What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse one step closer to ESL

Evil Homer

Staff member
Serious question.
IS Toulouse being relatively close to the Catalans regarded as a help or a hinderance to any ESL bid?
Toulouse isn't close to Perpignan at all. From Toulouse to Perpignan is about the same distance as from Hull to Warrington, the entire length of the English RL heartland. It may not be that far in terms of France, but France is a big country and its RL heartland is in the South West.

langpark

First Grade
I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant, i would rate it slightly more a positive than a negative that they're close to each other. And yes when i say close i mean in the grand scheme of things, it looks like about 200km which is nothing compared to the whole of paris.

I think it's best for France to concentrate all of its resources on this southern heartland, forget a place like paris.

I think if Toulouse and Catalans could become the two long term french teams playing in the Super League then the match between the two would become like a derby, and many fans would travel to the away match.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Toulouse and Perpinya are in the scheme of things not far apart and perfectly placed. They stradle the Aude and the addition of a team in Toulouse would mean probably 70% of current league fans in France would be represented by a 'local' team, covering a large swath of the rugby southwest with two centralised clubs playing in a high standard competition rather than the village/town clubs playing in the Elite.

Perhaps there is not enough high class French talent to fill a second team, but the Crusaders were in a similar position not long ago. The ffr need to funnel some of the recently successful U18 talent into Toulouse, keep them playing and get them winning in the Championship and throw everything at a franchise the next time the opportunity pops up. Two clubs in super league will lift league in France, not the Elite competition, which is important but will from now on play second fiddle.

RedVee

First Grade
Thanks Miguel.
Being 'relatively' close allows for a local derby feel, as opposed to a 2nd team being in Paris or Lyon which would be 'relatively' further away, but has the advantage of being another 'development' region.

mono_mal

Juniors
Agree with the majority that the location of Toullouse would be a positive for French league. French league is largely based in the South West with the core of Elite One and Elite Two based in this area.
The inclusion of Toullouse would increase media exposure and create a local rival for Catalans. Toullousse is a large city in its own respect and could adequately support a Super League team.
I think expansion teams should not be rushed in non-heartland areas and clubs should instead be built up through the Elite system. Lyon and Marseilles are obvious targets due to their proximity to the 'heartlands' whilst Paris should not be forgotten.
Lezignan have also dominated the Elite over recent seasons and whilst their small town locality would prevent them entering a SL team a Aude franchise, comprising Limoux, Lezignan and Carcassone may be feasible. From what Ive read this is the largest rugby league pocket in France!

winnyason

Juniors
And of course bowes quins have heaps of london players or the crusaders welsh get real mate who do you go for in the championship, you have a massive chip on your shoulder in regard to toulouse.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
Hi guys. Long time poster on TotalRL and RLFans, but first time poster on here. Thought I'd give my two pennies worth on this subject, starting with the following quotes:

And of course bowes quins have heaps of london players or the crusaders welsh get real mate who do you go for in the championship, you have a massive chip on your shoulder in regard to toulouse.
What? they live in London while they are playing for Quins?

I think there is a bit of an ignorance about Quins. If you look at their squad, a large chunk of their players are born or have been lived in London and come through the academy and been developed by the London RL system.

Jamie Callaghan, Tony Clubb, Olsi Krasniqi, Ben and Sam Bolger, Lamont Bryant, Dave Williams, Martyn Smith and Max Edwards just to name a few. Not to mention the recently transfered Louis McCarthey-Scarsbrook who they developed and is now at Saints and has played for England.

London are very much developing players, and have very few overseas players. Less than most clubs in SL in fact (Five: Howard, Dorn, Temata, Randell, Kouparitsas).

As for Toulouse entering Super League...

I think the best thing the RFL could do would be to work with Toulouse to see if they are suitable, and announce in July this year that they will be guaranteed a place in 2015. That gives them three years (just like Catalans originally had when they were announced in 2002 that they would be entering SL in 2005, although delayed a year) to build their business, their squad, sponsors, staff, etc. and prepare for SL without the pressure of having to meet certain criteria at certain times and very little actual preparation time.

Entering them in 2012 would be disastrous, not only for them (they aren't ready), but for the league (them not being ready would damage the league) and for the Championship (who have all worked towards criteria, and if TO don't meet it and still get in, what hope is there for them?) not to mention the RFL's credibility. It's not an option. And I feel following the Catalans model (early announcement with plenty of prep time) is definitely the best way forward for them.

Toulouse carrying on in the Championship is an interesting debate though.

They get better exposure in the Championship. But they aren't able to attract the better French players due to salary cap restrictions. Lezignan are probably a better team than TO, but there is no way they are better suited for the Super League as a club.
I think the best thing would be for Toulouse to go back to the French Elite, but have the top French teams and top Championship teams play in a European Club Championship. Leave the rest to play in the NRC.
Lezignan, Limoux, Halifax and Leigh in one group and Toulouse, Pia, Wakefield and Featherstone. Play each other home and away, with the top of each group in the final.
This would allow Toulouse to still play the top teams in the Championship, and allow them to attract the better French players with more money. It would also give a more attractive competition than the NRC, as well as giving lower clubs a genuine chance to win the NRC (although it has been won by teams outside the top four for the last two years).