What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Track conditions

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How did the track end up dead considering the weather.

A great moment in racing history didn't need to be so contrived imo.

Fair comment, but this horse is the greatest we have ever seen. If it had been 2 hard it would not have ran. At the end of the day all horses ran 3200 metres and Mkybe was the best.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it was watered down in the days prior to the race and the grass was about 4 to 6 inches high, so the soil had plenty of cover

alot of the overseas horses wont race if the track is too dry

Cletus

First Grade
Only Vinnie Roe wouldn't race, and where did that finsh? Most of the others wanted a firm track. I can't believe it was dead. And yeah I'm just bitter I didn't back Makybe. Great horse but I can't believe they watered the track so much, you'd hope they do it next year.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Onan the barbarian said:
Only Vinnie Roe wouldn't race, and where did that finsh? Most of the others wanted a firm track. I can't believe it was dead. And yeah I'm just bitter I didn't back Makybe. Great horse but I can't believe they watered the track so much, you'd hope they do it next year.

For the good of racing the VRC did NOT want the Diva to pull out therefore they had to water it perhaps fractionally more than usual. There would be a lot of annoyed fans if the Diva didn't race becuase the track was too dry!

Cletus

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
For the good of racing the VRC did NOT want the Diva to pull out therefore they had to water it perhaps fractionally more than usual. There would be a lot of annoyed fans if the Diva didn't race becuase the track was too dry!

Comeon. Is it a race or what? Can't have a good track, that'd disadvantage the favourite.
I can understand why the VRC would do it, I just don't think it's the right thing to do.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
If that's true than it's legacy tarnishing as far as I'm concerned. Contriving Melbourne Cup conditions to suit one particular horse because it refuses to race in any other conditions is ridiculous. If the horse is incapable of running on firm conditions than it should pay the penalty when the conditions are rightfully firm.

OVP

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
If that's true than it's legacy tarnishing as far as I'm concerned. Contriving Melbourne Cup conditions to suit one particular horse because it refuses to race in any other conditions is ridiculous. If the horse is incapable of running on firm conditions than it should pay the penalty when the conditions are rightfully firm.

I tell you what. We'll appoint you boss of the VRC and YOU personally can announce to hundreds of thousands of screaming victorians, who are baying for your blood, just exactly why you are forcing the scratching of the nation's biggest drawcard in the nation's biggest race by refusing to water the track. $1000 says you'd crap yourself.

You do raise a valid point tho ... but what were the VRC to do ? I agree if conditions are good to dead in a Melbourne Cup (which they werent due to the hardness of the track) then you shouldnt touch the track. However its too dangerous to have such a hard track in such a long race. How many horses would become lame or break down, especially the European ones ? I think they did the right thing. The track was NOT rated "good" before they watered it ... so they were well within the laws to do that.

Cletus

First Grade
OVP said:
I tell you what. We'll appoint you boss of the VRC and YOU personally can announce to hundreds of thousands of screaming victorians, who are baying for your blood, just exactly why you are forcing the scratching of the nation's biggest drawcard in the nation's biggest race by refusing to water the track. $1000 says you'd crap yourself.

You do raise a valid point tho ... but what were the VRC to do ? I agree if conditions are good to dead in a Melbourne Cup (which they werent due to the hardness of the track) then you shouldnt touch the track. However its too dangerous to have such a hard track in such a long race. How many horses would become lame or break down, especially the European ones ? I think they did the right thing. The track was NOT rated "good" before they watered it ... so they were well within the laws to do that.

Please. How many cows with wet track form came in before that? Sounds like they were being very kind to Vinnie Roe and Makybe. Not saying Makybe didn't deserve to win it, just wondering why it had to be so wet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how many bloody Kiwi horses come over here and can only win in the wet, if the track is hard, they are scratched

contrived result, what a crock of sh*t

most of the horses in the race prefer the sting out of the track, after all, its in Victoria, not excalty our driest state

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Twizzle said:
how many bloody Kiwi horses come over here and can only win in the wet, if the track is hard, they are scratched

contrived result, what a crock of sh*t

most of the horses in the race prefer the sting out of the track, after all, its in Victoria, not excalty our driest state

Xcellent would have won if the track was firm;-)

Nuffs

Bench
a 31 degree day would normally dry the track out fairly quickly
for some reason it just didn't dry out until alot later in the day

too much water was put on in hindsight, as the conditions didn't change as predicted

It is actually in the VRC guidelines for track preparation that it is to be presented between Dead and Good. Once it is between those ratings at the start of the day, it is open to the weather. There was no wind yesterday, and that is why the track didn't dry out as much as expected. Immediately after the cup, the track was upgraded to good. Terry Watson did his job to the letter of the law

lockyno1

Post Whore
Onan the barbarian said:
Comeon. Is it a race or what? Can't have a good track, that'd disadvantage the favourite.
I can understand why the VRC would do it, I just don't think it's the right thing to do.

They watered the track and unfortuantely there was no wind in Melbourne yesterday. That decreased the chance of the track drying up a bit. Yes it suited Makybe Diva but the reality is that the VRC only watered it to the amount they usually water it. Usually in Melbourne it is windy, so it dries out quick. Just the way it is. Makybe Diva, is a legend. Great way to go out!

Moffo

Referee
the track suited the diva too the ground

no doubting that

the diva was the best horse, but still, the win was tempered by the condition of the track

Macca_

Coach
Watering wasn't an issue in the few cups recently because rain was around. It's been an issue this year...

It wouldn't have mattered what the penotometer said on Cup Day, she would have won anyway. Unless of course if it was abone dry like the Japan tracks she raced on. But they are never like that here, and if they were like that it would have been watered anyway.

Latest posts