What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett - Muppet coach

coolsteve

Juniors
Has he a game plan? oh yeah, 5 forwards up the middle then kick the ball to the nearest opposition. FMD, this guy has no clue. And he can take Lewis Brown with him when he goes.Does Matthew Wright know how to stay on his winger?Lussic is a clown.Miles was a bit better in defence than he has been.Frustrating watching this shit:?

Pomoz

Bench
Coolsteve, I was never convinced by him when he coached at the Panthers. He coaches u20 they fail to make the finals. The next year a rookie coach wins a premiership with the same team. The best players don't make the coaches. Bennett and Bellamy were no mugs as players, but they were hardly legends of the game. As coaches though.......

Lewis Brown is a good un, don't worry you'll get value from him. He does have a brain explosion know and then. Expect knock ons, forward passes that sort of thing. Massive ticker though. You need more players with his attitude and energy.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Barrett is crap, recruitment is crap.. paid overs for hacks.. Long lean year ahead... I really hope Barrett is sacked... only the wooden spoon with seal his fate.

drago brelli

Bench
At full strength Manly are more than competitive. Manly need Lyon to play one more year but at 6. The player who looks past his best is Myles but they are stuck with him for another three years on $550.

coolsteve

Juniors
game plan seems to be 5 forwards up the middle, then pass to the 1/2 who runs around circles

Nice Beaver

First Grade
game plan seems to be 5 forwards up the middle, then pass to the 1/2 who runs around circles

I take your point about the attack being pretty simplistic, but what do you expect given the constant chopping and changing to what is essentially a new team?

It's a bit hard to develop fluency in attack when a) we have used 11 different halves combinations so far this year, and b) one of those halves who has been there more than the others is in his first season playing the position (in first grade).

If we had a player turnover of 20 players this year and were in this position I'd be agreeing with you 100%.

But as it stands, we have used 27 players (so far) this season, so I'll reserve judgement.

Last edited:

coolsteve

Juniors
I think Brett Stewart needs a kick up the arse too, should be stepping up with all the injuries

zombie jesus

Staff member
Toovey got the arse, that was shitty, but I didn't hold that against Barrett, not his fault.

Plenty since then has changed my mind. Whether it's him or Bozo, it doesn't matter, he signed up for it.

His excuses don't wash, Toovey was in the same spot, with a lesser squad and was dumped without a second thought. We all know the context in which he was sacked but Manly decided to go the results driven business line publicly.

They've dug themselves and Trent a big hole.

v7SiumZ.jpg

latest

eagles4eva

First Grade
Manly Backing Barrett, For Now
Manly chairman Scott Penn has issued his first warning to coach Trent Barrett

Manly chairman Scott Penn has issued his first warning to coach Trent Barrett, saying the club's current results will be unacceptable once their star players return.

The Sea Eagles have slumped to 14th on the NRL ladder with just four wins in their opening 13 games, however they have suffered continual injury issues with a number of players, including halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, captain Jamie Lyon and centre Steve Matai, who is out for the season.

And while Penn said he was backing Barrett given the current injury toll, he said things had to change once the team was back to full strength.

"Once we start to get some consistency with players on the field, if were not performing then, we'll have a different conversation," Penn told News Corp Australia.

"We can't lay all the blame on that but certainly that's a significant factor.

"We have had injuries in every key position. That makes it very difficult."

Barrett is midway through his first season of a three-year deal at the club, after the Sea Eagles opted to terminate the final year of former coach Geoff Toovey's contract.

The club also recruited a number of high-profile players including Dylan Walker, Apisai Koroisau, Darcy Lussick, Matt Parcell, Nate Myles, Martin Taupau and Lewis Brown, however to this stage the team are yet to fire.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/6/manly-sea-eagles-backing-trent-barrett/

reanimate

Bench
Nothing about the bloke suggested he would be a good first grade coach, he was shit at Penrith, shit as a rep coach and is now a complete joke as a first grade coach. This will go down in the club's annals as one of our biggest recruitment mistakes, he has absolutely no idea what he's doing.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I still remember Warren Ryan on ABC radio calling Dragons games when Barrett was captain.....he reckoned he was the most overated representative player and ran sideways like a crab. Always made me laugh as I thought the same and the Dragons were a better team without him. Good luck with him as your coach as he's in the same league as Mary Mcgreggor......clueless!!!

forby

Juniors
Penrith won the 20s in 2013, Barrett coached them in 2014 and they missed the semis. A rookie coach, Cameron Ciraldo coached them in 2015 and they won the competition again. Doesn't say much for his coaching ability.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I've tried hard to ignore the fact I hated watching him as a player. Never rated him. Never saw what got him blues jerseys.

He has got nothing positive out of anybody in the squad. I hand on heart believe not a single player has improved this season. That says it all really.

As far as I am concerned, it was a stupid idea to sign a rookie coach for 3 years. Especially straight after a clean out. But the bigger problem is Cartwright. He is there to assist and mentor... Once again he is a coach I never rated as well. Why bring him in? What can he really add to the equation? He doesn't know how big matches are won as a coach, he doesn't know anything about finals footy...

Toovey got a real hard deal. He was handed a busted salary cap to work with, a bunch of players that in all honesty were batting above their weight helped in part by an aging, yet quality back line.

Manly has always really only achieved under coaches that know the club really well, but usually played for the club. I realise it was a political move on Toovey, but Cleary or getting Da$$ler back would have been a better fit.

t-ba

Post Whore
Masterful bit of recruitment by Mr Fluffy and his clique of 1970s hasbeens this one.