What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL :: 9 Feb :: Broncos 30 Central 12 @ Theodore, QLD

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2008 NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE TRIAL MATCH

SATURDAY 9 FEBRUARY
Brisbane Broncos v Central Comets
Theodore, QLD :: 6:00pm kickoff

Location: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=theodore+qld&ie=UTF8&ll=-25.259601,150.990601&spn=1.848007,3.652954&z=9&om=0

centen-bri.jpg

Match discussion, teams, result etc, post here.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Berrigan Rates NYC Squad
by Steve Ricketts, Saturday February 09, 2008
Source: The Courier Mail

FORMER Broncos top grade hooker Barry Berrigan can't fault the attitude of the players in Brisbane's inaugural Broncos under-20s squad.

It's high praise indeed when someone blessed with Berrigan's work ethic says the squad members, mainly 18-year-olds, are not adverse to taking orders or putting their shoulders to the wheel.

Berrigan (pictured), whose NRL career was ended by a neck injury in 2006, is the under-20's fitness chief and has been running the squad for six weeks.

``They're good kids,' he said yesterday. ``I ask them to do something and they do it. I can't fault them. Their life is pretty full on with training five days a week on top of their work or studies.

``You couldn't ask to work at a better club and I couldn't be happier with the role I've got.'

Berrigan, who also works as personal trainer away from football, will make a playing comeback this year in the Brisbane Second Division for his junior club, Wests Mitchelton.

``I might only play two or three games,' he said. ``It's just a bit of fun with blokes I grew up with. I haven't been back

to the doctor but I feel good and I won't do much with 'Mitchy' anyway. I'll hide.'

Under-20s coach Anthony Griffin will be in charge of the Broncos squad to play Central Comets at Theodore tonight.

Former Cronulla winger Reece Robinson (virus) is a late scratching with former Queensland under-17 representative Luke Samoa his replacement.

The team is: Josh Hoffman; Jharal Yow Yeh, Alex Glenn, William Tupou, Luke Samoa; Tim Yee, Ben Hunt; Ryan Barton, Michael Roberts (c), Guy Ford, Palmer Wapau, Derrick Watkins, Michael Spence. Inter: Nathan Strudwick, Brendon Gibb, Leon Panapa, Wiremu Ratana, Matt Handcock.

http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?MenuID=270&NewsID=3396

gong_eagle

First Grade
Broncos Down Comets In Trial

by Trad McLean, Saturday February 09, 2008
Source: Bronco Media
http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=270&MenuID=270&NewsID=3398

A YOUNG Brisbane Broncos outfit has come over the top of the Central Comets in the Queensland town of Theodore tonight.
A side made up of mostly under-20 eligible players were shocked to be behind 12-0 to the Comets after just 14 minutes, in a match NRL player Ben Hannant made a surprise cameo.
But after some adjustments by coach Anthony Griffin at the first-quarter break, the Broncos struck into gear.
Three tries in the second quarter had it level at 12-all at halftime, and after the break the Broncos, captained by Mick Roberts (pictured), went on with it for a 30-12 victory.

"I thought Ben Hunt was easily our best player, and another local Central Qeenslander Brendon Gibb went well also," said Griffin.

"This was our first real hit-out together, so to give away a start and be able to come back from that was a pretty strong effort."

Shannon Wood and Brent Williams had posted tries for the Comets early, with the Broncos not getting onto the board until the 26th minute.
That came when Gibb scored in the 26th minute after a bomb from one of the Broncos’ stars, halfback Hunt.
Will Tupou and then Alex Glenn scored before the break.
The Broncos got ahead in the 55th minute when Hunt ran into a hole off a nice ball from Palmer Wapau.
With 10 minutes remaining, and Hannant on the field, Tim Yee made it safe with a try that stuck the score out to 24-12.
Just before the final siren prop Guy Ford celebrated a return to his native area when he went over near the posts.
For the Broncos, man of the match Hunt was also well supported by Mitchell Dodds and Tupou.
The Broncos next match will be a full-scale NRL trial against the North Queensland Cowboys at Rockhampton’s Browne Park next Saturday.

BRONCOS 30 (B Gibb, W Tupou, A Glenn, B Hunt, T Yee, G Ford tries; L Samoa 3 goals) defeated CENTRAL COMETS 12 (S Wood, B Williams tries; N Bowman 2 goals).