What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trbojevic's

Dutchy

Immortal
Good read, for the DT.

Jake and Tom Trbojevic are the future of the Manly Sea Eagles, writes Matthew Johns

Kieran Foran: "Glad we can fully focus on footy now"

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...pg&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc
The Trbojevic brothers, Jake and Tom, are class acts in every aspect of their lives.

On the field they’re the future of the Manly Sea Eagles.

Jake is the best young front-rower in the game and is enjoying a breakout season and getting better with each passing week.

Tom is a sporting prodigy who was wanted by not just most NRL clubs, but rugby union and AFL — he was desperately pursued by the Sydney Swans, whose talent scouts said they’d never seen athleticism like it.

Jake Trbojevic celebrates a try scored by his brother Tom Trbojevic (19) against the Bron
Jake Trbojevic celebrates a try scored by his brother Tom Trbojevic (19) against the Broncos.

In all my life in rugby league, I’ve never seen anyone with the freakish ability to score tries like Tom Trbojevic.

LATE MAIL: Bennett promotes Oates

BIG LOSS: Best player your club turfed

PREPARATIONS: Barrett eyes Cheik book

But these two young men aren’t just terrific rugby league, they are outstanding young men.

THE FAMILY

The Trbojevic family are well known on the Northern Beaches, particularly when it comes to sport. Few give more of their time to junior sport than the Trbojevics.

“Big John” Trbojevic is a local legend. If you’re reading this in Moree, Kurri Kurri or Coffs Harbour you’ll know what Big John’s about, because every town has one.

He’s the bloke who gives 10 times as much as he takes. If there’s a side that needs coaching, a raffle that needs running, a BBQ that needs cooking or a kid who needs pulling into line, Big John’s the man.

Ballin on shoulder charge: "Safety needs to come first"

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...pg&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc
Big John, like so many old footballers, walks with a limp from two dodgy knees caused by playing on too many hard, dodgy ovals back in the day.

If you go down to Newport Oval every Saturday morning, you’re certain to see the entire Trbojevic clan down there.

They are the great champions of the Mona Vale Raiders Junior Rugby League club.

Every Saturday morning Big John is down there, limping around, doing whatever needs to be done.

Jake and Tom’s mum, Melissa, is in the canteen, always with a warm smile from early morning to, at times, late afternoon.

Jake and Tom have two younger brothers as well.

There’s 15-year-old Luke, who is an outstanding cricketer, a wicketkeeper batsman. Then there’s 13-year-old Ben, who is already over 6ft and showing some serious signs of rugby league talent himself.

Tom Trbojevic and Jake Trbojevic are helping out with the Mona Vale Raiders.
Tom Trbojevic and Jake Trbojevic are helping out with the Mona Vale Raiders.

Luke and Ben, like Tom and Jake before them, spend their Saturday mornings giving back to their junior club, whether that be umpiring in cricket or refereeing the mini and mod football.

All four Trbojevic boys don’t get their sense of duty and community spirit by accident, these young men are well raised.

EDUCATION

Finding the balance for a young footballer, between being fully dedicated to your studies and giving yourself the best opportunity to make it in rugby league, has never been more difficult.

NRL junior rep players train more now than we first graders did back in the 90s.

It’s hard for school work not to suffer.

It was no different for the Trbojevic family.

Young Tom was involved in so much sport and on top of that, representative teams, that John and Melissa had real concerns how he would find the time for study, particularly since most of Tom’s subjects were of the 4 unit variety.

On the day the HSC results were announced Tom was on the training field and he anxiously asked the Manly trainer if he wouldn’t mind checking the results for him.

Geoff Toovey says he'd love to coach the Kangaroos

The trainer returned with Tom’s score, 94.3%.

Tom has continued his studies at University, with a double degree in Applied Finance and Economics.

Jake himself was a top drawer student with a Bachelor of Management in Sport and Exercise.

CHARACTER

One Saturday last year I ducked down to my local Ex-Servicemen’s Club and ran into Manly stars Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai.

I enjoyed their company for a couple of hours until Lyon declared he’d head home for dinner and called young Jake Trbojevic to come and pick him up and take him home.

I was a little surprised at this arrangement. Lyon and Matai told me Jake wasn’t much for alcohol and had told them, call me when you want to head home and I’ll get you. Apparently he did this regularly.

Jake turned up and I spent about half an hour with him and could not have been more impressed.

At the time Jake was going through a frustrating period, he’d suffered a number of serious foot and ankle injuries which were preventing him from establishing himself as a first grader.

He told me he was suffering great anxiety, terrified that injuries were going to prevent him from realising his dream.

Jake Trbojevic on the charge against the Warriors.
Jake Trbojevic on the charge against the Warriors.

At that point I knew Jake was special, that deep rooted fear of NOT making it, is a champion’s quality.

Manly stalwart Peter Peters told me Jake is the only player he’s ever encountered who asks to be put in direct contact with charity requests or simply people just wanting to get a jersey signed.

I might also add that this season, Jake volunteered to be the ground announcer at every Manly junior rep game at Brookvale Oval.

It’s Jake’s way of thanking the Sea Eagles for his opportunity.

I only got to meet Tom last week. He and two mates called Fox Sports and got tickets to our Monday Night Show.

Our producer came in surprised and told us Tom Trbojevic had just arrived with the rest of the audience.

I invited him into the Fox Sports green room before the show so Gordy, Hindy and Fletch had the opportunity to meet the young star.

What blew us all away firstly was Tom’s stature, he literally towered over Gordon. But secondly, it was his polite, humble nature which left the greatest impression.

Willie Mason has his say on the concussion regulations

FRIDAY NIGHT

On Friday night at Brookvale Oval Manly walk a tightrope in an effort to make the finals.

Tom has been named to play in the under 20s but I refuse to believe it. Surely he’ll be a late inclusion, at least in the 17.

His type of talent can no longer be denied. Against the Warriors U20’s two weeks back he showed that he’s gone past that level of competition many months ago.

His performance last week against the Broncos was that of a young man whose time has come.

None-the-less you won’t hear any complaints from Tom.

In Jake’s case Friday night presents a great challenge.

Souths may not have the middle-third power game of 2014 but they still present a formidable task for a young front-rower still learning the ropes.

If Jake and his fellow forwards can hold Souths through the middle, Manly win.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...es-matthew-johns/story-fnp0lyn3-1227472796579

tye

Juniors
Jake copped another head knock last night. Must be a concern that he has so many so young.

pink v

Juniors
Hi Pinky

:nwave:

Thanks for dropping by again.

Do you comb shopping centres waiting for someone to leave a minute or two on the "pay for internet" stations? :D

yea been 2 avon havn a coffee cros the road old pittwater rd that is jeep is at warringah mall wat drain pipe do u live in at caboolture u smelly canetoad.

Jimmy779

Juniors
Having known, Tom, Jake, Luke and Ben for most of my schooling life and mates with someone who has known them his whole life, Being Mona Raiders juniors they still help out with coaching and training, Jake and Tom will never leave Manly. You could say this about every player but speaking to Ben ( the youngest one ) he said to me that Manly was where they grew up and nothing could seperate them from their beloved Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, if Manly don't re-sign them they will do as much as it takes to stay there. Tom is the kind of person that would take less money to stay with a team he loves. He has been a fan of manly for most of his life and he will stand his mark and prove how much potential he has with the sea eagles

Over and out

zombie jesus

Staff member
Having known, Tom, Jake, Luke and Ben for most of my schooling life and mates with someone who has known them his whole life, Being Mona Raiders juniors they still help out with coaching and training, Jake and Tom will never leave Manly. You could say this about every player but speaking to Ben ( the youngest one ) he said to me that Manly was where they grew up and nothing could seperate them from their beloved Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, if Manly don't re-sign them they will do as much as it takes to stay there. Tom is the kind of person that would take less money to stay with a team he loves. He has been a fan of manly for most of his life and he will stand his mark and prove how much potential he has with the sea eagles

Over and out

We'll said.

Their love for the club and area in general is well known, that's why they have been so popular with the fans in the know, even before hitting first grade. It's just a bonus that Jake and Tom will be international quality players in time as well as being great people. A great family to have associated with the club.

The only risk is some disastrous decision making from the current administration, and quite honestly, with some of the egos involved, I wouldn't put it past them.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
yea been 2 avon havn a coffee cros the road old pittwater rd that is jeep is at warringah mall wat drain pipe do u live in at caboolture u smelly canetoad.

Is this some form of homeless language?

Well done on trying to spread the word to those of us with jobs, houses....and lives. But we don't understand what the f*ck any of that said.

Hope the public toilets are treating you well Pinky Dink :D

Latest posts