...incidentally,using skys point system which will be used for the 2011 franchise round oldham will have B status.....like toulouse..

but super league is'nt the be all and end all of rugby league in the UK...our immediate aim is to be the best national league club...and should contiune to be until we out grow the national league...then and only then should we think about super league..

i wouldnt mind seeing oldham and salford both in SL in the future.

is the future of the club at the soccer ground?

not a bad ground by the way.

i was there cheering on the celtic crusaders over your team as they won promotion into NL1. fantastic atmosphere, almost s**t myself

roughyedspud

Coach
ORLFC is committed to finding our own stadium but until we do we'll be staying at the football ground,talking of which,work is about to begin on turning boundary park from this
boundarypark2.jpg

to this

C_71_article_1027773_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

which would tick all the "stadium boxes" in the super league criteria

screeny

Bench
I read on TRL a poster heard Trevor Hunt, a journo, say on the radio that TO will be offered a spot in NL1 so they can then apply for SL in 2012.

Also, off topic, but Kalgoorlie Red, I find your anti-Islamic slogan insulting and crass. It has no place on this forum. You should remove it.

I read on TRL a poster heard Trevor Hunt, a journo, say on the radio that TO will be offered a spot in NL1 so they can then apply for SL in 2012.

Also, off topic, but Kalgoorlie Red, I find your anti-Islamic slogan insulting and crass. It has no place on this forum. You should remove it.

thats interesting about toulose bing offered a spot in NL1.

i missed that on TRL.

that would be promising.

also means that they arent much of a chance now, so its down to widnes, celtic and salford.