What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training base

hutch

First Grade
Does anyone know if we have changed training locations yet? I know that we are finishing up at concord either this year of next and it didnt look like concord on the need tonight. Any ideas as to where we will be based in the future?

The Rosco

Bench
Hutch,
I noticed the different background in the interviews done yesterday.
I reckon it looks like a sports oval just up the road from camp Concordia.
Cricket pitch, white picket fence and used for kiddies union or league in winter.
I might go for an incognito sniff around next Wednesday and file a report :lol:

hutch

First Grade
Fair enough, I know we are looking to move in the future somewhere though. I wish GWS would hurry up and fold so we can take their facilities at Sydney Olympic park. Drives me crazy that they have such a great setup and we are stuck in the 80's.

innsaneink

Referee
Reports earlier in the year suggested we'd need to be out of Concord by October...

Theyre at Rothwell Park Concord about 1km from everything else....things are getting worse

BuffaloRules

Coach
Only the best for the Tigers...

Compared to the facilities for the Rooster, Dogs and Souffs it's laughable...

innsaneink

Referee
Rothwell-Park.png

First look at Wests Tigers’ new $27 million training base

THE Wests Tigers will transform their dilapidated Concord Oval training base into a state of the art $27 million centre of excellence.

Long considered to have the worst facilities of any NRL club, the Tigers plan to reconstruct Concord Oval into a multipurpose elite sporting and community centre by midway through 2018.

Work is expected to start on the project — which The Sunday Telegraph has obtained exclusive details of — next June and will see a high performance training centre established on the Parramatta Road side of Concord Oval.

The existing grandstand and dressing sheds, which also house Tigers football and administration staff, will be pulled down.

Other elements of the plan include;
— Administration officers for Wests Tigers staff and other sporting organisations
— Aquatic recovery and hydrotherapy pools
— Multimedia studio
— Classrooms and lecture facilities
— Wests Tigers retail shop
— Community cafe and athlete dining facilities
— Multi-sport community facilities and commercial leasing zones.

Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe described the current setup at Concord Oval as “substandard to an elite professional environment”.

“If I was a player and I was looking at some of our competitor’s facilities and looking at our current facility I would be second guessing whether or not I am going to be improving my football,” Pascoe said.

“That’s an outsider’s view looking in. Once you become part of our fabric we hope to make sure that the player is developing better than at any other place. If you’re a young kid aspiring to be an elite athlete and you’re looking at our facilities versing others it would be a deciding factor that would be negative to us.”

The Tigers had earmarked Liverpool as their permanent training base as the state government’s WestConnex project was to have impacted Concord Oval.

The Tigers will lobby local, state and federal governments to assist with funding and are confident they will be a beneficiary of the state government’s pledge to match dollar for dollar any club looking to build a centre of excellence.

“This is an opportunity for us to create a legacy for this organisation moving forward,” Pascoe said. “It takes what currently is an environment which is probably from the outside in bricks and mortar not conducive to an elite environment.

“It will allow us to attract and retain talent — on and off the field. (Concord) is part of our geographical footprint. It’s about attracting players and staff to an area which is pretty central to Sydney.

“Commercially it sets up this organisation for the future. Funding is always challenging with these projects but I’m comfortable with what we are proposing.”

Balmain’s junior representative teams are also expected to use Concord as their training and administration base.

Pascoe is no stranger to developing multi-million dollar training projects having been part of the AFL’s Western Bulldogs revamped training base and more recently Penrith’s $22 million training facility.

“This will define how we are represented in the market place and how we want to be represented to the playing group,” Pascoe said. “It’s the thing that drives me on a day-to-day basis.”
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/we...e/news-story/b5118cb33adcf2bf21853f5bce662db8

Very interesting, I had forgotten all about the plans for Liverpool.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets see how many times part of it is knocked back and redeveloped for innocuous reasons, as is the norm these days

The Rosco

Bench
It seems to attract a lot of birds. Many of them could be introduced species that will have a negative impact on our indigenous bird species.
How long has it been since you saw a sparrow ?. Exactly !.
The Indian Mynah birds ( not the Australian Mynah birds) are over- populating and eradicating our native species.
Too many birds in that pic. Forget it, that building ain't going ahead.

*Direct from the office of some hippie in council planning dept

gordsy

Juniors
How do we pay for this when we can't even pay off our Nrl loan. This talk of a dollar for dollar payment is just cr@p.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The local council will foot most of the bill so long as it is a community building

macnaz

Staff member
It seems to attract a lot of birds. Many of them could be introduced species that will have a negative impact on our indigenous bird species.
How long has it been since you saw a sparrow ?. Exactly !.
The Indian Mynah birds ( not the Australian Mynah birds) are over- populating and eradicating our native species.
Too many birds in that pic. Forget it, that building ain't going ahead.

*Direct from the office of some hippie in council planning dept

You have it all wrong Rosco , we cant discriminate against them , the Greens will give the go ahead if we provide the counselling and tafe courses , medicare and appropriate welfare to help the poor Mynah Bird assimilate .

But I love the plan , not sure what is is offering the greater west though . Ashfield are calling the shots so at least we cant hear all the sooky Magpie V Balmain crap.

magpie4ever

First Grade
What I don't understand about this story is the mention of the demolishing of the western grandstand and the venue will be situated on the parramatta rd side of Concord Oval.

The historical gates of Concord Oval are on that corner and would be heritage listed.

Having played (junior league) on Concord Oval pre union world cup redevelopment, the spare land was and is to the north of the ground - Queen street side.

It doesn't make sense to me, you just don't level a grandstand.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I don't understand about this story is the mention of the demolishing of the western grandstand and the venue will be situated on the parramatta rd side of Concord Oval.

The historical gates of Concord Oval are on that corner and would be heritage listed.

Having played (junior league) on Concord Oval pre union world cup redevelopment, the spare land was and is to the north of the ground - Queen street side.

It doesn't make sense to me, you just don't level a grandstand.
as we've seen at Leichhardt.

I fully agree with you though, the gates more than anything will be damn near impossible to work around. Why not use that Car park space on the Northern side, off Gipps Street I think it is? Looked empty last time I was there.

Last edited: